Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So......My LBS said that he has to measure me first and check my seatpost height before ordering one for me. He recommended the KS Lev 125mm ($336) and I asked about the KS E-Ten 100mm ($155).

I'm 5'5 and am running a 15.5 frame on my Trek Fuel Ex7. The 25mm difference isn't going to matter right?? The longer travel lengths are more important for TALLER riders so that the seat retracts lower, thus giving more clearance when shifting your weight to the rear - correct?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
My wife is 5'6" and rides a 17"(M) Stumpy FSR. She had to go from 125 to 100mm to get the post short enough for her at full extension - she couldn't get the post down into the seat tube far enough to get comfortable at full extension. I never gave much thought to it, I always got a 125mm. My new bike came with a 100mm and it has got to go - it does not drop enough. I am 6' and ride 19(L) that 25mm makes a big difference to me. So, there's 2 reasons to measure first.

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
I'm 5'5 and am running a 15.5 frame on my Trek Fuel Ex7. The 25mm difference isn't going to matter right?? The longer travel lengths are more important for TALLER riders so that the seat retracts lower, thus giving more clearance when shifting your weight to the rear - correct?

Thoughts?
Granted, I'm 6'3", but... I'd rather have as much drop as I can. I've run both 125mm droppers and one 150mm dropper... Could tell the difference for me. In my mind, if you're going to carry the extra weight, you might as well get the seat as far out of the way as possible. My current bike could take a 150, but I can't run the 150 Reverb on my bike (no Stealth option).

Almost seems like the shop might be trying to upgrade you. Now, if you can only afford the eTen, then get that. I'm of the option that a dropper is better than none.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
518 Posts
So......My LBS said that he has to measure me first and check my seatpost height before ordering one for me. He recommended the KS Lev 125mm ($336) and I asked about the KS E-Ten 100mm ($155).

Thoughts?
You are correct, 25mm doesn't matter a pinch of pooh. What does matter is how much seatpost you need at full extension for efficiency - you can't just buy the longest for this reason and also that many seat tubes are interrupted these days, especially on 29 ers.

People who have lots of seatpost sticking out usually need 400mm total lengths, and that tends to be taller riders which is why you'll notice the KS posts as they get longer actually have more drop - your height usually can have a 350mm seatpost easy enough with 100mm drop, and that's what I would get. If I were you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.