Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I installed a Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner, hoping that this would cure the problems I've been having with destroying rear derailleurs. The bike was feeling great this morning. No more annoying chain slap. Shifting was crisp, ect. I hit the jump pictured below, and upon impact, my rear der. exploded again. The hanger is in perfect shape, but the XT der. took the chain, and 3 or 4 spokes with it. I am pissed. Today I will try out a Sram rear der, and shifter, and see if I have better luck. If not, then it's back to Horst Link rear end for me.:madman:

And on a side note, Dilf's DHX air imploded on him. It's almost as if the rebound circuit is blown after only 4 rides. Damn thing rides like a pogo stick. Back to Fox I guess.

Attachments

·
Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Winston said:
Ouch, not a good 24 hours for Team Sanchez.

I think you will like the SRAM drive train better. (Well, for the two or three rides you have on it before you remove it with a stationary rock.)
Funny thing is that I have never torn off a derailleur by hitting a rock. They have all been upon impact after a high speed jump or drop. I'm perplexed. I have been a shimano man for a long time, but all signs point to shimano being the weak link.

·
I don't do PC
7,363 Posts
Hey El C- throw up a shot of the drivetrain, maybe someone could fiqure it out. Doesn't make sense that it all of a sudden started happening though if it was the der., I would think if the shimano der. didn't play well with the TNT rear someone would of already experienced this but who knows?

edit: with the TNT rear doesn't the der. bolt to the chainstay and the housing/cables come in on the seatstay? Definitely sounds like that could be an issue when the suspension fully compresses like off jumps or drops.

·
Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rroeder said:
Hey El C- throw up a shot of the drivetrain, maybe someone could fiqure it out. Doesn't make sense that it all of a sudden started happening though if it was the der., I would think if the shimano der. didn't play well with the TNT rear someone would of already experienced this but who knows?
It's kind of a mystery. All of my riding buddies with the exception of Lycra FR are using Sram, with no problems. I'd hate to think the the 5-spot TNT seat and chain stays have anything to do with it, but you never know. I'll slap the Sram stuff on today, and report after tomorrow's ride.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
It sounds like the rear derailleur more than anything else. I'm not sure if chain growth due to the Faux rear end has anything to do with it. It seems that the rear wheel movement is very close to the HL, so it shouldn't be the problem. It is possible though.

I have noticed more chain growth on basic sp bikes like the Heckler, Joker, Gemini and I broke a few chains on these style of bikes, but never the rear derailleur.

·
Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rroeder said:
Hey El C- throw up a shot of the drivetrain, maybe someone could fiqure it out. QUOTE]

Snuff you want, snuff you shall receive. I don't think this will give any indication as to what caused it, as I took this after I have snipped the cable, and removed the der. from the hanger. Look closely to see broken and bent spokes.

Attachments

·
Outcast
8,575 Posts
it's obvious from the pic that you are an unskilled rider, who doesn't know how to pick a line through rocks, or in this case, desert grass.:winker: you should give up biking, and apply your [lack of] homer skills to something rigorous like knitting.:madmax:

Just kidding El C. Since gonzo hadn't yet provided content to this thread, I thought I would interject it.:)

·
I don't do PC
7,363 Posts
Hard to tell for sure, are you in the biggest cog(lowest gear) in the back when your launching? If not does the der ghost shift down a few cogs when landing? I agree with DB, sounds like a cable/housing issue especially considering where the der. ripped off.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
After reviewing your picture, I'll say it again...

Your chain is too short which is rotating your derailleur beyond it's natural range upon impact, which is pulling on the cable and snapping it. Derailleur into spokes, the rest is history.

·
Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dusty Bottoms said:
After reviewing your picture, I'll say it again...

Your chain is too short which is rotating your derailleur beyond it's natural range upon impact, which is pulling on the cable and snapping it. Derailleur into spokes, the rest is history.
Wrong again. Chain length is good. I was in middle ring in the front, and gear 7 in the rear.

·
Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nhodge said:
i noticed you are using cable discs. since money isn't the issue, i was wondering what it is about them you prefer over hydraulics?
I'm glad you asked. I have given serious thought to hydros, in fact I used to run them until 2002, when I discovered these avid mechs. Everyone I know with hydros has issues at some point. The mech's are just as powerful. Easier to adjust. Never need bleeding. The only downside is lever feel, but if you change out your cables every 6 months or so, they maintain that smooth feel. Both myself, and Joe moto are the only ones in my group that run the mechs, and I'm 230 lbs, and he is over 240 lbs. We both swear by them.

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,120 Posts
I don't really have any input here other than to say . . . OUCH! Sorry to hear about your troubles El C. I hope you solve this issue soon so there are even more pics to look at every morning when I get to work. Good luck man!

·
I don't do PC
7,363 Posts
In cactus's TNT thread they mentioned they had to lengthen the rear piece of housing a bit when switching between rear ends, it does sound like a housing length issue, did you put on the same piece of housing from the horst rear?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Grab your typical derailleur parallelogram and push it towards the spokes. It moves, yes? The only thing pulling the der outward is spring tension. Now try to pull it outward. No movement, yes? Now you are fighting cable tension (which is static). A low normal (rapidrise) der would not swing into the spokes on a hard impact because the cable would hold the der out of the spokes. That is about the only benefit I could see to that setup.

Sram ders typically have higher parallelogram spring tensions than Shimano stuff since the 1:1 ratio allows this. If Shimano ders had as high a spring tension, the 2:1 ratio would make the cable feel very stiff at the shifter. I would either try Saint or Stram at this point. The chain tensioner obviously didn't do the trick. Bummer.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.