Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm a newbie to this sport and forum. I got my first mountain bike about three weeks ago, a Raleigh Talus 29, and have been riding as much as possible (at this point I'm going everyday) - I love it, totally addicted right now.

However, today I noticed some shifting issues - hesitation when shifting up (at one point the chain got stuck halfway between gears for a bit), and a noisy drivetrain in certain gears. I'm thinking that I just need to lube the chain, is that the case or is it an alignment issue? As such, I'm in need of some recommendations for what maintenance products to get and where I should get them.

Thanks guys!

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
You can go to parktool.com there are a lot of info on installation and adjustments, youtube is another good source. Sounded like the cable stretches a bit and just need some fine tune. If you bought the bike new from the shop you should get at least one tune up free so use it. If you do have that tune up option, take the opportunity to learn from the web and try it yourself, you got nothing to loose if you mess up the shop would take care of it.

You'd need some basic tool, if you buy the multi-tool you can use that on the trail as well. I like topeak rachet.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Yeah, I remember the first time I did it. I was almost there but not quite so I kept playing with it til I brought it to the shop, luckily they allowed me to be in the back I checked out how the mechanic did it, it looked too easy. Asked a couple questions here and there. A few fiddling later I know how to do it. One component down a few more to go.:)

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Same as the other guys, just turn ur barrel adjuster on the shifter, based on what u said counter clockwise rotation a bit (like as if a screw, "loosen" the barrel adjuster and as it backs out it pulls the cable tighter). Won't take much, just do it a little at a time till gears shift smoothly again and when looking at where chain leave cassette to down to rd there should bit a small gap between chain itself and next bigger gear.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,470 Posts
Sounds like the RD needs to be adjusted, normal after some miles and cable stretch.
Exactly.

There's a short break in period when cables stretch a little and housings compress a little. This ends up creating some 'slack' in your shifter cable, and it now doesn't pull the derailleur far enough to line up nicely with the gear of your choice (smallest cog being the exception, since that one is aligned by the limiter screw on your derailleur).

As said, a couple little twists on the rear derailleur or shifter's barrel adjuster should take care of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just wanted to add that little twists usually means one quarter turn on the barrel adjuster at the time, checking progress before adding a quarter turn more. What I struggled most with when I started adjusting derailleurs 20 years ago was turning too much at the time and thus overshooting the mark. It took a while for me to realize, so thought I'd mention that :)

·
Registered
12,470 Posts
Good point. Also, it's SO much easier with the bike in a stand, or even if you can hook the front of the saddle or top tube over something to get the back wheel off the ground so you can spin the pedals by hand while making your adjustments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.