Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
discombobulated_conundrum said:
I am in the middle of converting my GT peace into a drop bar single speeder, then I stumbled upon a Tiagra STI shifter.

So the question is, can I make it work with my Deore or XT rear mech?
Any Shimano MTB rear derailleur EXCEPT Dyna-Sys derailleurs will work with Shimano road shifters.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
I am in the middle of converting my GT peace into a drop bar single speeder, then I stumbled upon a Tiagra STI shifter.

So the question is, can I make it work with my Deore or XT rear mech?
Also, single speeds work better without rear mechs and shifters ;)

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Any Shimano MTB rear derailleur EXCEPT Dyna-Sys derailleurs will work with Shimano road shifters.
... and Dura Ace 8 speed. Ask me now I know. :) I went through several used derailleurs before I figured that out.

Yeah, all the mountain and road bike stuff pulls the same amount of cable... as long as you match the number of cogs in back with the shifter.

So CustomFab... so the Dynasys 10 speed is different than the other stuff? It pulls a different ratio? Odd, but okay. Good to know.

·
Plays with tools
4,650 Posts
pimpbot said:

Yeah, all the mountain and road bike stuff pulls the same amount of cable... as long as you match the number of cogs in back with the shifter.

So CustomFab... so the Dynasys 10 speed is different than the other stuff? It pulls a different ratio? Odd, but okay. Good to know.
that is correct dyna-sys shifters and RD are specific to that product group and are not compatible with previous 9spd MTB or 10spd road parts. So not all road and mountain parts work on the same cable pull.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Conversely.....SRAM road shifters work with mtn derailleur and the other way around. All of their stuff is interchangable as long as you match the correct number of gears. Not quite as confusing with SRAM equipment.

Oh by the way, Shimano STIs will work with SRAM R. Derailleurs as long as its Single Speed *sarcasm*

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
No first hand experience, but I've heard this wasn't true prior to 10 speed.

dubdryver said:
Conversely.....SRAM road shifters work with mtn derailleur and the other way around. All of their stuff is interchangable as long as you match the correct number of gears. Not quite as confusing with SRAM equipment.

Oh by the way, Shimano STIs will work with SRAM R. Derailleurs as long as its Single Speed *sarcasm*

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
A Travel Agent will do the trick. If push comes to shove I find a BB7/BB5 road caliper.
I have never been able to get Travel Agents to work well or hold their adjustment for more than a ride or two. The BB7 Road calipers work great with road levers.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
WayDownSouth said:
Will a road 10 speed STI shifter (say Ultegra 6700) work with a 9 speed XT Shadow rear mech and a 10 speed 11-36 XT cassette?

Thanks
Yes. Shimano road 10-sp (except for the latest Dura-Ace) is compatible with Shimano mtb 9-sp derailleurs and any 10-speed Shimano/SRAM cassette.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.