Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this is only vaguely related to mountain biking. But I'm considering getting a drilling rig job b/c of the money and the schedule. Make two grand for one week of work and have a week off sounds appealing. I know it is hard work in often adverse conditions. Has anybody on this forum worked on a drilling rig or know someone who has and can offer some substantial advice?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Not too much advice but...

I work for a enviro consulting company that subcontracts a lot of drilling work for geotech and monitoring well installation work. I'm pretty sure that kind of work doesn't privide the pay or schedule that you're talking about though so it sounds like you're looking for work in an oil field?

Either way, be aware of the potential to live out of a hotel for long periods of time and to work with (how to be tactful?) a certain "ilk" of coworkers - brush up on your swear words and vulgarity. The pay is in-line with the danger factor too. We used to employ someone who is now a vegitable due to an air line coupling blowing off and hitting in the head - wear your hard hat and other PPE all the time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think drilling environmental wells is a differrent game than being a roughneck

the guy who asked the question: you are right with the pay and hours, work hard and get payed for it.

It is very dangerous, but I guess they pay you for it, and there is plenty of work between rifle and GJ

Good luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
I worked on work-over rigs in Wyoming when I was 19 ('79). Lived out of the back of my folks '72 Chrysler T&C wagon in the shop yard. Showered at various motels for $10 or so. From first of September to my birthday on the the 27th when I was unceremoniously crushed by some equipment. Six broken ribs, punctured lung, F'd up knee, semi-ruptured spleen. If there was a good part it was the cute little Mormon ICU nurse that reluctantly gave me the sponge bath. The $'s sound good but realize that your gonna get F'd. How bad is the question. Everyone out there had been at some time or another. It's really not worth the sponge bath is the moral of the story.

·
MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer
632 Posts
Yes.

hankthespacecowboy said:
Okay, so this is only vaguely related to mountain biking. But I'm considering getting a drilling rig job b/c of the money and the schedule. Make two grand for one week of work and have a week off sounds appealing. I know it is hard work in often adverse conditions. Has anybody on this forum worked on a drilling rig or know someone who has and can offer some substantial advice?
There are jobs all over the place. The kids getting out of high school are making a fat pound of cash. They are screaming for people to work that are drug free, and dependable. Many people look down on what these guys are doing, but fail to remember how they heat their homes. I say go for it If you like working outside, and don't mind getting dirty. I have a few friends that work on the wireline trucks woking with explosives. The best thing would be for you to make a call to one of the local service companies.

TJ

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Right now I'm hopefully getting a job driving a water truck. It's not the schedule I was hoping for, but it is a chance to get my CDL and make an impressive-to-me amount of money and get back on a bike and have capital for adventures.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What's happening in Gateway?

Is it getting boring at the resort, or what?

You guys could always move to GJ for better job availability and I suppose your wife could commute or carpool out to Gateway if she still wants to work out there. Just an idea.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife is not the issue here!

I'm not married. You're thinking of another mountain biking Gateway employee. They already got disgruntled and moved to Salida. Now that I'm living in Junction, my ardor for developing trails in Gateway has cooled. As I'm exploring the Junction area public lands, I realize the double-edged beauty of Gateway. Sure, there aren't any developed/designated trails. But there aren't any closed trails either. So now it has become my weekend exploring spot.

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
My bro in law worked on a drilling rig when he was in college. He lost the tips of 3 fingers in an accident, and a coworker lost his life in another. He had something heavy dropped on him from way up high. The kicker is that the person who dropped the heavy thing that killed the guy was the dead guys brother.

It's hard work, gets paid well, but the consequences are very high.

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Wow, I thought being a sawyer was dangerous work. At least I have co-workers that are aware of how easy it is to kill your partner. Safety is our first priority, no matter now inefficent and slow it makes us work.
I could stereotype all those roughneckers and say they are all stupid as $h!t and blame their laziness for their poor safety record. But I wont since I have never worked at a drilling rig and I'm sure there is a lot of stuff that can go horribly wrong.

·
keep pedaling
55 Posts
Been there, done that

I too worked a oil rig during college, ('84), but I doubt much has changed. They start you as a "worm" and you work in "worm corner", which is the most dangerous place on the floor because you've got nowhere to run when the sh*t happens. If you are lucky enough to get on a crew that is alert, sober and cares to watch out for you, you may be fine. I almost lost fingers, hands and once jumped off the stairs to avoid a joint of pipe hitting me in the mid section. I wasn't stupid, it's a dangerous job, and other people can be stupid which kills you. I wouldn't go back now, regardless of the money. Get a job in the service side, maybe a mud hand. Water truck drivers work long hours, but you'll be safer. As earlier posts have said, it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wound up getting a job as a water truck driver. Found a place that will pay to train me and get my CDL, so I'm stoked about that. The dispatcher guy is also into mountain bikes, and is sympathetic to needing time off to ride. Yes indeed, we do work long hours, but will give me money for bike parts, and there may be the possiblity of working a one week on, one week off schedule. I am glad I got this job and not one on a rig. It's way easier and safer. One location has caught fire 3x so far. Kinda interesting when you are walking around the location and find chunks of charred wood...

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey jesus boots! I know what you are really doing... i saw you dressed as castro on american idol!!! P.S. Salida rocks, so dont tell anyone. got a great job, wonderful people, real mountains... this is nice... PM me some time...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.