Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you experience this? I do plenty of hard workouts, including 'fight club' with the local fast road guys, races too where I have to take an ibuprofen to sleep because of achy legs, those give me standard fatigue. But my hill repeat workout gives me a unique fatigue symptom: heavy eyelids. Not like I'm going to fall asleep, not any other unusual symptoms other than standard, the eyelids just feel droopy and heavy. My hill repeats are on a very steep trail section, about as steep as is possible to ride, only about 12 seconds of climb, and as a loop about 12-15 seconds back down. I typically do 6-12 loops (often 2x6 or 2x8), there's not enough descent to fully recover and after about 4 or 5 climbs I'm breathing about as hard as I ever do. I feel like this has been a valuable workout for the past 6 years or so, but I've never understood the heavy eyelids thing. Have any of you experienced similar?

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Is it only immediately after these interval sessions? From a quick Google search drooping eyelids (all the time off the bike) can be down to a variety of issues but there doesn’t seem to be much about exercise and this.

I’ve never experienced anything like that with heavy eyelids, particularly not after just a 6 minute total duration intense interval session.

At that short a duration it’s unlikely to be bonking. Maybe it’s something like you’re so laser focused that you’re forgetting to blink during the session or your face is tensing into a continuous snarl from the effort, and then as you relax your face afterwards it’s wanting to rest the facial muscles and eyes causing the heavy eyelids?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like I'm the only one!, I knew I was special!
Certainly not Bonking: I've experienced real bonk a couple of times, and this isn't it. The unique thing about this workout seems to be possibly some 'oxygen deprivation' (?) from continuing to do the climbs as my breathing gets 'behind'. None of my friends will do this workout, they hate it, but my kid did used to do it with me (before he switched to running...). The 'heavy eyes' have been consistent and unique to this particular workout for several years. I should add (for those of you who don't know any details about me), I'm 54, one of the better local cat1 mtb guys, typically top 5 or 10 in masters cat1/2 cyclocross, so I consider myself to have had very good fitness for the past 7 or 8 years. I wasn't doing this hill workout until I catted back up to Cat1 about 5 years ago, in fact I wasn't even riding this hill until I went back to cat1 because it was too hard (I was a decent C1 30 years ago, before having kids and getting fat etc.). I will consider the Dr visit as well, thank you all.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just started riding heavily again and also found that I had diabetes. I have a similar feeling when I am dehydrated and need a carb boost. I have to take something on the bike to get me “over” that feeling. However, I have a lot of extremely tired spells after hard rides.

Definitely see your doctor.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Some non medical things you could try would be to do some droopy eyelid exercises. That's the sort of thing you could do routinely during the day to work on the muscle strength around your eyes: :)

also

Although not strictly related to droopy eyelids you've specifically mentioned breathing being a limiting issue during these intervals so doing some respiratory muscle training could be worth adding into your routine too. You could get something like a Powerlung breath exerciser, airofit active breath exerciser or one of the other myriad (cheaper) options on Amazon and ebay. The benefit of doing that breath strength training regularly is that used long term, particularly as a warm up tool pre-ride, is that it takes the edge off that "tasting blood" / "lungs holding you back" sensation when riding at high intensity.

I've had one of these Powerlung breath exercisers for a long time now. It needs a metal hose clip on the mouth piece to stop it leaking under load but apart from that they last ages. Mine is maybe 10 years old and still good.

Example of much cheaper breath trainer on Amazon $14.99 USD

https://www.amazon.com/Adurance-Bre...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7QMT6XS51E0R8FGHSP8D

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I find this amazing...
I haven’t either.

I do get restless legs after a ton of high power low cadence work. I’ll do aleave and some ice, and if that doesn’t work I am banished to the couch by my wife!

JimpacNW- I would also talk with a doctor if it is a condition that bothers you.

When I go super deep in marathon races, I have a small ulcer on my eye that will flare up after but it doesn’t bother me because I’ve already seen an optometrist and know why it’s there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've read that taking Ibuprofen or other NSAIDs blunts the training adaptations after hard training. The pain you feel alerts the body to repair and build back stronger.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I've read that taking Ibuprofen or other NSAIDs blunts the training adaptations after hard training. The pain you feel alerts the body to repair and build back stronger.
I follow this approach, as well as same with Anti-histamines which are suppressing the body’s reaction to loading.

This after living on ibuprofen in my HIghschool years as someone who probably threw in game 200 pitches per week.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
I follow this approach, as well as same with Anti-histamines which are suppressing the body’s reaction to loading.

This after living on ibuprofen in my HIghschool years as someone who probably threw in game 200 pitches per week.

As someone who has bad allergies and needs to be on antihistamines pretty regularly, can you cite the source on this? I’m interested in reading more.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
As someone who has bad allergies and needs to be on antihistamines pretty regularly, can you cite the source on this? I’m interested in reading more.

Cliff notes:

Seasonal allergies are pretty bad here, but I have exercises induced rhinitis so it doesn’t bother me while riding normally. That, lots of hot Salsa.

FWIW, my wife takes Zyrtec and flonaise generics daily in the mornings and works out at night and she is beast at 4+w/kg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.