Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing my first 100 mi this weekend and am preparing a couple drop bags as I wont have support available.I am thinking a couple tubes,"real food",extra jersey.Could some of you vetran types give some insight as to what else may be important?Thanks

·
Awesome! Totally awesome!
117 Posts
Depending on yer level of suffer puppyness, chamois cream and/or a change of shorts/jersey/glove/helmets. I did a road century +22 last year and it helped.

·
Registered
528 Posts
At the CCP100 some things I saw teammates put in their drop boxes were:

Tubes
Tire
Floor pump
Extra tools
Extra complete seat bag contents
Sunscreen
Bug repellant (there were biting flies)
Lube
Butt butter/chamois cream/butt balm
Energy bars/gels
Prefilled bottles w/hydration/nutrition drink
Chain links
Real tools (not the multitool deals, but real toolbox tools)
Extra gloves (both long and short finger)
Extra jersey/shorts
Windbreaker
Arms/legs

Stuff like that.

I didn't see all that in a single box though. That's just the general contents I saw among the piles of boxes and bags of teammates at the aid stations. I personally had a tool box with the standard spare stuff (tubes, tire, lube, tools, etc) at the 1st aid station at the bottom where my wife was helping out teammates and myself. And my wife had her own mtb handy in case we needed to cannibilize parts. I never needed anything other than the lube. But I suppose it doesn't hurt to be careful.

·
Registered
294 Posts
RockyMtnHigh said:
I am doing my first 100 mi this weekend and am preparing a couple drop bags as I wont have support available.I am thinking a couple tubes,"real food",extra jersey.Could some of you vetran types give some insight as to what else may be important?Thanks
be cautious with your "Real food" intake, as too much will not digest rapidly and will sap your strength. I'm prep'ing for a 24 hour race and most advice was to keep hydration around 18-24 oz/hour, take electrolyte suppliments periodically, and keep caloric intake at a few hundred calories an hour. YOu cannot get all those calories from your energy drink I assume, so plan on eating gels or bars at the rate of about 2 per hour.

these are all rough numbers, tailor them to suit your needs. best of luck!

·
climb
2,293 Posts
bubbrubb said:
be cautious with your "Real food" intake, as too much will not digest rapidly and will sap your strength. I'm prep'ing for a 24 hour race and most advice was to keep hydration around 18-24 oz/hour, take electrolyte suppliments periodically, and keep caloric intake at a few hundred calories an hour. YOu cannot get all those calories from your energy drink I assume, so plan on eating gels or bars at the rate of about 2 per hour.

these are all rough numbers, tailor them to suit your needs. best of luck!
Being your first 100 mtb race, I would not be too "cautious" about real food intake. You'll be probably be on the bike between 11-13 hours. This is a lot of calories being used. If you are racing (chance for podium placing) I would limit real food. If are trying to complete the race and want to feel good--eat some real food. Real food will help you physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I did the Ultra100 with a "10 minute" lunch break (muddy pass station). It was the best thing I could of done. I fueled up on a hummus and turkey sandwich on wheat along with a juice drink. I then got a 35 minute descent to digest. I also had another 1/2 sandwich before the final descent and climb.

Another thing I did was to store my food and drink in a plastic-cooler bag with blue ice packs and ice in baggies. It was fantastic to get a fresh bottle of drink and put fresh ice in the bottles and head to the next station.

If you are using a hydration pack, you might consider having 2 and switching at some point during the race. I had two different styles and it was great to have a different pressure point for the next 4 hours. I also dropped the pack completely for part of the course, before I picked up the next pack.

Good luck and have fun...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jl said:
Being your first 100 mtb race, I would not be too "cautious" about real food intake. You'll be probably be on the bike between 11-13 hours. This is a lot of calories being used. If you are racing (chance for podium placing) I would limit real food. If are trying to complete the race and want to feel good--eat some real food. Real food will help you physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I did the Ultra100 with a "10 minute" lunch break (muddy pass station). It was the best thing I could of done. I fueled up on a hummus and turkey sandwich on wheat along with a juice drink. I then got a 35 minute descent to digest. I also had another 1/2 sandwich before the final descent and climb.

Another thing I did was to store my food and drink in a plastic-cooler bag with blue ice packs and ice in baggies. It was fantastic to get a fresh bottle of drink and put fresh ice in the bottles and head to the next station.

If you are using a hydration pack, you might consider having 2 and switching at some point during the race. I had two different styles and it was great to have a different pressure point for the next 4 hours. I also dropped the pack completely for part of the course, before I picked up the next pack.

Good luck and have fun...
Exactly.Im doing the Ultra and Muddy Pass is where I plan to drop off.PB&J's feel like a miracle food on my longer rides.thanks for the Blue Ice idea.
Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
100 mile race

good luck to everyone doing the Ultra 100. I completed the Leadville 100 last weekend. I agree with the person who said eat as much as you can, unless you are trying to win. I ate around 3-4 PB & J's, 2 bananas, 1 Double Chocolate Harvest Bar, and a couple of orange slices. I did choke down one carb boom around mile 75, but it took about 15 minutes. I would say eat early and often, after mile 80 I couldn't eat anything. I was focused on finishing at that point, and couldn't force down any food. Make sure to stay hydrated as well. I went through about 250 ounces of water, and a couple bottles of power aide. I was even out of water for too long so 250 ounces really isn't enough at least for me. In the past I watered down my energy drinks, but this year I didn't and that was a mistake. Too sweet for my tastes on that long of a ride. I also used Elete Water in my camelbak to make sure I had enough electrolyetes. My friend uses e-caps from hammer gel, and those seem to work real well for him. I was fairly happy with my time of 10:36. Everyone is different. I recommend do whatever you have done during training. One other word of encouragement is don't give up. It's gonna hurt no matter what. Good luck guys.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
RockyMtnHigh said:
Exactly.Im doing the Ultra and Muddy Pass is where I plan to drop off.PB&J's feel like a miracle food on my longer rides.thanks for the Blue Ice idea.
Mike
Mike,

How about an update on the race? How did it go?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts