Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have captured a few videos of me riding trails with my GoPro Hero 7, and I plan to do more. I just purchased a DJI Mavic Air 2, to take advantage of its combination of follow tracking and video capabilities.

I have yet to take the drone out on any rides as I am still learning how to fly the drone and use the tracking and photo/video functions.

I have been thinking about how to carry my drone controller while I’m riding on the trail, I have read on a few drone forums that once the controller is in a backpack the drone has lost the follow/tracking signal.

I am considering mounting my drone controller onto my GoPro chesty, carrying extra drone batteries in my hip pack or storing them in the Swat Box of my Stumpjumper.

I would like to hear some feedback or experiences from those who may also be using drones to capture their ride experiences.

Regards.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Isn't the Mavic follow feature visual? I don't have one, but I'm curious. I know the drone from former MIT guys was doing advanced visual mapping, think self driving car tech, to do some impressive follow and obstacle avoidance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't the Mavic follow feature visual? I don't have one, but I'm curious. I know the drone from former MIT guys was doing advanced visual mapping, think self driving car tech, to do some impressive follow and obstacle avoidance.
As I understand it, it is “visual” in respect to activate the feature the user must draw a square around the subject to be followed. This discussion I have read in forums is that users are putting their controllers with mobile phone attached I their backpacks and signal is being lost and the drone will stop tracking at that point.

·
I get knocked down...
36 Posts
I have the MavicPro 2 Zoom, and its follow feature is atrocious. I picked up the Skydio instead, it did pretty darn well. Got "stuck" 2 on the 5mi downhill, but just had to push it up, then it reacquired:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts