Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am thinking about putting a dropper post on my Czar. I have never had a dropper post before so I am not aware of what to consider in relation to for example fit in the frame, suitable stroke length for the Czar and XC and cable routing.

Do you have any advice or thoughts you would like to share? Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I have a Reverb 30.9 x 380mm with 125mm drop. Left hand remote since my left side is clear of shifter.

Droppers are awesome when not broken....having said that I rarely ride with one. My Czar is a dedicated xc race bike and I'm usually on non-crazy trails or my body keeps me off the nasty stuff. Obviously many ride their Czars on technical trails worthy of a dropper.

·
Registered
218 Posts
When I'm not racing XC I sport a KS Lev on mine. Works great. No complaints. It's just as much a game changer on the Czar just as much as any other bike.

I have the 150mm drop version which suits me well since I have a 35.5" inseam. You may want a different drop depending on your preference. Turner hooked me up with a few double-sided screw in cable guides which work flawlessly for routing the dropper cable + front der (if you have one)

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
Hi

I am thinking about putting a dropper post on my Czar. I have never had a dropper post before so I am not aware of what to consider in relation to for example fit in the frame, suitable stroke length for the Czar and XC and cable routing.

Do you have any advice or thoughts you would like to share? Thanks in advance! :)
I'm running a Specialized Command Post on my Czar, and I love it. I've thought about removing for race days, but I kept it on for last weekend's outing.

Mine is a 25mm/100mm drop. I rarely drop it all the way down, but the 25mm drop is really nice to get the seat out of the way for the "slightly more gnar than an XC course" terrain and still be able to keep pedaling.

I'm running a 2x10 on mine and had to get the double sided cable guides to run the front derailleur cable and dropper cable on the top tube.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think 100 mm drop is too little? Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the dropper cable routing?

I use my bike as an XC bike, but I think that many of the local license races are following the trend you see in the world cup where the routes get more and more technical. That made me think that the speed I loose on the uphill might be more than balanced by faster technical sections. If nothing else I think dropping the saddle (for now manually with my regular seat post) increase the fun of the ride dramatically :)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I have a new 2014 Reverb for sale. Fits the Czar: 380mm length with 125mm drop, LH remote. $215 plus $12 shipping in US.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I've run a dropper for so many years that I can't imagine not having the benefit of being able to get low and behind the saddle for the typical terrain I ride. So I slapped a Thomson Elite Dropper on my Czar. Love it. If I end up racing or riding smooth single track it's super simple to pull the dropper and replace it with a rigid seat post.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your comments. I will go ahead and get one :)

Right now I am thinking about buying the rock shox reverb or the kind shock lev. The other posts with a good reputation, like the Thomson, are to expensive here in EU. I like the fixed cable routing of the lev and the clean black look and remote on the reverb.

·
Derrick
2 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a LEV 125mm (385mm long) dropper post. The max insertion on the Med CZAR is only 6.5 inches (165 mm). I have a 31.5" inseam or a 7065mm crank center to top of seat height.

The 100mm is currently not an option. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I currently have a 2012 5-spot that has 200mm of seatpost showing atmy proper height.

thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
BrianBak- I went with a Lev now they're all black like the Reverb.... Really happy with it... I've had a reverb on my previous bike for over two years and the Lev seems as good so far!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I just added a Thomson dropper and some flats to my Czar. I'm totally digging it!

Install was a cinch. If yolu have a FD, you just replace the cable holders with double-sided. I emailed Turner and they sent some my way. Thanks everyone at turner!

One thing to note: The lower post won't go much further down into the seat tube than shown in this picture. At first I was worried I wouldnt' be able to get the saddle low enough to be in the right position when fully raised, but it worked out. However if your saddle is on the low side, you might have trouble with the Thomson + Czar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts