Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a stupid question, but I will ask it anyways... I have no problems looking stupid. :D

Is there a concern when dealing with mixing manufacturers components? Say for instance I have SRAM x.7 shifters, and f/r derailleurs. Should I try to stay with SRAM cranks and cassette, or is going with something like a Shimano XT M770 series crank and cassette fine? Also, if I were to go with this drive train, what should I go with for the chain?

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
everything will work fine together except the shimano rear deraillier and sram shifters the sram stuff has a 1:1 pull ratio and the shimano is 2:1

there are pluses and minuses for both brands. I've had bad luck with Sram chains and cassettes, most of my friends love them. Im in the Shimano camp

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
Not any more...at least not with Grip shift...I have a Sram Attack shifter pulling a Shimano Hone derailleur shiftin a DA cassette... works great..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, cool. I have a new bike being built at my LBS that is being upgraded to SRAM x.7 shifters, front, and rear derailleurs. It comes with a Shimano FC-M442 crank and SRAM PG950 cassette. So, I was thinking that later this summer I would upgrade both. I was looking at Shimano Deore XT M770 cassette and the Shimano XT FC-M770 crankset. I just wanted to make sure there was not going to be a compatibility issue.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I have mixed-and-matched cranks/casettes, shifters, and front derailleurs with no issues at all. It's all the same basically. Currently on my commuter, I'm running an 8 speed MTB rear casette with a short cage road derailleur and 9 speed chain on a road double crankset designed for 10 speed. You can get away with a lot...
But as mentioned, the rear derailleur has to agree with your trigger shifters. I tried to get a 1:1 sram rear derailleur to play nice with 2:1 shimano LX shifters once, because I am stubborn and don't listen to people, and it didn't end well. I thought I could pull it off because they were nine speed shifters and it was an 8 speed casette... I know nothing about that could possibly work on paper, but I thought in the real world... :lol:

All the 1:1 and 2:1 means is that for every mm of cable pulled in the shifter, the derailleur moves 1mm in a 1:1 application and 2mm in a 2:1 application. Sram = 1:1, Shimano = 2:1 basically.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Germany_chris said:
Not any more...at least not with Grip shift...I have a Sram Attack shifter pulling a Shimano Hone derailleur shiftin a DA cassette... works great..
to clarify, SRAM has separate product lines for Shimano compatible shifters but still primarily makes shifters and derailleurs that use their own 1:1 cable pull. All shifters with a word name (Rocket, Attack, etc) are Shimano compatible, all shifters and derailleurs with an X.something name are 1:1

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just to throw it out there, The 1:1 pull won't work with shimano or campy friction shifters either. Front D's don't matter when running friction. My road bike has a campy front D and I'm using an old DA friction DT shifters. Only matters if using indexing front D's. But thats besides the point.

But cassettes and chains and cranks are all okay. Just make sure the chain is the right size. 8spd chains will not work with 9 speed cassettes. but 9spd chains will work on 8spd cassettes, just wear faster. Now, for a little more confusion in the bag, I use two SS (3/8" chain) chainrings on my 2X8, and never have front shifting issues, not to say it would be smoother if I was using a ramped and pinned big ring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
jonathan fry said:
Can I use an XT 9 speed dualshifter with an 8 speed cassette? Is it just a matter of adjusting the cable tension?
Short answer:
No. It might work OK in some of the gears, but it won't work well on all 8.

Long answer:
The reason it won't work is that the 8 cogs of the cassette are spaced further apart than the cogs of a 9 speed cassette. The shifter's clicks are set at a specific distance, so for 9 speed shifters they won't move the derailleur far enough for the wider spacing of an 8-speed cassette.

The distances involved are very small, and there is some slop in most systems. This means that in a pinch you could get your set up to work for a few gears, but the farther you shift, the worse it'll get.

Also, I believe your question more appropriately belongs in the Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks. No worries, just next time if it isn't direclty 29er specific, that might be a better place for it.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
True...

Enduro_506 said:
No, you can't. 9 speed shifter needs a 9 speed cassette.
9 speed has 9 cogs crammed in the same space as 8 speed. The cogs are closer together to fit.

The notches on an 8 speed shifter won't line up with a 9 speed cassette, and vice versa.

Also, Campy is different, and older Dura Ace 8 speed is not compatible with all other 8 speed. I found that one out the hard way. I tried forever to make my Dura Ace 8 speed shifters work with an Ultegra, XT and XTR derailleurs on an 8 speed cassette until I found out they have a different pull ratio. Heh... the bike shops I talked to were all clueless about this too. Once I found a Dura Ace 8 speed derailleur, it all worked great.

7 speed and 8 speed have the same spacing.

Yeah, if you can get your hands on a good set of XT Dual Controls, do it. Just get a 9 speed cassette and chain to go with it. The derailleur is the same. I love my Dual Control XTRs. Only way to fly (with gears), IMO. I'm actually working on getting another set of calipers to go with my LX DCs in my parts bin. I'm hoping to put together an easy bolt-on gear kit for my Singular Swift Singlespeed. Steel hardtail for winter, baby!!! Since winter chews up drivetrain parts, I just use a cheapo 9 speed Performace Bike cassette. You can get them for like $18.

29er content... this is my cross bike with DuraAce8 shifters and mountain cassette to grind up the steeps. 700c is 29er, right? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.