Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently started riding again and went and bought an Enduro Comp.

After the first couple of rides, the chain/gears started making a grinding noise and I could feel increased resistance. I took it back to LBS and as expected they claimed new bikes breakin and have cable stretch, no big deal. I have had it to them twice and the problem still exists. The problem is, the grinding does not happen when the bike is up on the work stand with no weight on it. Only when you are in the saddle and pedaling. Where can I start to figure this out?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Check cable housing.

You really need to take it back to the shop, and ride it next to the Mech. He (or she) may be able to help by listening for the type of sound you have.

THe cable housing under the BB shell needs to have a decent loop to it, to prevent the cable from pulling tight while the suspension is compressing.

Are you able to tell where the sound is coming from? The front, misddle, or back of the bike? Does it do it with your feet off of the pedals, and coasting? Does it do it in all gear combl's, or just a few? (if a few, what gear combo?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check out the cable housing. The noise sounds and feels like it is coming from front sprocket, but this is occurring in all gears identically. I will take it back to the shop and ask them to actually ride it while I am still there.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the bike back to LBS where purchased and they looked at it right away. They decided to throw a new chain on it and that solved the binding/gring noise in all gears. Went for a trail ride the next morning, and as soon as I started climbing, all kinds of noise started coming from the front and rear derailers in lower gears. Had to abandon ride and go back to LBS for the third time.

This time I left it there and they called back in about an hour to come and pick it up. They made some adjustments in both derailliers and made some more slack in rear deraillier cable. Seems to be working ok now. Maybe I will actually be able to make it through a whole ride with no more problems?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Give them a chance.

I work at a shop, and am a professional bike mechanic. Sometimes, I get a bike that has issues I have a rough time figuring out. They will get it right. Good Luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damion said:
I work at a shop, and am a professional bike mechanic. Sometimes, I get a bike that has issues I have a rough time figuring out. They will get it right. Good Luck.
I have no doubt they will get it right. I haven't had a chance to really ride the bike since I got it back last, but it seems to shift like butter now, and I don't feel any binding.

I actually have a lot of respect for this particular shop. Was just getting frustrated after spending a couple grand.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Describe....

ebnash said:
Went for a trail ride the next morning, and as soon as I started climbing, all kinds of noise started coming from the front and rear derailers in lower gears. Had to abandon ride and go back to LBS for the third time.
What do you mean by "lower" gears? Small in front and small in back? Small in front and big in back? Please explain.

Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ken in KC said:
What do you mean by "lower" gears? Small in front and small in back? Small in front and big in back? Please explain.

Ken
Yes, typically your lower gears are small in front and big in back. I was referring to mainly to running on the small ring in front. Once I shifted to small front gear, the chain started rubbing on front derailier and after shifting back up to the second ring, it reamined. I have a feeling something moved when I made the first drop on the front ring.

Either way, my LBS mech. said he made adjustments on both derailers and repositioned rear derailier cable because it was too tight.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Yes, I understand

ebnash said:
Yes, typically your lower gears are small in front and big in back. I was referring to mainly to running on the small ring in front. Once I shifted to small front gear, the chain started rubbing on front derailier and after shifting back up to the second ring, it reamined. I have a feeling something moved when I made the first drop on the front ring.

Either way, my LBS mech. said he made adjustments on both derailers and repositioned rear derailier cable because it was too tight.
I'm reasonably familiar with gear ratios and combinations. I was just trying to clarify what you meant.

What type of shifters are on the bike? Grip shift or trigger?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ken in KC said:
I'm reasonably familiar with gear ratios and combinations. I was just trying to clarify what you meant.

What type of shifters are on the bike? Grip shift or trigger?
Stock triggers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.