Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove to Buffalo Creek this am for a little father daughter ride time. Checked out the Buffalo Burn trail:thumbsup: (sorry schnauzers will be in steamboat that week, can't make Trail Day) No real agenda today other than to have fun, and that we did! It was actually nice to travel at a leisurely pace and look around, even stop to taste the sweetness of a honeysuckle.
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle accessory Iron Bicycle part Bicycle Cylinder

Groundcover Tool Hand tool Natural material Subshrub

Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle helmet Sports equipment

Toe Skin Barefoot Foot Organ

Had to cool those feet off afterwards!
Nice to just slow down and enjoy things a little more! Yah , it was defianately worth it!!

·
Not-quite-geezer RVer
243 Posts
Hey, you people look awfully familiar... ;)

I'm glad to hear y'all had a good ride. I hope the pre-ride pics turned out okay?

As you may recall, I took off in the other direction, and ended up with a fantastic little 41st birthday ride on my little red bike. Forgot my camera so got no pics, but it was actually kinda cool to ride without it for a change. They almost never do justice to scenery like yesterday's anyway, especially late in the day, out in the burned-out part of the forest, when the storms blew in--awesome. I was very satisfied with the loop I settled on yesterday too. Probably not news to you locals, but I'll share it anyway just in case anybody's looking for ideas for a longish ride in Buffalo Creek:

Little Scraggy TH > Colorado Trail > Green Mountain CCW > Colorado Trail > ******* Creek > Gashouse > Miller Gulch > Charlie's Cutoff > Sandy Wash > 543 > Shinglemill > Colorado Trail

Registered 31.1 miles, 4.0 hours of ride time, and almost 6 hours of clock time. I guess I had a similar attitude to you guys yesterday and took plenty of leisurely rest stops to look around, eat, and chat. Highlights were the side loop around Green Mountain and associated repeat of a short section of CO trail; the decent of Charlie's Cutoff and Sandy Wash which together combine for a long, smooth, swoopy ride that was super fun despite the little sandy layer; and the climb up Shinglemill featuring lots of otherworldly views that gave plenty of excuses to stop and rest near the end of a long day.

Oh, and I guess one more highlight (of sorts) was the full-blown superman dismount I performed approaching the creek crossing on Sandy Wash. It was just like when a horse decides "I ain't jumping that!" at the last second. I realized too late that it was a deeper dropoff into the water than I expected, hit the brakes hard, and the bike dug into the sand and stopped cold. I went flying arms first and crash-landed onto the beach just short of the water. Would have been really funny if I had ended up actually splashing in, but instead I was just mildly bloodied from the gravelly sand and carried on with a goofy grin.

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey foldsinhalf, Yes, thank you for those. I was thinking i should have snapped one of your ride as well. That looks like a pretty cool bike! Happy Birthday!!! Sounds like you had a good ride, hope all is well! I missed several photo ops on fri. with the two gals who were headed to kenosha from just below Lennys rest (did you ladies make it to your car?) And the guy KO and i stopped to convert his geared bike into a temporary ss after he ripped off his derailler and had no idea what a chain tool was, so he could get back to his car at the eq. center. Maybe i converted him to a singlespeeder!!! All in all a great weekend!! :thumbsup: :cool:

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
PBR me! said:
Drove to Buffalo Creek this am for a little father daughter ride time. Checked out the Buffalo Burn trail:thumbsup: (sorry schnauzers will be in steamboat that week, can't make Trail Day) No real agenda today other than to have fun, and that we did! It was actually nice to travel at a leisurely pace and look around, even stop to taste the sweetness of a honeysuckle.
No problem. Glad you had fun and enjoyed the trail. When you were riding the northern most part of the burn trail, you would have seen where the trail we will be building at the Epic Weekend will go. It will connect to 543 (eventually) through some nice "more advanced" terrain (read: rocks) and allow a connection from 543 to Little Scraggy without having to ride the paved death trap of Rt. 126.

I was patrolling in BC yesterday. We handed out many maps, a couple of tubes, and smiles.

Work Center> 543> Tramway> CT> ******* Creek TR. > Gashouse> Charlies> Sandywash> Work Center

Some clouds, a little spitting, but nice cool temps made it a great ride (oh and the Avery Milk Stout at Zoka's was outstanding).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.