Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a samsung moment and basicly am happy with it. it works decent enough, although it is a bit clunky. My main gripe is the power battery. a few weeks ago i bought it in as it just died on the spot. now it woun't charge up.

also it's a bit more than what the sales rep said, and some how the roaming charges kick in. i can be in a building in a town at home and it starts roaming.

i been using the gps for a few months and my other devices have been just collecting dust. my carrier is sprint.

for just phone i have a att go phone, its nice and light and very cheap, for phone only its great

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i undersstand the battery runs out quick, but in this case the battery won't charge at all. i think something is up with the phone since. if its off and i plug it into pc w/usb it turns on. the phone is in for repairs, but this is the 2nd incident in as many months (last time the battery just died period)

i enjoy the large keypad and sort of large screen when i'm lounging around, when i'm active (running or biking) I wish the device was not so clunky), also no flash is a pain since so much content is flash only. read the blurb apple put out saying why they don't have flash on the iPhone. i think adobe should come clean and give us mobile flash players, they made there money with fonts and postscript in the 80s, apple and adobe have had a symbiotic relationship over the years, why can't they make nice (google/droid too):thumbsup:

·
Registered
356 Posts
well yeah some thing must be wrong because my phone has never just not charged.
flash is comeing out soon 2.2 is already in the making. but im sorry to tell you that there will be no 2.2 for the moment or hero.
but if you root your phone then you can get flash.
i dont know what roms there is for the moment tho.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
water damage

they claim water damage wrecked the phone. the phone came into contact w/some water when i carried it a big some water from a water bottle came in contact w/the phone. imho it was not a significant amount.

i purchased a battery charger for the phone and i think that might be a work around. if i want to keep sprint i can order them a new phone since there due, then commader it but the phone must be on the eligible # for 30 days to get any kind of a rebate

in the mean time its worth the ten bux for the battery chargery and i got a new battery from the sprint store free of charge ( so i have 2 batteries) the batteries themselve run around 10 bux online:thumbsup:

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
No problems

jkmacman said:
they claim water damage wrecked the phone. the phone came into contact w/some water when i carried it a big some water from a water bottle came in contact w/the phone.
Not sure what this has to do with biking but... I've had a Moment for many months and it is great. I have the cheapest Sprint plan and there are no roaming charges. A phone with a physical keyboard will, by definition, be a bit "clunky." Based on your incomprehensible writing, and water leak story, I suspect some of these problems may be "operator error", and not the phone's fault. And the Moment makes phone calls so why would you have another phone and carrier "for just phone."

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the extra phone is a back-up, and for running. i did a race (running) w/ droid and it popped out of my pocket, the little phone is more run friendly. i'd like to get another go-phone 'back-up', if i can't get it with a gps it would be great:thumbsup:

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
I have a Moto Droid, not a Samsung, but there should be a setting in wireless & network settings>>mobile networks to shut off data roaming, and if you go to system select, you can set it for home only. This will cure your roaming issues. For the charging, I would take it in and make them hook it up to another charger to verify it's not the charger itself. That's been a problem with Moto Droids for a few people. There should be a tiny red/white sticker under the battery cover. If it's a solid color, they can claim water damage. If not, they are just trying to avoid warranty.

And I am running Flash on my Moto Droid. It's a little clunky, but it works. My version of Froyo is not an official release, so it's not 100% anyways. I have a feeling it will be pretty smooth once it reaches final build. If you can stomach the more expensive VZW, the Moto Droid is a STEAL right now. Motorola is letting them go for $20 on their site with a contract. And the network is way better. (Never dropped a call) Amazon is offering something similar.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. i just seleted home only!

the battery is discolored. i bought a battery charger for 10 bux and it seems to be working. i have 3 phones w/sprint but only the droid is still under contract. my wife and dad have old phones and there happy with them so for now i just leave it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm getting of my android samsung moment. it's a combo of me wanting to cut back on some costs (steep internet fee) and the buggy samsung droid)

for off road i'm still using my delorne pn-40 (busted another ram mount last week in the ice and snow). for road and run i bought a replacement wrist band for my garmin 405

i had the samsung moment for just under a year (11 mos.), i enjoyed having it but i can live w/o it. any one else abandoning droiddom?

btw: i put all my gpx tracks on connect, and maybe buy another garmin. if i can get a cheap tri watch (swim friendly) or the edge 500. i'm a little peeved motion based is totally gone, as I like to go there to quickly get rides from a few years ago. connect i have to drill down month by month through the calender

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.