Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The chain dropped between the smallest cassette cog and the frame. Wondering if anyone knows how bad this is or what I should do. This is on a 2019 Specialized Chisel. I'm worried about how close I came to cutting all the way through the metal. I'm not sure how thick the metal is in this area. There are no visible cracks. Just the gouge and some scratched paint.

edit: it's now October, 2021 and the frame has 5900 miles on it. it's been fine. thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Just ride it. Things happen it isn't hurting anything. Should see the chain stay near the chainring on my fat bike. Looked like that for years and beat the crap out of it without an issue. Mine has actual gouges and so on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,821 Posts
The chain dropped between the smallest cassette cog and the frame. Wondering if anyone knows how bad this is or what I should do. This is on a 2019 Specialized Chisel. I'm worried about how close I came to cutting all the way through the metal. I'm not sure how thick the metal is in this area. There are no visible cracks. Just the gouge and some scratched paint.
Those could potentially be solid. Or at the very least be hollow with very thick walls. As tigris99 noted, this is cosmetic completely and they could pretty much get worn down substantially before you have any issues. If the aesthetics bother you you could get some black finger nail polish or model paint from a hobby shop and paint over them that spot.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,055 Posts
Battle wounds. They’re like a badge of honor. Don’t worry, once the bike is past it’s 6 month mark it rarely happens again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone. I've ridden two frames to death (snapped chainstays) and felt like I got off easy each time. I'd been doing a big jump line on one frame the day before it broke on what amounted to a low speed curb climb. Since then I've severed an ACL, broken an arm, and separated my left shoulder and am erring on the side of caution and wanted to see what others thought. Stuff like this makes me think I should try a cheaper sport. Hard to believe the chain can fit in between the smallest cog and chainstay without any additional protection. Would've cost maybe 10-20 grams to make that drop out area beefier? I encourage the engineer that designed this to go F themselves.

Be happy it isn't carbon.
Seriously. I came close to getting the carbon Epic HT and was relieved I didn't after this. Would have saved 500 grams and spent and extra $1500. I could replace this frame outright and still have spent less.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,055 Posts
dropped chain gouged frame.

The title of this thread sounds like a rap lyric.

Carry on:

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
Dude, my frame looks 10 times worse than that, and even has a small hairline crack in it, and I'm still riding it pretty hard, don't worry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.