Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be a disaster to place a drop of lube on the pistons of my Codes in order to re-seat them when changing pads?
I'm just thinking it could'nt hurt since the pads won't be in until AFTER I clean up any residue.
It should make pushing them in a little easier...no?

I would use a drop of lube on each one, clean it all up, place the old pads back in, then use the little red "wedge" tool they come with to rock the pads back and forth...

Anyone think this would be beneficial?? Or is it a known fact that it won't help at all?

Please don't tell me to bleed the line...it's fine.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
freeriderB said:
It should make pushing them in a little easier...no?
I never heard of this-the fluid inside the slave cylinder should be all the lube your brakes ever need. Have you ever seated bike pistons before? As long as they are in good shape, I don't think it really gets any easier.

Anyway, I wouldn't.

·
Baba Booey!
257 Posts
Hey man, yeah, I think the recommended lube is brake fluid. At least that is what I use on my j5's. You can put a couple drops on the pistons, then push them back in to the caliper. I think the only thing you have to worry about is getting it on the pad and rotor, but I'm sure you know that... this works good, though.. it really freed up my rear piston which has always been a little sticky....

When you goin' back to diablo? looks like a bunch of guys from crankfire are headed done on sat 6/28...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brake fluid...

monkeyfist23 said:
Hey man, yeah, I think the recommended lube is brake fluid. At least that is what I use on my j5's. You can put a couple drops on the pistons, then push them back in to the caliper. I think the only thing you have to worry about is getting it on the pad and rotor, but I'm sure you know that... this works good, though.. it really freed up my rear piston which has always been a little sticky....

When you goin' back to diablo? looks like a bunch of guys from crankfire are headed done on sat 6/28...
of course...I will use a drop of brake fluid! I didn't think lube would hurt since it would be a trace amount at most.
It's really dusty inside the caliper and the pistons do not seat all the way in when I rock the pads back and forth.
I'll try a drop of brake fluid to see if they loosen up a bit.

I was at Diablo this past Saturday with a friend.
Conditions were AWESOME...but my rear derailer and hanger bit it somehow (luckily on my last run).
No crashes...so it's a mystery as to what happened.
New derailer on order today...so Saturday may be possible...

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
I'd say it was a good idea. Pushing dirty pistons back into the caliper is going to push dust/grime to the piston seals, so giving pistons a wipe with a cotton bud dipped in DOT fluid or a silicone lube should be considered a must when fitting new pads. Just make sure that you clean any excess fluid away once the pistons are reset into the caliper.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dot

SteveUK said:
I'd say it was a good idea. Pushing dirty pistons back into the caliper is going to push dust/grime to the piston seals, so giving pistons a wipe with a cotton bud dipped in DOT fluid or a silicone lube should be considered a must when fitting new pads. Just make sure that you clean any excess fluid away once the pistons are reset into the caliper.
cool..I'll try it.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Pop the pads out, pump the lever so the pistons are basically touching, drop fluid onto them, push them back in, let them dry out overnight or something, splash some water through there the next day, put the pads back in. Smooth like-new action again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.