Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I ride my HT xc bike wth a rigid post the more I want to try a dropper post as I’m getting more and more into technical trials and with more confidence riding more aggressively.

im 6’7” with a 39” inseam so I was wondering what taller riders think on the minimum travel necessary to make the investment worth it for a taller rider? The catch is my bike has a 27.2” post diameter so 125mm travel appears to be the longest available made in that seatpost diameter (correct me if I’m mistaken).

is 125mm enough travel in your valued opinions to be worth it?...or should I just keep it as is and start saving my pennies and go all in and get a full suspension bike?...which lets be serious, is just a matter of time!

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
My 5'7 friend has a 125mm on his Honzo, and wants more. I'm 5'9.5" and won't go less than my 160mm Bikeyoke Revive.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The main purpose is getting the seat out of the way. 125mm will do that just fine. Anything more than that is simply preference.

At 6-3 my preference is 150mm and that’s whats on my Yeti SB5. But I can hardly tell the difference when I get on my Trek hard tail with a 125mm dropper.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well, let's see, can you lower your saddle 5" into the frame? If so, then try doing this and see what difference it makes. To me 125mm/4.75" is quite a lot from the high post position and will make quite the difference in your ability to move about the bike easier. I say go for it, but just be aware that you're a big guy and when you go from a solid post to a dropper with seals etc, that sitting on it when you used to sit on the rigid post, might not have the seals lasting so long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts