Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I replaced the stock crank with my Race Face Next LP which has 5 bolts. The prior crank had 4 bolts and the rings were different. I also replaced the tires and put on the 2.1 Kenda Nevgals which are a fat 2.1.

I just got my bike back from the LBS where I had a tune up. The owner/mechanic told me that my rear tire was rubbing the front derailur because it the tire was to fat. Personally I think it is a crank issue. The Next LP is a 5 bolt crank however is it possible to get the same size rings that were on the prior 4 bolt crank to fit the current crank?

I hope I am not making this confusing. I think I may switch out the tire first since that is the cheaper option.

Any suggestions?

This bike is almost brand new.

Thanks,
Mr. A

·
Registered
172 Posts
Did you replace the bottom bracket when you installed the Next LP crankset? The stock bottom bracket used with the Evolve XC crankset is very narrow at only 108mm wide so it is probably too narrow for the LP's. I have plenty of room for a wider tire with the stock setup on my '04 NRS 1. I'd guess that a wider bottom bracket will be necessary with the LP's. you can do a quick check by shifting into the middle cog and middle chainring, then look at the chain alignment. It should be perfectly straight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out and get back to you. No I didn't change the bottom bracket.

The LP crank w/ chain rings wouldn't fit at first because the large chain ring was to big. SO I took that off and put a bash guard on. That allowed me to tune it properly but it's still not right.

I will check out your tip and post soon.

Thanks,
Mr. A

·
Registered
63 Posts
MrAnderson said:
Recently I replaced the stock crank with my Race Face Next LP which has 5 bolts. The prior crank had 4 bolts and the rings were different. I also replaced the tires and put on the 2.1 Kenda Nevgals which are a fat 2.1.

I just got my bike back from the LBS where I had a tune up. The owner/mechanic told me that my rear tire was rubbing the front derailur because it the tire was to fat. Personally I think it is a crank issue. The Next LP is a 5 bolt crank however is it possible to get the same size rings that were on the prior 4 bolt crank to fit the current crank?

I hope I am not making this confusing. I think I may switch out the tire first since that is the cheaper option.

Any suggestions?

This bike is almost brand new.

Thanks,
Mr. A
I have a 2003 NRS2 and as far as your tire rubbing I Find that hard to believe. I am running a Geax Blade 2.25 which is more like 2.5 and have no rubbing at all. It is probably your BB or craks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VaNRS2 said:
I have a 2003 NRS2 and as far as your tire rubbing I Find that hard to believe. I am running a Geax Blade 2.25 which is more like 2.5 and have no rubbing at all. It is probably your BB or craks.
thanks! that's what I think it is. over the weekend I switched out the rear Kenda 2.1 and put on a trailblaster for the time being. Until I get more money and the proper tools that crank will have to do. It still rides great but for now I need to ride a smaller 2.1 to give the rear derailur clearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts