Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm builing one up. Looking to find out what type and size/pull der. and shifters ya'll using. I've always had shimano on my xc bikes but have broken a couple rear der. Want to go Sram med cage xo or 9, any suggestions?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've been on SRAM for a few years now and I don't see the day when I'll go back to Shimano. I do my own maintenance, SRAM is waaaaay nicer to maintain.

X0 gripshift, X0 long cage rear, PG-990 cassette and PG-991 hollowpoint chain.

I'm looking forward for the new SRAM front that should fit the Nomad next year, I'll finally have a full SRAM drivetrain.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am a SRAM convert.....

My old trailbike has a full XT kit on it, and I had to constantly fiddle with and clean the drivetrain to get it to work right. But once it got a little dirty, I could say goodby to clean, snappy shifts.
I also got really annoyed by the chainslap that Shimano derailleurs are prone to.

So my Nomad got a full SRAM drivetrain. I went with SRAM's 8spd cassette, and dual Truvativ rings up front.

That also let me run a med-cage XO derailleur, but I'm limited to X-7 triggers because of my choice to go 8spd. This is not a bad thing, because in conjunction with the XO rear d., the shifts are still leaps ahead of Shimano in terms of snappiness and positive shifting.

Even with only 16 speeds, I've not been left wishing for the lost gearing.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
8spd?...how antique.

Bombardier said:
I am a SRAM convert.....

My old trailbike has a full XT kit on it, and I had to constantly fiddle with and clean the drivetrain to get it to work right. But once it got a little dirty, I could say goodby to clean, snappy shifts.
I also got really annoyed by the chainslap that Shimano derailleurs are prone to.

So my Nomad got a full SRAM drivetrain. I went with SRAM's 8spd cassette, and dual Truvativ rings up front.

That also let me run a med-cage XO derailleur, but I'm limited to X-7 triggers because of my choice to go 8spd. This is not a bad thing, because in conjunction with the XO rear d., the shifts are still leaps ahead of Shimano in terms of snappiness and positive shifting.

Even with only 16 speeds, I've not been left wishing for the lost gearing.
Hey Bomb, I too am still running 8spd...by choice.:D With SRAM 1:1 pull ratio and 8spd, there is no finicky nature to my drivetrain. I've stayed with the old steel XTR 12-32 cassette, and surprisingly they're still available. The 11-32 SRAM just seemed to have a gap I didn't like around 4th cog. I still use 9.0 Gripshift paired to X7 derailleurs on my bikes. I've been kinda rough on rear derailleurs...both brands...so X7 has been as far as I care to invest. Working at a shop, I've ridden lots of bikes with X9 rear ders, but I can't for the life of me feel any quality difference. I think SRAM has been an absolute nightmare for Shimano...though I still use an XT front derailleur.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have a Deore front D, 34.9 top pull, bottom swing I think, the rest is sram, X-9 rear, X0 twist shifters, cassette and chain. If you are doing the build yourself be careful with the chain lenght. I sized it like I normally do, through the rear derailleur and on both big rings but then it was 2 full links too short when using suspension travel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I need a shimano front der, will the XO shifters work with this. I don't see why it won't. Can I run a Med XO rear der. with an 11-34 xtr cassette and xtr chainrings/cranks? any help much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yes, any shifters are fine with any front de. Yes, I'm running a med cage rear de with a 11-34 and no problems but if you ride in the small/small the chain will hang loose.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Good advice, but...

artnshel said:
I have a Deore front D, 34.9 top pull, bottom swing I think, the rest is sram, X-9 rear, X0 twist shifters, cassette and chain. If you are doing the build yourself be careful with the chain lenght. I sized it like I normally do, through the rear derailleur and on both big rings but then it was 2 full links too short when using suspension travel.
It only applies on models that have sufficient "chain growth" for this to be a problem when the suspension compresses. Many designs have this problem, so it is great advice/warning to be aware of it. Riders who have 2-ring setups or are careful to never go to the big/big range, will also avoid this problem regardless of the bike design. This issue is often overlooked by home mechanics...go info.

·
Registered
606 Posts
TNC said:
The 11-32 SRAM just seemed to have a gap I didn't like around 4th cog.
I noticed that gap too... But I only run into it on gently gradating inclines. It's not always that bothersome, but when it does get on my nerves, I just pop one gear higher and hug it out. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.