Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 8 speed Shimano cassette on an Sram X.4 derailer with X.4 Shifter pods and an Alivio front derailer.

I want to know if I can replace the rear cassette, derailer, and shifter pod to a 10 speed setup, without needing to replace the wheel or the frame. I am just not sure if widths of things have changed over all or if the cassette cogs have just gotten thinner to compensate for the increased number of cogs.

I hope this makes sense.

I am trying to understand the compatibility of upgradable parts as a means to slowly assemble a new bike over the course of a couple years piece by piece as I break stuff or it wears out.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yes, you will be fine to do that. As you have said, or guessed :p, the only things you will need to replace will be the cassette, RD and rear shifter.

The difference between 8/9/10 speed is that the gap between the cogs has diminished and the chain has gotten narrower.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I currently have an 8 speed Shimano cassette on an Sram X.4 derailer with X.4 Shifter pods and an Alivio front derailer.

I want to know if I can replace the rear cassette, derailer, and shifter pod to a 10 speed setup, without needing to replace the wheel or the frame. I am just not sure if widths of things have changed over all or if the cassette cogs have just gotten thinner to compensate for the increased number of cogs.

I hope this makes sense.

I am trying to understand the compatibility of upgradable parts as a means to slowly assemble a new bike over the course of a couple years piece by piece as I break stuff or it wears out.

Thanks in advance.
Don't forget the the chain:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.