Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting on some new pedals. The left pedal came out no problem, but the right pedal is siezed in the crank arm, and I rounded out both of my allen wrenches and the pedal as well. I guess I just learned the hard way to grease the threads. So I guess I'm going to have to drill out the pedal, but I have a couple of questions. First, since the axle is chromoly, what kind of bit do I need to get, Tungsten? Also, once I drill out the axle, how do I get the pedal out of there; won't the threads that are engaged still going to be siezed up?

Any advice on what I can do would be appreciated. BTW, it's a Truvativ Holzfeller pedal and Holzfeller crank.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
wow that sucks.....this is what i did w/ a buddy's

go buy yourself an easy out (about 6 bucks or less) while at the hardware store ask for a drill bit to cut into crome molly.......drill strait down in the center with oil in the allen area to keep the drill bit from overheating next screw in the easy out and presto done...very easy.

if you want to drive to simi I will do it for you...I will PM you my number

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
hbfrdh1 said:
I'm putting on some new pedals. The left pedal came out no problem, but the right pedal is siezed in the crank arm, and I rounded out both of my allen wrenches and the pedal as well. I guess I just learned the hard way to grease the threads. So I guess I'm going to have to drill out the pedal, but I have a couple of questions. First, since the axle is chromoly, what kind of bit do I need to get, Tungsten? Also, once I drill out the axle, how do I get the pedal out of there; won't the threads that are engaged still going to be siezed up?

Any advice on what I can do would be appreciated. BTW, it's a Truvativ Holzfeller pedal and Holzfeller crank.
Before drilling, try a vice grip on the pedal axle. Hack saw off the pedal if you have to so you can get a good grip on the axle. Use a grinder and grind flats onto the axle to get a good grip. Or remove the crank and put the pedal axle in a vice.

If you have to drill (last resort) when you drill out the axle, the remaining screw threads should just fall out. You might have to chase the threads with a tap. Caution, if you don't drill straight, you'll booger the threads. Hence, last resort.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
some people should not be allowed to "use" tools. mainly because they can't manage use, they know only ABUSE.

jeezus you must be one piece of shyte mechanic to lump problem on top of problem like that. why did you stop short of the chainsaw and blowtorch? why didn't you call the fire house and get the Jaws of Life?

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
gonzostrike said:
some people should not be allowed to "use" tools. mainly because they can't manage use, they know only ABUSE.

jeezus you must be one piece of shyte mechanic to lump problem on top of problem like that. why did you stop short of the chainsaw and blowtorch? why didn't you call the fire house and get the Jaws of Life?
Your point being?
Who's abusing tools?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
very good hint for locked up bolts in the future...tighten them before you loosen them and use oil to sit in...oh yeah make sure your tools are not worn...replace them if they are

·
Registered
404 Posts
I know this may sound stupid...but...are you turning it in the correct direction??

Also...you mentioned that you stiped your allen wrenches...did you try using a box wrench or even a pedal wrech at you LBS???

My friend is a jack ass and broke one of my Park pedal wrenched by trying to take off his pedals...he was just turning it the wrong way.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoaohohohoh said:
Probably too late for this,

But did you try and spray wd40 in there let and it soak for a few hours?
Nope, haven't tried that yet. It's probably too late, since the drive in the axle is stripped out a good bit, but it couldn't really hurt at this point. I'll give that a shot tonight.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
s1ngletrack said:
Have you tried removing the body of the pedal from the spindle so that you have more room to get a big ol' pair of vise grips on there?
Can't do that. It's one of those kind of pedals where you have to use an allen wrench from the back side of the crank arm.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
freeriderizzle said:
I know this may sound stupid...but...are you turning it in the correct direction??

Also...you mentioned that you stiped your allen wrenches...did you try using a box wrench or even a pedal wrech at you LBS???.
No, I don't think that's a stupid question. Most of the people I ride with don't know that one pedal threads in one way and the other another way. I have an extra set of pedals, so I made SUPER sure that I was turning in the right direction.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but what's a box wrench?

·
Kill that $hit!
809 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
wow that sucks.....this is what i did w/ a buddy's

go buy yourself an easy out (about 6 bucks or less) while at the hardware store ask for a drill bit to cut into crome molly.......drill strait down in the center with oil in the allen area to keep the drill bit from overheating next screw in the easy out and presto done...very easy.

if you want to drive to simi I will do it for you...I will PM you my number
Hey SMT, I've never heard of an Easy Out, but I think I get the genneral idea. I've got one of my bolts frozen and stripped out on my brake rotor. Do you think one of those will work for that as well?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
gonzostrike said:
rounding out allen keys?

wanting to DRILL OUT a pedal?

someone doesn't understand the mechanics of fasteners and the means to install and remove them.
dam your arrogant, instead of abusing the poor guy, who by the way has done NOTHING to you, why dont you help him, otherwise **** off and leave him alone...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
hbfrdh1 said:
Can't do that. It's one of those kind of pedals where you have to use an allen wrench from the back side of the crank arm.
This is a trend I do not like. Pedals should have 15 mm wrench flats AND allen sockets. Crank Bros is doing the allen-only thing, too. Different models use a different size which is a PITA.

Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
Have you tried removing the body of the pedal from the spindle so that you have more room to get a big ol' pair of vise grips on there?
s1ngletrack means disassemble the pedal. Remove the dust cap on the outside and unbolt the body from the spindle. Then use the vise grips or a bench vice on the bare spindle to remove it. You are already willing to destroy it, so why not? Much easier than drilling.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
MorphineAddict said:
Hey SMT, I've never heard of an Easy Out, but I think I get the genneral idea. I've got one of my bolts frozen and stripped out on my brake rotor. Do you think one of those will work for that as well?
yeah...easy baby

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
BJ- said:
dam your arrogant, instead of abusing the poor guy, who by the way has done NOTHING to you, why dont you help him, otherwise **** off and leave him alone...
BJ...get a clue he is speaking true words

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
shiggy said:
This is a trend I do not like. Pedals should have 15 mm wrench flats AND allen sockets. Crank Bros is doing the allen-only thing, too. Different models use a different size which is a PITA.

s1ngletrack means disassemble the pedal. Remove the dust cap on the outside and unbolt the body from the spindle. Then use the vise grips or a bench vice on the bare spindle to remove it. You are already willing to destroy it, so why not? Much easier than drilling.
man you don't know much about mechanics.....You drill a whole just big enough to use the easy out. You are not drilling the whole thing....man-oh-man

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
man you don't know much about mechanics.....You drill a whole just big enough to use the easy out. You are not drilling the whole thing....man-oh-man
I know how to spell "hole."
Still easier to disassemble the pedal and clamp the spindle in a vice. EZ-outs are the tool of last resort.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.