Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
gainlessly unemployed
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy shifters and derailleurs for a non-SS build. Anyone have any pointers?
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Shimano all the way. I have been using XTR for the past 7 years and nothing compares. I recently bought a bike spec'd w/ sram X9 and I personally would compare it to LX components. The only sram I recommend is their chains.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i just switched from Shimano XT to Sram X9 and i think the X9 is much better. I have an older (ca. 1998) XTR rear D, though, and that thing is still in great shape. I'm not a fan of the dual-control Shimano levers.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Chocolate or vanilla?

Which is better? I like chocolate. I prefer SRAM. Shimano makes nice components too. It's really a toss up.

Bob

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Sram Imo

I switched from XT/XTR to Sram X9 and like the Sram more - primarily because it is much much less finicky -

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
927 Posts
I use to get Shimano all the time ( XTR ), change in 2004 did not like the new shifter system, so i got a XO derailleur and X9 shifter i don't think i'll come back to XTR!!!!!!!
SRAM is better @ least for 04,05,06.............07, well we will see!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have sram x7 on one of my bikes and xt on the other 2. I really dont notice a preformance difference between the 2 although I do like sram's thumb shifters better.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had XT dual shifters a year ago. I had a small crash. I was unable to shift for the rest of the ride. I bought XO twist shifters an deraileur. It has been working great for almost a year. The other problem I had with Shimano was every 3 or 4 rides I would have to readjust the rear deraileur. No such problems with Sram.

·
gainlessly unemployed
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
um, I was wondering if you guys could point out any stellar deals on either system. I'm impartial to running either one, I just want cheapness.

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
927 Posts
gregdr said:
I had XT dual shifters a year ago. I had a small crash. I was unable to shift for the rest of the ride. I bought XO twist shifters an deraileur. It has been working great for almost a year. The other problem I had with Shimano was every 3 or 4 rides I would have to readjust the rear deraileur. No such problems with Sram.
I second that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Use one of each.

I run a x-9 rear and used to run sram x-gen front.

They both worked well esp the rear, very little finicking on the first few rides and then none to speak of after that shifts good every time, I've heard that even more expensive shimano lines still require a little dicking around peroidically.

But, when I switched to a new frame that didn't fit my x-gen I had to get a shimano xt. To my dismay as a shimano avoider, the xt worked much better especially when downshifting under tension.

so I say x9 rear and xt front.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts