Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly new Sram NX 1x 11 drivetrain. All was well until I bent the hanger. I bent it back okay but then it wouldn't shift into first gear. I messed with the cable tension and limit and tightened the B screw a bunch before it finally went into first.

Now there's a horrible racket in gears 1-3 and it turns roughly. I figured I'd rather live without first gear so I loosened the B screw but that didn't correct it at all. Gah!

What can I do?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Did you bend back hanger with proper tool?

Without that, the alignment will be messed up n the shifts will be a hot mess at the ends of the cassette.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have a fairly new Sram NX 1x 11 drivetrain. All was well until I bent the hanger. I bent it back okay but then it wouldn't shift into first gear. I messed with the cable tension and limit and tightened the B screw a bunch before it finally went into first.

Now there's a horrible racket in gears 1-3 and it turns roughly. I figured I'd rather live without first gear so I loosened the B screw but that didn't correct it at all. Gah!

What can I do?
Hi T, it sounds to me like the hanger alignment is still out, and you've mis-adjusted other things to compensate.

I'd use a proper tool to reset/recheck alignment, then go through the set-up process again. e.g. b-screw set while suspension is saggeg, lower limit screw, etc.

Look for my post in these thread (as well as the post I link to), as well as for others' good advice :https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-...g-when-backpedaling-smaller-cogs-1108547.html

Search for the SRAM installation instructions, and follow them to the letter.

Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
329 Posts
You may find it easier to just order a new derailleur hanger for the frame. Usually under $20, especially if you've already bent the RD hanger. Couple always get the derailleur hanger alignment tool. Can be had for $35+ depending on which brand you go with. I have one because I ride in South Florida, which is mostly rooty with lots of things to grab your RD.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
achiever
1,066 Posts
There is no garauntee that a new hanger is going to be straight, you ought to check the alignment of a new when when installing. Get yourself a derailleur hanger alignment tool & learn how to use it, your problems will be gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.