Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
I just have a couple tangential comments (since others have covered the basics on compatibility.)

First I'll mention my perspective comes from long term wrenching on:
2 bikes with SRAM GX (12 spd)
2 bikes / 3 wheelsets with Shimano SLX & XT (11 spd)
1 bike / 2 wheelsets with Shimano XT (12 spd)

The SRAM stuff is on my GF's bikes but I'm the one who works on them.
I like SRAM's shifter ergonomics and her bikes shift fine.
The problem is riding in the winter here in the muddy PNW. Those SRAM cassettes are pinned together with a zillion rivets and they clog up horrifically with fir needles and oily forest detritus. Such a PITA. I have to go after them with a dental pic to get them clean enough to function and all I'm trying to do is get them to shift properly -- not be fastidious about making them look good. Honestly, if you ride in muddy conditions plus lots of fir needles it can be a real problem. I don't know why Shimano's cassettes don't pick up / retain the forest debris like SRAM's cassettes do, but whatever -- Shimano doesn't do so nearly as bad.

If you're in the desert or anywhere else without epic mud & small needles, probably not a problem.

About non-Shimano chains on Shimano drivetrains. I haven't bought a Shimano chain in decades. Way back when Shimano went to their unique break-off replacement pin in lieu of the far superior quick-link, I boycotted Shimano chains. I've used KMC & SRAM chains religiously since then (what, 15-20 years?) and have had zero shifting problems using non-Shimano chains.

Take these comments for what they're worth,
=sParty

Sparty covered the non-Shimano chain compatibility thing.

I'll cover the non-Shimano chain ring with Shimano chains. Non-issue. My Absolute Black chain ring holds the chain perfectly.

I'll also further add to what Sparty had to say about SRAM cassettes and clogging. He's correct and that also goes for the XO1 cassettes which aren't pinned together but the connection points from cog to cog are directly behind the peaks of the teeth rather than in the valleys and sandy/granite particles in wet conditions crunch and grind away on your chit. Not a great design IMO.......

Reactions: Sparticus
I'll cover the non-Shimano chain ring with Shimano chains. Non-issue. My Absolute Black chain ring holds the chain perfectly.
(y)
I should have mentioned I'm using RaceFace Turbine cranks with steel 28t n/w rings. Sorry I left that part out. Can't speak to Shimano chainrings.
=sParty

Uh, yeah. Way too much. No way I am spending that on a wear item just to save some weight. Plenty of alternatives from $100-$150 that I would be perfectly happy with. I might stretch to $165 for an XT if I was going with MS. Part of my issue with GX is the price of the cassette, thus I was interested in aftermarket (e.g., Sunrace) alternatives.
You might consider the Microshift Advent X. It’s a 10 speed, wide range (11-48t) system on an HG freehub. The higher priced alloy cassette is about $60, and lighter than SRAM GX eagle. They also offer a steel version that I think is about $40.

In fact, the whole system costs less than a GX cassette. The shifter, cassette, and derailleur cost ~$160-170 altogether.

I’m sure it doesn’t shift quite as well as some of the top tier stuff. But for the price of the consumable bits and the light weight due to less cogs, it seems hard to beat on the price point at least.

Microspline. XD eagle prices are stratospheric. 12s Shimano replacement wear parts like cassettes are less expensive than SRAM. No personal experience but I hear that HG+ shifts better than Eagle. A GX eagle replacement cassette is $220. An XT 12s Cassette is $160. A complete XT group is about as much as a complete GX group when you add it all up but the XT is more on par with X01 quality and performance. Subjectively I think XT looks nice.

Disclaimer: my bike came factory equipped with Eagle X01 minus the cassette and chain which are GX and I do want an XT 12s bike.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
You might consider the Microshift Advent X. It’s a 10 speed, wide range (11-48t) system on an HG freehub. The higher priced alloy cassette is about $60, and lighter than SRAM GX eagle. They also offer a steel version that I think is about $40.

In fact, the whole system costs less than a GX cassette. The shifter, cassette, and derailleur cost ~$160-170 altogether.

I’m sure it doesn’t shift quite as well as some of the top tier stuff. But for the price of the consumable bits and the light weight due to less cogs, it seems hard to beat on the price point at least.
I did look at Microshift. I would have given it serious consideration, but the largest cog they have is 48, and I really want a 51 or 52.

I got two E-13 XD cassettes and they work very well, they shift very well. There actually are a few aftermarket non-sram options now. They are kind of goofy to install and set up, but I've been pleasantly surprised with how well they run. I have several X01 XDs and that's my pick for longevity. I've done the calcs and they are cheaper than Shimano SLX...by cost/year and how long I get out of each. The XD cassettes last a LONG time...but not all Sram 11 and 12 cassettes are actually X-dome, some of them just fit on the driver with pinned-together rings, the higher end ones machined from the solid block are the ones you want. No contest IME.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the replies, all.

