Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on trails.com and perusing this forum - here's the deal

Im from Denver CO - and will be driving thru NM to Havasu - will be bringing my new to me Niner ht and possibly my yeti 575 -altho if I can do 1 bike - i'd love to get the time in on the niner. Also a small older coleman popup.

Will be coming down I-25 to SFe - and than ABQ will hit 40 to go west.

Simply looking for a good recommendation for a couple of rides - I need to be in Havasu late thursd night to help my buddy compete in the 300 mile PWC race.

First - whats open to ride?
Second - what should I be sure to ride that is open?

Hoping to get in a good couple rides Tues/Wed and a shorter ride thursd before I hit the road to Hav.

Also - any tips on where to camp and ride?? worse case I can pull into an RV park ...

Many thanks in advance!!

Dan

·
Registered
351 Posts
White Mesa or Foothills are probably your best bets...

Both are ridable on a hard tail. You could catch White Mesa on your way down. Just exit at Bernalillo and take 550 northwest toward Cuba. It's about 20 miles from I-25 to the White Mesa turnoff. I rode there on Thursday, and it was spectacular!

Foothills are also in good shape. I rode South Foothills today starting from the top of Menaul. To get there you would exit I-25 at Tramway. Turn left and follow Tramway all the way down to Menaul. Go left on Menaul and park at the top. You then ride east and south out of the parking lot and have lots of trail options. Trails are dry and in good condition as of 3 PM this afternoon.

I can't help you with a place to camp, but those 2 trail options will get you riding.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Blowin' in the Wind

kamper11 said:
Also - any tips on where to camp and ride?? worse case I can pull into an RV park ...
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest White Mesa (link - info) and the BLM area as a place to camp. Make sure you're across the cattle grate and within the BLM area if you're looking for a place to camp.

There's also a RV park in Bernalillo that I've known people to stay at.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The campground in Bern. is a bit strange, we stay there a lot (right next to the soccer complex), urban camping at its finest, it is noisey and really bright but it is convenient and right next to the Rio Grande. Try to find the spots nearest the river. Good luck, sounds like a fun road trip.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Guys - thanks for the tips! I rode White Mesa today and it was awesome! IMO a top notch singletrack playground - reminded me of riding Fruita on the dragons back - and Moab on the other side... way cool!!!

Im in Gallup tonight - hoping the snow doesnt fall overnight - as I plan to ride here tomorrow before packing up.

Again - thanks!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Excellent!

Glad to hear you enjoyed WM and found your way okay. I think it's a great area, but of course I'm partial as a local.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.