Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this driver from KD for a P7 build and it is supposed to have a temperature sensor built in. Does anyone know how this works? Do I need to attach the driver to the heatsink? If that is the case, how do i do it? what part of the driver needs to be attached to the heatsink? Is it enough to have the driver within the housing and not attached to it?

·
Registered
520 Posts
KD wasnt working for me, but if thats the driver i'm thinking of, it gets hot, the temp sensor is internal to the controller IC and is there for the preservation of the IC chip.

You'd probably want to keep it away from your LED as its a heat source, and the safe operating temp may not match with the LED anyways.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the temperature control function has nothing to do with protecting the LEDs? It's just for the board? This is how the bflex works "Temperature monitoring of driver board. If closely coupled with the light's body, it can be user configured to force the current output to reduce. Optional trip points of 50, 60, 70, 80, 90C or off".

I already have one driver at home that I was going to try out. It is relatively inexpensive and has simple 3 mode with low, med and high which I like. I read on the CP forum that someone had replaced a couple of diods which solved the over heating problem. I will eventually migrate to using the better drivers when I have figured out how the whole LED thing works.

·
Registered
453 Posts
dkvick said:
I bought this driver from KD for a P7 build and it is supposed to have a temperature sensor built in. Does anyone know how this works?
Basically this driver is an overdriven version of an 1 amp driver. So its not very reliable and efficient. The temperature control is in the IC chip, but it's too high (more than 100C) for the leds. The other "controls" are the components which can overheat and thus shut down the driver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.