Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Daniel the Dog
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Niner Jet 9 RDO is 26 lbs with pedals. It is a blast and I ride it on everything. I like the triple for racing and would rather not buy a SID 120 at this point. I have no clue how guys drop their Niner 9 RDO's into 23 lbs.

My build:

Medium Niner Jet 9 RDO
Fox F29 120
King headset and bottom bracket
Ergon grips
Nine speed XTR crankset, pedals, cassette, chain.
Formula Bianco Oro Puro brakes with 6" rotors
Specialized Phenom arse hatchet (will change out to a WTB Devo saddle soon)
Easton 90 carbon seat post.
Easton 70 stem
Rear wheel is DT Hugi 240 with Stan's Crest rims with Maxxis Icon set up tubeless
Front wheel is Hope with Stan's Crest rims with Schwalbe Rocket Ron set up tubeless

Attachments

·
COTA member
971 Posts
One gets to 23# by running SRAM XX (1 or 2 x 10) and a SID XX WC 100mm fork and skimpy tires on narrow carbon rims. Leave your J9 RDO alone and build up a light weight SS.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice bike but I didn't like the ride with a 100mm fork--too twitchy. I am going to get a Racing Ralph for the rear with snakeskin because I hate torn out tires at mile 70 of a race :) I also like triple crank's for racing for those road sections.

A SS might be fun. I noticed Niner is dropping prices like crazy. I like the SIR 9 a lot and am considering one...I found a frame for sub $600 in my size. Also, Specialized has a SS complete bike called the Carve for $1,200.00 that looks fun and cheap.

Hope California is treating you well. We are freezing our tails up here.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My Niner Jet 9 RDO is 26 lbs with pedals. It is a blast and I ride it on everything. I like the triple for racing and would rather not buy a SID 120 at this point. I have no clue how guys drop their Niner 9 RDO's into 23 lbs.

Removal of that there stop sign size big ring ya got there has got to be good for at least three pounds :eek:

Seriously though, I'd be doing XX1 if it were my bike and I had some dough.

·
Registered
629 Posts
26 lbs, really? My large is at 25.5 lb right now, and on paper it looks like you'd be lighter. Probably gotta go xx1/xx, or start shaving grams on perfectly good parts.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You could drop some weight with a Race Face Next SL 2x10, comes in at 595 grams. This may be almost a pound you could save there, you go with carbon wheels too, maybe a lighter derailieur and a SRAM XX cassette. These items I mentioned are not cheap but may get you close to a high 23 pounds if not low 24's... Oh yeah the SID XX 120mm would also help you get there too, those older Fox forks like yours are so much more heavier. It is do-able to get to 23 but you'll pay for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
mine weight in at about 24.9 lbs
with the following spec.
to lower it further, i would need to change to Single chain front / Wheelset to have noticable drop in weight.
Frame: Niner Jet 9 RDO size M
Fork : Fox 29er FIT RLC 100mm
Hubs: Chris King
Spokes: Wheelsmith DB
Rims: ZTR Crest
Shifters: M980 XTR
Derailleur front: M985 XTR E 2 type
Derailleur rear: M985 XTR shadow plus
Crank: M980 double Crankset 26/38
BB: Parlee PF30 shimano Adapter
Brakes : M980 XTR
Rotos: Formula rotor 160mm F/R
Cassette : M980 XTR 11-36
Chain : KMC SL-10
Handlebar : Easton EC70 Flat Carbon 685mm
Grip:Richey Ergo Foam Grip
Stem : Thomson 90 mm
Seatpost : Thomson Elite ( cut to 350mm)
Seatpost clamb : Niner
Saddle : Selle Italia SLR XC Flow
Tires : Conti RK
Paddles: M980 XTR

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Jaybo that seems a little heavy, I'm running Arch's a 2.35 ss Nobby Nic and a 2.25 ss Racing Ralph and I'm at 25.75#. Oh did I mention that's with a dropper post as well. That fork might be some of your problem or your scale.

·
Registered
410 Posts
nobody is mentioning his bottle cage :) That's actually the only part I'm really in doubt about with my build at the moment :) Ideas ?: )

Oww, nice bike man ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased a XT factory build. Weighing in at 23.4 lbs. Im hoping to get it close to 22lbs.
Thinking about the 1x10 but only if I have to. Im finding little things here and there like rotors, seat post, stem, grips and peddles to lean down on....

Any other suggestions. Im looking into the one about the plastic under the saddle....

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I just purchased a XT factory build. Weighing in at 23.4 lbs. Im hoping to get it close to 22lbs.
Thinking about the 1x10 but only if I have to. Im finding little things here and there like rotors, seat post, stem, grips and peddles to lean down on....

Any other suggestions. Im looking into the one about the plastic under the saddle....
Ship all of these & get some good carbon rims

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah if 1500 -2k was a drop in a hat for me.... Im only a weekend warrior. A few oz is an obtainable goal with the reward of having a 22lb full sup 9er.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Light bike carbon rims are less than $200 ea ( plus the wheel rebuild ) & that will really make the bike.

I have had 2 Jet9 RDO's & they are that good that dropping Ib of the bike weight really won't change things much at all, If you want an upgrade that will really change the bike, Carbon rims is it.

yeah if 1500 -2k was a drop in a hat for me.... Im only a weekend warrior. A few oz is an obtainable goal with the reward of having a 22lb full sup 9er.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Light bike carbon rims are less than $200 ea ( plus the wheel rebuild ) & that will really make the bike.
Any idea what the rebuilds cost? And where can I find a good strong carbon wheel @ 200? Like I said before I thought a good carbon wheel would cost me half of what I paid for the bike. ..
And how do you know if a carbon wheel will hold up to my rooty/rocky terrains I ride?

·
Registered
236 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts