Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is further to a previous post of mine...

I have a 2006 Kona Dawg Primo with the stock Fox Float 32R (130mm travel). I like the fork for trails, but when I take the bike to do some AM / light FR stuff, the twisties are really noticeable. The front end is all over the place on rough stuff and washboard. I"m not doing huge drops with it or anything...but the Fox works fine for smaller jumps and drops.

I"ve been looking at replacement forks with a 20mm axle, and I see Jenson has a 2006 Marz Drop Off1 for $239. My son has a 2004 Z1 FR on his bike, and really likes it. It seem s like the Drop Off 1 has pretty similar spec's to the Z1?

I know I'm going to suffer a weight penalty...but it's worth it. Anyone have opinions on the Drop Off 1? I know the III and IV haven't gotten good reviews...but they seem to be a different animal.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
The whole Dropoff line is pretty cheap/ crappy IMO. The damping isn't very good, they're really heavy, etc. Your Float is a much, much better fork, albeit one that isn't' ideal for the type of riding you want to do. I'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
+1 with HaB, but, it's possible your Float R isn't quite set up right. If the pressure is too high, and/or rebound is too slow, it could feel crappy like that.

Are you getting close to full travel over the bumps?
Is the rebound set fast enough it doesn't pack down over chatter bumps?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wrong settings on Fox

fsrxc said:
+1 with HaB, but, it's possible your Float R isn't quite set up right. If the pressure is too high, and/or rebound is too slow, it could feel crappy like that.

Are you getting close to full travel over the bumps?
Is the rebound set fast enough it doesn't pack down over chatter bumps?
That is a possibility...When I got home I double checked the sag on the fork, and there was a bit too much air / not enough sag. I had gone by Fox's recommendations for my weight as far as air pressure, now it is set to the proper sag (about 33mm). I checked the rebound too, and adjusted it a bit. I'll hopefully get to try it this weekend!

I could see by the dust line on the stantion that I was getting pretty close to full travel. Maybe it was the rebound setting more than the travel. The fork feels great on smooth flow-ie stuff, and the roller jumps...it's just the chatter..knocks my fillings loose!

Thanks for the advise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.