Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
rubber side down
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a drop bar road bike with Ultegra STI Shifters and want to convert to a flat bar. Will the standard triple shifter/brake combos work with some adjustments to the front derailleur or do i need a double front specific shifter? I was gonna try to find some xtr dual controls, but not sure about compatibility with my current setup. My current setup is a 2x10.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
536 Posts
daleydouble said:
Hey guys,

I have a drop bar road bike with Ultegra STI Shifters and want to convert to a flat bar. Will the standard triple shifter/brake combos work with some adjustments to the front derailleur or do i need a double front specific shifter? I was gonna try to find some xtr dual controls, but not sure about compatibility with my current setup. My current setup is a 2x10.

Thanks for your help.
XTR is 9-speed, so you can't use the rear pod, and road and MTB front derailleurs have different cable pulls so the front pod isn't compatible either (also the brake levers are incompatible being either V or Hydro levers).

Shimano makes 10-speed pods specifically for flat bar road setups, although they're nowhere to be found on their site, or you can use Dura-Ace barcons and a set of Paul's Thumbie adaptors You'll also need a set of brake levers intended for Canti brakes as V-brake levers aren't compatible with caliper brakes.

Frankly, it's probably more trouble than its worth, especially since a properly fitted drop bar setup is much better ergonomically than flat bars (get the tops up to saddle height and you'll have fixed the major fit issue with most road bikes, a too agressive setup)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
daleydouble said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help.
Here's the solution to your problem. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=11143&category=774 They are designed specifically for flat bars and are road compatable. The front shifter is usuable for double or tripple ring front set ups, it actaully has three index points, but is simply limited by the front derailleur. So no a double or tripple specific shifter is not required. However there is NO mountain shifter system that is currently compatable with a 10 speed road drive train, so the XTR dualies are out as noted above. The super narrow chain used on 10 spd road drive trains and the indexing required to make everything work is just not avialable in a mountain shift system...yet. From there the only thing you have to come up with is a set of brake levers that are compatable with your road calipers, and those are available as well, http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=15692&category=902 . It's not a cheap project, but it's a heck of allot cheaper than going from a flat bar to a drop bar and STI set up!

As for dual control shifter brake lever combos, unfortunately shimano doesn't have such a thing for flat bar road set ups. The only thing they do have that's even close is the ST-R222system, and even that isn't dual control but the standard intergrated trigger shifter and brake lever combo for 8 speed only. Campagnolo makes a similar intergrated trigger/lever system for 10 speed, but then you're getting into reworking the whole drive train as campy shifters are only compatable with campy deraillerus!

Anyway, it can be done, and it can be done realatively cost effectively, and with good preformance results.

Good Dirt

·
rubber side down
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much Thanks

Thanks alot for the info guys. I've got the shifters and front derailleur on order. Got some spare levers I can knock the dust off of.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey Squash,

Squash said:
Here's the solution to your problem. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=11143&category=774 They are designed specifically for flat bars and are road compatable. The front shifter is usuable for double or tripple ring front set ups, it actaully has three index points, but is simply limited by the front derailleur. So no a double or tripple specific shifter is not required. However there is NO mountain shifter system that is currently compatable with a 10 speed road drive train, so the XTR dualies are out as noted above. The super narrow chain used on 10 spd road drive trains and the indexing required to make everything work is just not avialable in a mountain shift system...yet. From there the only thing you have to come up with is a set of brake levers that are compatable with your road calipers, and those are available as well, http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=15692&category=902 . It's not a cheap project, but it's a heck of allot cheaper than going from a flat bar to a drop bar and STI set up!

As for dual control shifter brake lever combos, unfortunately shimano doesn't have such a thing for flat bar road set ups. The only thing they do have that's even close is the ST-R222system, and even that isn't dual control but the standard intergrated trigger shifter and brake lever combo for 8 speed only. Campagnolo makes a similar intergrated trigger/lever system for 10 speed, but then you're getting into reworking the whole drive train as campy shifters are only compatable with campy deraillerus!

Anyway, it can be done, and it can be done realatively cost effectively, and with good preformance results.

Good Dirt
Do you know if MTB linear pull brakes & levers can be mounted to a road frame with 700C wheels? If the radial distance from the brake arm pivot post to the braking surface on the wheel is equivalent, it could work (???). :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.