Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a brand new powdercoated frame and I would like to run full length shift cable housing.

What is the best way to drill out the cable stops and not screw up the surrounding powder coat? Dremel? Drill? If Dremel, which attachment?

I am a bit nervous that I am goign to take off huge chunks of powder coat. :madman:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I recently dremeled out the cable guides on my powdercoated Blur. Here's my thread on that:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=247468

I don't remember the drill bit size I used; I used the bit to scallop out and widen the guides to match the housing width I was using to be a snug fit. It took some trial-and-error and patience to do. Wrap your frame around the guides with tape or something to minimize the inevitable "dings". In my zeal to fire up the dremel, I forgot to do that (frame protection), and the resulting scratches still were very negligible...

Mine turned out great overall, and that was my first dremel experience, so it must not be that hard!

Good luck!

Cheers, Chris

·
otb club member
3,086 Posts
Dave in Driggs said:
I have a brand new powdercoated frame and I would like to run full length shift cable housing.

What is the best way to drill out the cable stops and not screw up the surrounding powder coat? Dremel? Drill? If Dremel, which attachment?

I am a bit nervous that I am goign to take off huge chunks of powder coat. :madman:
I was successful using flexible bit adapter kit and a cordless drill. It's a set of drill bits with a standard hex end that fits into flexible drive cable. It allows the drive cable to parallel the frame where a drill would not fit. Start with the smallest bit and work up. The previous recommendation about wrapping some protective tape around the frame applies to this method, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.