Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do most people get some liquid down?

Bottle in back pocket
Camelback style arrangement
Single cage on frame

Any unique ideas?

·
Registered
636 Posts
None. Go out for 45 minutes without water. Start hydrating days before. I've never seen anyone with a water bottle.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
I usually just take beer handups. Sometimes you can shotgun before you go off too. Or just catch up on your drinking after the race.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Beer hand-ups become beer-come-back-ups for me. Tequila hand-ups are nice, especially in cold weather.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
In all seriousness, I usually bring a small waterbottle with about 3 gulps of water in it in my back jersey pocket for when I get thirsty.

·
Kilted Cyclist
360 Posts
I take a bottle when I am warming up. I usually drink half of it and leave t in my back pocket for emergency. I have yet to drink from it yet.

Also, I live in Vancouver, Canada. With the exception of one or two races, most of my races and cold and damp.

·
Teen Wolf
891 Posts
nobody brings water because it wouldn't be cool. if more people started bringing water then it would catch on. that said, i don't bring water because i don't want all the cool people laughing at me.

i think i may throw a bottle in the cage this fall and see how it works.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I try to be hydrated when I start. It's not a terribly long time to be without water.

Lately I've been thinking about putting a plastic bottle cage on my seat tube. I'm pretty sure that a cage on the downtube would interfere with the way that I shoulder my bike, but actually I think I'm far enough forward relative to the seat tube for a bottle there to clear sort-of okay - it'd be up against my back, but maybe not interfere with how I carry the bike.

Run-ups seem to be out of fashion in my region. One of my teammates started using a bottle cage late last season. He races in a higher category than me, so for over an hour a lot of the time.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yup. If you have family/friends there ask them to give you a bottle, take a sip and drop it on the ground.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I don't bother with anything on normal fall weather days. On the early hot days I bring a small bottle on the bike. I'm 6'5" so my triangle is so huge it doesn't inhibit any of the carrying.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yup. If you have family/friends there ask them to give you a bottle, take a sip and drop it on the ground.
Agree.

Bottle cages inhibit the proper carrying of a bike for most people. You can always keep one of those small gel flasks in your jersey or inside your spandex along your lower thigh just to wet your whistle. You should really be able to go 40ish minutes without more than a few sips. If you're dehydrating, then you were already like that before the race.

It has nothing to do with cool factor. Placing a bottle back in your jersey pocket while aero/at speed is a pita for most. Suffer for the win, winning is the point of racing, no?

·
Registered
552 Posts
If it's hot (30-40C+), I generally use a single cage/bottle on the DT. If it's cold, then I just lose the cage and drink before and after the race.

Most of the CX races I've been in have been over 30C, with on last January at 39C (102F), so I brought a bottle. I haven't had any issues with the bottle or cage getting in the way.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
USAC rules actually prohibit feeds in CX unless the temps are above a certain limit, so handups from the sidelines aren't generally allowed. If you carry your own you can drink from it, but we had some 'issues' with handups at some local races where they were threatening DQ for anyone who took a handup under that rule. Depends on the officials as well, though. Personally, I don't carry anything since my skinsuit has no pockets and a cage gets in the way when you shoulder the bike, but if you really think you need a sip in that 45+1 lap then do whatever suits you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts