Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hitting Drops

KB1LQD said:
what is the proper way to drop-off? im talking on about 2+ footers, pull up hard and wheeling off? Bunny hop? just do it and pray to god?????
THE TYPE OF BIKE AND FORK TRAVEL MATTERS ,AND
A LOT DEPENDS ON YOUR APPROACH SPEED.
I RECENTLY GOT INTO DOING DROPS, AND HAVE NOTICED ON THE SLOWER ONES YOU ARE PULLING UP JUST AS YOUR TIRE GETS TO THE EDGE.
I'VE HEARD YOU WOULD LAND THE REAR TIRE FIRST.
I LIKE TO GET BOTH TIRES TO LAND SAME TIME.
THAT TAKES A LOT OF THE STING OUT.
ALL I CAN SAY FOR SURE IS PRACTICE, 2 FOOT DROPS AREN'T BAD ITS WHEN YOU GO 3 FOOT PLUS THAT THINGS GET A LITTLE HAIRY, BUT ISN'T THAT THE POINT OF IT ALL!!!

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
for small drops, under 5 footers, i would suggest just rolling in a and pullin a wheelie right at the lip. if youre going big with trannys and what not, i personallly like to j-hop to add to the style.

·
born to chill
986 Posts
KB1LQD said:
what is the proper way to drop-off? im talking on about 2+ footers, pull up hard and wheeling off? Bunny hop? just do it and pray to god?????
If you have good speed, just give your bars a quick tug up and you'll shoot off of it fine.

You could bunnyhop off of it fine as well, just be prepared as you might end up higher up than you wanted to be. :)

If you have slow to no speed, wheelie drop it by doing a hard pedal stroke and pull up a little just as your tire approaches the edge. Check the video Prexus referred to :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.