Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished replacing my rear derailluer, and continue to have a problem that I noticed the end of last season. If i pedal backwards, the chain runs very smooth. When I pedal normally, I feel a slight vibration and there is a quiet clipping/jumpy noise coming from the rear. Sorry if I'm a little vague, I'm not quite sure how to describe it. Any suggestions on what I should do? Could my chain be stretched out and need replacement?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
moab361 said:
I just finished replacing my rear derailluer, and continue to have a problem that I noticed the end of last season. If i pedal backwards, the chain runs very smooth. When I pedal normally, I feel a slight vibration and there is a quiet clipping/jumpy noise coming from the rear. Sorry if I'm a little vague, I'm not quite sure how to describe it. Any suggestions on what I should do? Could my chain be stretched out and need replacement?
My guess would be cable tension. Since you replaced the derailleur, it's likely that the cable has stretched (if it was new) or that it wasn't dialed in to begin with. Don't do major adjustments; start with quarter-turns of the barrel-adjuster and see if it improves. Put the bike in a workstand, and shift the gears one at a time. See if the chain goes onto each cog easily or if it "drags" on some. If that's the case, take some tension out (turn the barrel adjuster counterclockwise). If it skips up to the next bigger cog or rubs against it, take some tension out. You can't really screw anything up by making these adjustments, so it's worth a shot and costs nothing.

And yes, your chain could very well be stretched out, but I doubt that this has anything to do with your problem. I always look at the last thing I did as the culprit for whatever new noise my bike is making. In your case, I'd say it's in the derailleur, not the chain.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Definitly check the adjustments as stated above. If you have a stand, put the bike in it and stand directly behind it. If the pulley is not directly under the gear, then you need to make an adjustment.

Also, when you installed the new deraileur make sure you didnt bend the hanger a little bit. They are very soft and can bend when loosening or tightning a stubborn bolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.