In the decision of XD or MS, it looks like I will go with option 3: HG freehub and 11 speed. I've already got a shifter and a few unused 11sp chains, and a chainring I know works well with the 11 speed chains. I found an XT 12sp RD that I believe will work and a Sunrace 11-51 cassette.

SLX or XT cassettes and RDs are pretty much unobtanium right now. I found the 12sp XT RD at Merlin Bikes in the UK.

I changed from SRAM 12 speed to Shimano mainly for cassette and derailleur cost reasons. All Shimano's are 51s and all derailleurs can handle them. What I didn't expect was the better shifting I got with Shimano. I can't help with aftermarket components.

Edit: And don't forget second gear in SRAM is a 42. Shimano is a 45.

I would only go 11 speed if I had 2x.

my $.02

Both shift exceptionally well these days. % diff is much smaller than say 15 years ago.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
My experience is that pretty everything from Deore level up over the past 20 years has shifted exceptionally well. It is all splitting hairs in my book. I've got a set of 20 year-old esp 5.0 shifters/rd and LX shifters/derailleurs still in regular use on commuters. I've had mid 2000's XT stuff. I've had late 2000s X9 stuff. I've got new NX and XT 8000 stuff. I've demoed or borrowed planty of higher end stuff. They all work pretty much the same for me.... perfectly. You twist a knob or push a lever and the gear changes.

OK, FDs always kind of sucked, but rear shifting was pretty well sorted out at the turn of the century, IMO.

I guess electronic is a different ball of wax, but I'm not going there.

Yea, anymore it's about feel. So whatever works out for you ergonomically is what you should run. I tend to prefer X01 and up shifters.. that's really the thing I care about. The touch point.

SLX or XT cassettes and RDs are pretty much unobtanium right now. I found the 12sp XT RD at Merlin Bikes in the UK.
We have/had bikes with NX/GX eagle, GX/XO 11 speed and 12 speed, Shimano XT 11 speed, Shimano XT/SLX12 speed and mix of 11 speed sram/shimano as well... To me, they all shift pretty well. I prefere the feel and ergonomics of sram shifter but I find it easier to setup shimano stuff and don't mind the double upshift on my xt shifter...

Have you tried aliexpress for shimano parts? I ordered a SLX/XT drivetrain and SLX 4 piston brakes for my hardtail last winter. I just received 2 brakeset , took only 10 days and no duty (Deore 4 piston and XT 4 pistons). Prices are insane as well. I buy lots of stuff at different LBS for maintening our bikes, but with bike part shortage aliexpress as been a good solution for me...

My Absolute Black chain ring holds the chain perfectly.
I just want to point out that I had an Absolute Black chainring that did NOT work with my Shimano 12spd chain.

(y)
I should have mentioned I'm using RaceFace Turbine cranks with steel 28t n/w rings. Sorry I left that part out. Can't speak to Shimano chainrings.
=sParty
IIRC, RaceFace offers its NW rings in a version that's compatible with Shimano 12spd now. Took them long enough, though.

Thanks for the replies, all.

In the decision of XD or MS, it looks like I will go with option 3: HG freehub and 11 speed. I've already got a shifter and a few unused 11sp chains, and a chainring I know works well with the 11 speed chains. I found an XT 12sp RD that I believe will work and a Sunrace 11-51 cassette.

Yeah, replacement parts are HARD to get. 12spd chains are hard to get at times, too. I really ought to hunt down spare cassettes for my bike and my wife's bike, too, so we have them when we need them.

I changed from SRAM 12 speed to Shimano mainly for cassette and derailleur cost reasons. All Shimano's are 51s and all derailleurs can handle them. What I didn't expect was the better shifting I got with Shimano. I can't help with aftermarket components.

Edit: And don't forget second gear in SRAM is a 42. Shimano is a 45.

I would only go 11 speed if I had 2x.

my $.02
Shimano makes 10-45 cassettes at all of the 12spd levels. And there's a med cage XTR derailleur that will ONLY work with the 10-45 cassettes in a 1x config.

I just want to point out that I had an Absolute Black chainring that did NOT work with my Shimano 12spd chain.
You need their specialy designed chainring for HG Shimano, regular ones won't work. I have one on my Nimble 9 and it's great.

Reactions: DMFT
Discussion starter · #39 ·
Have you tried aliexpress for shimano parts? I ordered a SLX/XT drivetrain and SLX 4 piston brakes for my hardtail last winter. I just received 2 brakeset , took only 10 days and no duty (Deore 4 piston and XT 4 pistons). Prices are insane as well. I buy lots of stuff at different LBS for maintening our bikes, but with bike part shortage aliexpress as been a good solution for me...
I've never done the Aliexpress thing. It kinda weirds me out. Maybe I'll dip my feet in the water with something small.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.