Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm returning to biking after a 10-yr absence. I just got an old Stumpy M2 off ebay to get me going again, but I want to replace the front & rear chainrings, which are all fairly worn. My problem is, now there are so many different brands out there for chains, cranks, casettes, etc - and I have NO clue how they match. Shimano says their HG chains are for xx parts and the mega-9 series goes together, then there's Race Face (which seems to be highly reviewed). But I am struggling to understand how to know what goes with what. There are too many parts out there (for someone looking for a price/quality combo) to have to ask about EACH model; Shimano's got a compatibility chart (which is confusing enough). But how do I know - for instance - if Race Face cranks will work with, say, a Shimano XT M750 rear casette? Do they use the same chain? It didn't seem this complicated 10 or 15 years ago.... I'd appreciate any help on how to figure it out - especially other brands' compatibility w/ Shimano (because apparently XT cranks suck...). I'm just trying to upgrade my 8-speed casette w/ something newer (but there dont' seem to be any new IG-friendly cassettes) - and avoid buying an entire new crankset if possible (only rings). Plus, now everything is 9 - which would mean new derailleurs, shifter, $$$$$$.... So - if anyone can help point me toward places to understand compatibility (especially inter-brand), I'd appreciate it. Thanks so much in advance!

~Rob

·
Registered
373 Posts
You can mix and match any cassete and crankset combo, the chain you et should be the at least the same number of gears as youre cassete. I am running a sram 8 speed cassete with a nine speed chain and a coda crankset, and it works fine.
I don't reccomend going to nine speed, it is more of a pain to adjust, you need a whole new rear derailer set up and I dont think you really need that many gears for MTBing.
For the chainrings, I would just take it down to your LBS and have them look at it. I dont think it matters what brand of chainring you get, but I'm not positive.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
one note make sure you change the chain while your at it.

with regards to compatiblity...rings, cassette, and chain can be interchanged between the major manufacturers, shimano, sram...etc..

as to rings....depending on the cranks you may or may not have to replace them...most likely not (see www.parktool.com)

as to cassette depends on your freewheel style...check with you local bike shop (LBS) to see which style you need if you cassette threads on to your wheel you have more limited options (i'm not sure as to exactly what there is out there yet like this). again see the park tool website for more info on the types of cassettes

and as EliM mentioned make sure that your chain is either 8 speed or 9 speed (narrower)

DMR

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
EliM said:
You can mix and match any cassete and crankset combo, the chain you et should be the at least the same number of gears as youre cassete. I am running a sram 8 speed cassete with a nine speed chain and a coda crankset, and it works fine.
I don't reccomend going to nine speed, it is more of a pain to adjust, you need a whole new rear derailer set up and I dont think you really need that many gears for MTBing.
For the chainrings, I would just take it down to your LBS and have them look at it. I dont think it matters what brand of chainring you get, but I'm not positive.
i would not recommend running a 9speed cahin on an 8 speed drivetrain.

My bike is seutp with 9speed and i've ran 8speed befoore 9speed was available i haven't had any issues with 9 speed. 9speed shifters in my experience are better (smoother, and shift better)

If you're buying new parts you might as well go with 9 speed. The newer cranks are 9 speed (they'll usually work fine with 8speed if you must). SHimano makes very nice chainrings that are ramped and pinned. This means it will shift between the chainrings in the front easier since there are ramps to assist the chain to move up in gears.

Do you have 8 or 9 speed? Are you trying to replace the entire crank arm? or just the chainrings? 9speed chainrings and cassette's will be cheaper and easier to find since they're more abundant.

You do not need a new rear derailleur to run 9speed, you might need 9speed shifters if you don't have them already. Depending if you wanted new shifters you might have to get a new rear derailleur (if you were chaning from sram to shimano or vice versa)

I would also suggest matching your chain with your cassette. If you get a shimano cassette i would try to get a shimano chain and if you get a sram cassette to get a sram chain. In my expereince they work better that way and make less noise.

The 9speed shimano chains should all work fine with each other.
If you're getting a 9seed shimano chain you can get:
HG73 = lower end shimano 9speed chain
HG93 = Ultegra / XT
7701 = XTR / Dura-ace
(theres not much difference if any between the hg93/7701, i haven't had much expereince with the hg73)

Sram 9 speed chain options:
check out: http://www.sram.com/en/sram/mountain/chains/index.php

The sram chains are easier to put on/off than the shimano ones since they use power links(you can take the chain apart with just your hands).

You basically need to decide:
9speed / 8speed
Shimano or Sram

I'd suggest posting this in the drivetrain forum and not the beginner forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.