Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a drop measured from the top of the takeoff to directly below the take off or from top of takeoff to beginning of the landing? Ive heard different variations from several people so i would like to take a poll.

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hardtails Are Better said:
It's the vertical distance from the takeoff to the TOP of the landing. Not diagonal distance, not to where your wheel touches down, just the vertical drop.
Yeah thats what i ment by top of tranny. The total vert between the top of the tranny to the takeoff.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
I think thats the most retarded way to measure the drop. to the top of the tranny. like the 12 footer we have here. is just a rock that you launch off of, you end up about 12-15 feet down, but it's a total 12- drop. but a 6" drop to the tranny? this isnt a 6" drop.

this is the way I measure

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
that is not a drop you idiot, that is a jump off the top of a hill.....
it is a drop, just not with a built up transition. I mean if I dug out all that dirt in the middle, it would be a "drop" but at the same time ...you're launching the exact same thing. its like a stepdown, drop, hill ....thing. its too steep to ride down, my pic wasnt really to scale...at all. I can re-do it if you want.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'll just take a moment out of my busy day to point out exactly how stupid it is to worry about some made up protocol regarding measuring drops. If you are so desperate for bragging rights but want to be honest about it. Just eyeball the drop, give it a good guess, and tell people what you think it is. If they try to hate, tell them you don't care if you truely know the exact height of the drop and that you are just relating an estimation and the numerical value is not a big deal to you (this should be true if you ever grew a brain). If you know how tall you are then you can get a good enough idea of the actual height to properly describe it. Measurement nitpicking is for idiots who think they will gain respect from people via their achievement claims and the clowns who think that it is somehow crucial to the balance of forces in the universe to hate on every pimply teenager who thinks his 2 meter drop is 4 meters. My drop (dick) is bigger than your drop (dick). It should go without saying that the height of a drop is not the only factor in what makes it difficult or hairy. Which still is taking away from the real point. You should only worry about the relative size of a drop, relative to you (as goes for everything in this sport). Is that drop bigger than what I'm comfortable with? Is it cleary farther than my current skill level seems to permit? Is it big compared to this other drop I do? If the only reason you hit drops is to validate yourself in the eyes of your friends/girls/strangers then maybe you don't enjoy them enough. Please folks, just ride, have fun. And if you must give a numerical figure for any measurement of distance for drops/jumps/gaps make an honest guess and reduce it my 30%. At least that way you avoid the hating, and when someone sees you clean it in real life, they'll be pleasantly surprised. Plus your modest estimate will help keep others humble when they feel like big boys for hitting the same drops.

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
check it, no matter how far down the landing to go, the drop is measured from the height of the take-off to the top of the landing slope. however, you could say that you were hitting a 12 foot drop but landing at the bottom of the landing, 16 or so vertical feet from the take-off. this doesn't make the drop any bigger, but is does tell how big you were going. the same theory is applied to doubles. it is measured lets say 10 feet from lip to landing, but if you land 12 feet from the lip the jump isn't any bigger, you just went further. this pic should help...

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
on the reals, not trying to diss you todd (or anyone else), but 99.9% of the people i know, myself included, wouldn't even call that a drop of any kind...

that is a launchable roll-in in my book.....
in your book only then. everyone I know says thats a drop. just because it doesnt have a 15 foot gap in between it doesn't mean that it does not qualify as a gap. a lot of whistlers drops are like this, because they cant have people f**king them selfs up. 99.9% of the people I know. call that a drop. its not rollable, nor "launchable" theres no lip to it. straight drop off.

·
Pro Crastinator
12,018 Posts
todd_freeride said:
....its not rollable, nor "launchable" ...
hold up, now let me get this straight. it's impossible to roll down that if you needed to, but it's also impossible to get airborn off it??? how the hell do you get past that point in the trail when you come to it?

·
Pro Crastinator
12,018 Posts
scabrider said:
check it, no matter how far down the landing to go, the drop is measured from the height of the take-off to the top of the landing slope...........................same theory is applied to doubles. it is measured lets say 10 feet from lip to landing, but if you land 12 feet from the lip the jump isn't any bigger, you just went further........
preach it brother scabby....

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
hold up, now let me get this straight. it's impossible to roll down that if you needed to, but it's also impossible to get airborn off it??? how the hell do you get past that point in the trail when you come to it?
I was thinking that you were implying it had a lip to it, and that you "launch" off of it rather than "ride" off of it.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
todd_freeride said:
so I guess this counts as a 1' drop as well. damn, looks like biggest I've gone is a 2 foot drop. sorry guys. but I suck.
This is a curb size drop you did a large jump off. The size of your jump doesn't change the size of the drop.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Theres a difference here. I believe its going to be this.

"Dude, I just went off a drop, that was 8 feet" or maybe he landed to the transition "dude, I just did a 10 foot drop" theres a difference between the two. theres the drop itself. then theres the distance that you travel.

either way, I'm done arguing with you WCH. with everyone that I talk to, when they see your posts they just call you a moron. they may do the same for me, but I just dont care. go ride your bike.

I'm out to go hit some 1 foot drops. and work on this new 7 foot drop {WCH measurement} that I found. and I'll go and do a 10 foot drop from it. peace all. obviously its more important for some people to call people out on their computer. last time this subject got brought up {about a year ago} there was like 250 replys arguing the same thing as we're all arguing about now. I'm off to hit a 10 footer.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.