Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then in slow speed technical hammer time situations I get some kind of chain/drivetrain slippage on my 5spot. It only seems to happen if I briefly stop pedaling and then hammer. If I keep some pedal movement, it doesn't happen. I knew I needed new chainrings (worn teeth, bent teeth, missing teeth) and figured it was time for a new chain and cassette. I changed out all three. But then yesterday I had it happen again while climbing a double log stair section. The chain does not come off. I went back and rode it again with no slippage. I half suspect my King rear hub (based on the feel and sound), although that doesn't seem possible. Any ideas? In all other situations, the drivetrain is flawless -- just sometimes (not every time) something slips.

XT cassette (new)
XT cranks w/ new blackburn rings
X9 rear der
PC-991 chain (new)
King rear hub

·
Weapon of Choice
801 Posts
cowdog said:
Every now and then in slow speed technical hammer time situations I get some kind of chain/drivetrain slippage on my 5spot. It only seems to happen if I briefly stop pedaling and then hammer. If I keep some pedal movement, it doesn't happen. I knew I needed new chainrings (worn teeth, bent teeth, missing teeth) and figured it was time for a new chain and cassette. I changed out all three. But then yesterday I had it happen again while climbing a double log stair section. The chain does not come off. I went back and rode it again with no slippage. I half suspect my King rear hub (based on the feel and sound), although that doesn't seem possible. Any ideas? In all other situations, the drivetrain is flawless -- just sometimes (not every time) something slips.

XT cassette (new)
X9 rear der
PC-991 chain (new)
King rear hub
Same thing happened to me and I thought for sure it was my chainring; some of the teeth were worn down by half. So I changed replaced it and sure enough it still skips at times. It doesn't happen much but on hard pedaling uphill etc. My next bet is derailer hanger slightly bent.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
cowdog said:
-- just sometimes (not every time) something slips.

XT cassette (new)
X9 rear der
PC-991 chain (new)
King rear hub
Been saying it for years, don't mix but no one listens :confused:

Why don't you use an Shimano chain!

There are slight tolerence differences, I know some will say otherwise, if it was another hub I'd say yer pawls maybe on the way out, but other than incorrect chain length Im sure it is this MnM you guys persist with!

Apologies CD it just rarks me, Im not just saying this cause Im a Sram man Ive said for years now, choose one or the other, I don't understand at all why you mix n match, I proved this theory many times and solved others similar issues with one simple fix, all or nothing!

Makes no sense to me..

good luck CD..

·
illiterate or intoxicated
421 Posts
The only "slippage" I have experienced was under maximum power on steep grades. The culprit was my Hope XC rear hub. After disassembling the hub, finding metal shavings, and talking to the guys at Hope, it was determined that the pawls in the freewheel were slipping. Hope exchanged the XC hub for a Pro II. (Great customer service) No slippage since.

Please let us know what you discover.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Never had a problem mixing and matching, though now I'm on KMC z9000 chains. I don't think I'll ever go back to SRAM. Best shifting, feeling, and I never break them.
Yeah but which way were you swinging:D

WH good points I concur except except CDs running a King [ring drive no pawls], not to say something may not be up with the hub which I think is what youre saying! Ive never had slippage with a King before though!
Anythings possible but I suspect if CD changes to a Shimano chain gets the length right he should be good to go!

How are ya jockey wheels CD shouldn't be the iss since its under presure at slow speeds it should be one of the other issues:thumbsup:

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
my bet is a rare king hub issue or a worn r der. i know its been said before but hey, ive got nuthin better to do.

and ta, i had more issues runnin a all shimano drivetrain than i ever did with my sachs and sram chains. same with sram bits and a shimano chain. if ya ask me, they just dont work as well but i realize some dig em and thats cool.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
cactuscorn said:
and ta, i had more issues runnin a all shimano drivetrain than i ever did with my sachs and sram chains. same with sram bits and a shimano chain. if ya ask me, they just dont work as well but i realize some dig em and thats cool.
Dude I hear ya hats why I run all sram, but hes already bought a new cassette and Shimano parts except the chain and there are slight tolerence differences, Shimano does this deliberately, it may not be his problem but it is there! Like you I had many frustrations with this exact issue on mine and others bikes, never since we all converted, you can go ther other way as sram is more tolerant but not Sram with Shimano omo its what I found!

You may be right, but its the least expensive option to try:thumbsup:

What year X9 is it the pre 07s could develop allot of play in the JC, if thats what yer thinking otherwise I can't see how it could do that in those situations, it dosen't sound like its unders shifts, its when CD stops pedaling then re-engages, if pawl I would have said hub as in my first post?

·
Registered
50 Posts
how long has it been since you did the "ring drive" service on you King hub ???

My newish 5 Spot was doing the same thing, used the rear wheel off my old bike.

Did the maintenance as described on the King web site---------my problem solved !!!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
trailadvent said:
Dude I hear ya hats why I run all sram, but hes already bought a new cassette and Shimano parts except the chain and there are slight tolerence differences, Shimano does this deliberately, it may not be his problem but it is there! Like you I had many frustrations with this exact issue on mine and others bikes, never since we all converted, you can go ther other way as sram is more tolerant but not Sram with Shimano omo its what I found!

You may be right, but its the least expensive option to try:thumbsup:

What year X9 is it the pre 07s could develop allot of play in the JC, if thats what yer thinking otherwise I can't see how it could do that in those situations, it dosen't sound like its unders shifts, its when CD stops pedaling then re-engages, if pawl I would have said hub as in my first post?
Been mixing and matching since my 2004 x9 that was just thrown out in the garbage. Jockeys worn to nubs. Now I have the new x9 on it, no problems at all. I've never seen the Shimano-Sram incompatibility you speak of.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree with trailadvent?

trailadvent said:
Been saying it for years . . . . .Why don't you use an Shimano chain!
This problem may not be a chain issue, but shimano cassettes work better with shimano chains. The Blackspire chain rings are not cheap enough to make me want to switch from the big 's' chain rings at XT prices. At XTR prices I'd change your crank to an XT.

Cheers,

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Never had a problem mixing and matching, though now I'm on KMC z9000 chains. I don't think I'll ever go back to SRAM. Best shifting, feeling, and I never break them.
I'm with Jerk on this on, KMC chain, XT cassette, Middleburn rings, XO rear derailleur no problems.

As far as your problem, I would put on a new cable, re-tune the derailleur and if it continues it's probably the hanger.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I had the same issue and it was the King hub. The ring drive had gotten a bit clogged with old grease and I guess the teeth just weren't getting seated. It also happened infrequently and under power. I pulled things apart, cleaned up and relubed the ring drive and no more problems.

·
Bodhisattva
10,866 Posts
trailadvent said:
Been saying it for years, don't mix but no one listens :confused:
I disagree.

I've only used Shimano cassettes for 15 years and have been using SRAM chains exclusively since before 2000. Ditto many of the guys I ride with.

Cowdog, I'd do a basic King ring drive service, make sure chainline is good, check cable length, look for tight links, etc....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.