Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
mtbr noob
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick question about my gearing, not sure what to do. I find in the lower gears pedalling feels rough as such, its not smooth and is mildly noisy. I am not sure if this is considered chain slip, and I should get a new chain, or if its a problem with the hub. I included a video shot in 1/2 speed which shows some of the odd behaviour.

Chain - YouTube

(I would rather not go to LBS because they always leave me in an awkward 'you need to buy this' situation, which I really don't know how to walk out of considering I always like to get a second oppinion. Also, they tend to only sell the really expensive branded parts)

Any opinions would be great.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I can't hear any sound, but at 8 seconds I noticed the chain not seated properly on the tooth. If it's happening in all the gears, then it's probably the chain. I don't think a hub could cause that kind of people. If it's only the one gear check the teeth to make sure they look good. It could just be a bad link if it's only the same one getting stuck like that. You should watch it carefully and mark it.. But then again, chains are cheap.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
mtbr noob
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will get a new chain then, it happens on all gears but is more apparent on lower gears. That was also freshy cleaned and lubed just before the video. It was making a clicking noise that wasnt usual, I would have sound on but there was too much background noise so I just cut it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
mtbr noob
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its done at least 1000kms. Thought it would last a bit longer then that but oh well. Measuring showed a little bit of stretch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
973 Posts
as mentioned previously ^^^^ it sure appears to be a worn chain issue...the rollers are contacting the tooth tip rather than the tooth falling nicely between the rollers and the cassette appears to be fine.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts
nowadays remember,
chain size and width needs to be matched to the cogset

7,8,9,10 speed cogs all have a chain that will or will not fit

and singlespeeds have the fattest chains of all, and won't work on multi-cogsets

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.