Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anybody has drilled out there rims. On the inside of your rim are holes drilled out to access the nipple head. What about adding additional holes between the exisiting ones? I know it has been done at least once in production. The Breezer backdraft rims did this.

Any worries about durability?

Just thought I would ask, I am sure I have several of you rushing to get your drill bits now.

Word.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if reducing spinning mass is the objective, i'd sooner lose the weight by going to lighter tires, tubeless tires/rims or lighter hubs/rim combos......... even changing to an XTR cassette would reduce rear wheel total weight.

i'd be afraid that it would effect the structural integrity of the rim in the long run. FWIW

·
Registered
336 Posts
I did this to some Valiants

I drilled out some Valiant rims on a wheelset I built a few months ago. I was disappointed in the weight savings, which was less than 10 grams per wheel. I don't feel like it weakened the wheel very much, but I doubt I'll do it again.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
it is not worth in saving weight by driling out rims. The rim integrity is severly compromised. It is best to save weight by changing disc on disc brakes. The best method to save weight is to change tires, saddle, seat post, stem, handle bar. handle bar can get quite heavy. You save 100gms of the handle bar alone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i once drilled a x317. as i got those rims quite cheap, it was more for fun than for seriously using it but then, anyhow, i've laced it up and been using that wheel for a few months now.

3 holes of 9mm (not sure, if it was exactly 9 but somewhere there) between two spokeholes and of course not drilled through the hole rim but only on the ring that you can't see when a tire is mounted; saved nearly 20g. so not too much saving here plus the rim feels a little softer laterally but was for this reason much easier to lace up and true than several non-drilled rims of the same kind...

·
ballbuster
12,709 Posts
Mongoose....

Logantri said:
Just curious if anybody has drilled out there rims. On the inside of your rim are holes drilled out to access the nipple head. What about adding additional holes between the exisiting ones? I know it has been done at least once in production. The Breezer backdraft rims did this.

Any worries about durability?

Just thought I would ask, I am sure I have several of you rushing to get your drill bits now.

Word.
... did this with BMX rims in the 80's. They were pretty stupid light for the times, IIRC, and they said with no loss in strength. They even came with Mylar rim strips in pretty colors.

·
Registered
375 Posts
As an experiment I have drilled out my Mavic CXP33 road rims (2X10mm holes between the 32 spoke holes and not drilled through to the spoke bed, saved about 10g per rim) and they have been fine for around 20,000 km. While the calculation i did worked out to be around 15g but in reality the saving is less. I guess the bead bed is not as thick as I thought it is.

While I have never brothered with drilling my 317s because I don't think the weight saving is that much, however I do think if you don't over do it it should be safe, remember every rim come with one hole already drilled between the spokes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
And what happens when you get 30g of water and dirt in the holes?
If the drilling is on the inside wall of a double wall rim, and doesn't go through the spokebed, how is anythiong going to get in there, beyond what gets inside ANY rim (which is to say, nothing).
An example of the sort of rim drilling people are talking about is seen on Surlys new super-wide "Large Marge" rim. However, even on such a massive scale, the weigh savings is not all that great, only 100grams off a rim that weigns over 1000 grams.

From Surly: "We offer Large Marge in a few configurations: 24" or 26", 32-hole and 36-hole downhill version, and 32-hole cruiser/cross-country version...all are drilled for a presta valve. What's the difference? The cross-country version is drilled out to shave some grams; the downhill version is not. What's the weight? The DH rim weighs 1150 grams(26"). The XC rim weighs 1050 grams(26")."

·
ballbuster
12,709 Posts
I had a set on ACS hubs..

gopriest31 said:
Pro Class model rims- they bring back fond memories ! They were kickin'!
... then I got into Freestyle, and ended up with coaster brake Tuff wheels. Dang, those were the days, eh? I had those on a white Haro Freestyler with Shimano mountain bike levers, Pegs and CW bars.... the anti-weight weenie setup in those days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.