Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tonic Fall Guy
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice some great advice the other day on this forum (THANKS!) I've decided I should grab a dropper for my Transition Throttle. I've tried to make the move from a FS to the aggressive HT to simplify things a bit, but realized my riding style would be best served by a dropper. Originally, I ruled them out because so many of them have kicked the curb on me without even aggressive use.

Anyway, I'm 5'11 with a 30" inseam (basically, a gorilla) so was thinking 150mm was spot on. Any advice on a brand that's reliable and won't break the bank? Was thinking about the KS LEV, but it's not hydraulic and won't require bleeding, etc...Just cable-routed (internally on the Throttle). Thinking used ones would be good. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
I've been thrilled with my brandX which I think shares cartridges with giant, PNW, maybe oneup? Maybe a few others.

The cartridge droppers are the way to go. They're WAY cheaper, work just as well, cost less to service, cost less or nothing in maintenance, and they're competitive weight-wise.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Advice some great advice the other day on this forum (THANKS!) I've decided I should grab a dropper for my Transition Throttle. I've tried to make the move from a FS to the aggressive HT to simplify things a bit, but realized my riding style would be best served by a dropper. Originally, I ruled them out because so many of them have kicked the curb on me without even aggressive use.

Anyway, I'm 5'11 with a 30" inseam (basically, a gorilla) so was thinking 150mm was spot on. Any advice on a brand that's reliable and won't break the bank? Was thinking about the KS LEV, but it's not hydraulic and won't require bleeding, etc...Just cable-routed (internally on the Throttle). Thinking used ones would be good. Thanks!
Almost same exact spec as you with an apex index of about +1.5" (6' with 31" inseam). I am currently riding a 150mm dropper and while it is nice, I am kinda wishing I had gone longer (170mm+) just to have that extra drop as I have about 4" of exposed dropper tube (not stanchion) between the collar of the Dropper and the collar of my Seatpost.

OneUp is a good brand and relatively cheap, my SDG Tellis has been awesome over the last few months since I got my bike and previously had the PNW Components droppers and loved them (incredible customer service). So really, you can't go wrong with most droppers today as they are all good. Make sure to do your research though as some still have known issues (like RS Reverb)

·
Ride On!
1,186 Posts
Been riding a OneUp Dropper V2 now for about a month. Found it very easy to install and setup. Only thing that bothered me is that the action was not as smooth as I like. Followed some advice on another thread about taking it apart and lubing it with Slickoleum, just went out for my first ride and it is now buttery smooth, dang near as smooth as the BikeYoke dropper it replaced (wanted more travel).

Instructions on how to do it can be found here:"https://vimeo.com/348913657" (not sure why it did not embed)
The video is for the V1 dropper, but everything is the same except that there is not the o-ring in the actuator. If you have a OneUp Dropper, it is highly recommended to do this!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been thrilled with my brandX which I think shares cartridges with giant, PNW, maybe oneup? Maybe a few others.

The cartridge droppers are the way to go. They're WAY cheaper, work just as well, cost less to service, cost less or nothing in maintenance, and they're competitive weight-wise.
While we don't share cartridges/have an association with BrandX, One Pivot is correct in that servicing these dropper posts is pretty straightforward and simple! Being cable-actuated, there is no bleeding required. We also offer a 3 year warranty on all of our posts!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
150mm is likely good, but make sure it fits. That means at full extension you can set the saddle height at your normal best pedaling height without the stanchion collar hitting the seat post clamp or the bottom of the seatpost hitting something in the seat tube.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,549 Posts
My advice: get whichever dropper you like but above all else, get the longest dropper that'll fit your frame. Measure how much room you've currently got between your frame's seat collar and your saddle rails, then look for droppers that maximize drop within that amount of space. Whichever dropper you choose, make sure the dropper's shaft that gets inserted inside your frame won't contact bottle bosses, internal pivot restrictions, tubing bends, etc. before it's fully inserted.

Once you've been riding a dropper for a while, assuming you utilize it to it's full capability, you'll know why you wanted the longest dropper that'll fit. Before that, just about any length dropper would seem adequate.
=sParty

·
Registered
377 Posts
Once you've been riding a dropper for a while, assuming you utilize it to it's full capability, you'll know why you wanted the longest dropper that'll fit. Before that, just about any length dropper would seem adequate.
Good advice.

Luckily, we've made it easier to determine how much drop you can fit with just two simple measurements.

We'll even tell you how we stack up against the other guys.

*Spoiler Alert - No one offers more drop for your bike.

https://can.oneupcomponents.com/pages/oneup-dropper-post-selector-v2

Jon @ OneUp

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,549 Posts
Good advice.

Luckily, we've made it easier to determine how much drop you can fit with just two simple measurements.

We'll even tell you how we stack up against the other guys.

*Spoiler Alert - No one offers more drop for your bike.

https://can.oneupcomponents.com/pages/oneup-dropper-post-selector-v2

Jon @ OneUp
It's true, Jon. I've purchased two OneUp droppers so far including two in 210mm length. I'm about to purchase a third OneUp dropper for my 5'3" tall girlfriend, who's currently running a competitor's 125mm post. Switching to OneUp will allow her to achieve 140mm drop (150mm post minus 10mm shim). She'll gain 15mm of drop compared to her current (inferior) post, which is a big deal at her height. Thanks to OneUp for coming to the rescue.
=sParty

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Fan of the 210 oneup myself. Personally I find it easier to micro adjust than my revive. Smooth is cool and all but not sure smooth equates to functionality. Factor in price and the extra 25mm's and the unfortunate superlative "no-brainer" comes to mind.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Get a Bike Yoke Revive, mechanical, one of the most (the most?) reliable on the market, butter smooth, you can rebuild at home (if you ever need it) and stellar costumer service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.