Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new donor bike showed up a day early, so I started swapping parts. Smooth install. Everything slid/bolted/threaded right up beautifully. Got a buyer lined up for the old frame, and the stock bike parts pulled of this thing are being sold on local forums. Even getting a few new shiny bits for this bike, I'll at the least break even, and may even come out a bit ahead.

To do: awaiting the 8.5" x 2.5" DHX 5.0 Air to go on, and a King 1.5 reducer headset. You can probably guess what color was ordered on that one. :thumbsup: Spendy, but nice, and gives the option to easily run a 1.5 fork if wanted later. That'll take a 1/4 pound of the front right away. The FSA Pig reducer set is a freakin' tank.

The shorter shock will slacken things and drop things a bit. I'm estimating about another half degree at the head angle, and about a half inch at the BB height. Cheapo angle finder says 67* right now. Wheelbase just a touch as well; it's spot on 43" right now. BB height is about 14.5" now, unsagged. Wish someone made a 8.25" x 2.25" decent air shock that wasn't a custom arm and a leg cost. Either that or I have to look into having a shuttle made to run a 7.875" x 2.25" on here - that'd take the back down to 5.7". Hmmm... The DHX shock should be about a half pound less, if not more. I've no problems running an air shock.

Yes, the bars are up there. Likely will get rid of a bit more steer tube/spacer stack eventually too (there is a 10mm spacer on now) but wanted to leave it as is until getting some ride time in. Feels good, though all I was able to do was zip around a little bit on some pavement stuff this afternoon. The fit and feel stuff I didn't like about the Preston it felt like won't be an issue at all on this one. I like tall front ends. to keep the slackness and drop more height, I could always run a flush upper headset cup setup, though doubt I'll want to.

Huuuuge tire clearance in back. Slacker, lower with the upcoming shock - that'll give me about 6.3" rear travel. 180mm dropping down to 140mm up front for climbing when needed; something not used much on my rides, but a feature I like to have for those times when needed. Probably giving up a bit of rear end stiffness from the Preston, but that is less an issue at my size, and I feel the fit/geometry is more important anyhow.

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Scrub, we were talking earlier about Bullits and this IH. I notice the main pivot appears to be in a markedly different location, but I'm not sure how that will affect it. Otherwise it looks very Bullitesque. On a potential shuttle, do you know how wide that front shock mount space is?

·
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
TNC said:
Scrub, we were talking earlier about Bullits and this IH. I notice the main pivot appears to be in a markedly different location, but I'm not sure how that will affect it. Otherwise it looks very Bullitesque. On a potential shuttle, do you know how wide that front shock mount space is?
23mm width. i dont' think it would be too hard to fab something up. another set of secondary holes put into the frame to stabilise it would likeley work well. two small 6mm holes to direct mount into a little shuttle. what is the width of the older bullit model shuttles? getting one of those and retrofitting/adapting it may be even easier.

ding! old style bullit shuttles on the s.c. website for $23.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Weren't you on two Transition frames before this one?

Why the change?

Not that I blame you, I dropped my Preston right away once I realized it was overhyped and overpriced.

·
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dirt_Dog said:
Weren't you on two Transition frames before this one?

Why the change?

Not that I blame you, I dropped my Preston right away once I realized it was overhyped and overpriced.
yep. a covert - fit great, but wanted slacker numbers. thus the preston. slacker numbers, but the fit and feel just wasn't right. figured to ditch it early on, when i can still get decent money for the frame, rather than after beating on it more.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Bullit shuttle

scrublover said:
23mm width. i dont' think it would be too hard to fab something up. another set of secondary holes put into the frame to stabilise it would likeley work well. two small 6mm holes to direct mount into a little shuttle. what is the width of the older bullit model shuttles? getting one of those and retrofitting/adapting it may be even easier.

ding! old style bullit shuttles on the s.c. website for $23.
Yeah, that was what was on my mind. The Bullit is 22mm at that spot, hence the shuttle is also 22mm. Are you sure yours is 23mm? That's an odd sounding dimension. 22mm is one of the most common sizes made for shock eye spacing. If it is 23mm, I don't know why frame manufacturers do that...stupid oddball numbers that require finding oddball spacers...like it would have killed them to just drop a mm to stay at a very common size. I agree that probably just drilling another hole in the shock mount at the proper place would work if the shuttle would fit. There appears to be plenty of material on that shock mount plate...maybe more than on the Bullit.

Attachments

·
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TNC said:
Yeah, that was what was on my mind. The Bullit is 22mm at that spot, hence the shuttle is also 22mm. Are you sure yours is 23mm? That's an odd sounding dimension. 22mm is one of the most common sizes made for shock eye spacing. If it is 23mm, I don't know why frame manufacturers do that...stupid oddball numbers that require finding oddball spacers...like it would have killed them to just drop a mm to stay at a very common size. I agree that probably just drilling another hole in the shock mount at the proper place would work if the shuttle would fit. There appears to be plenty of material on that shock mount plate...maybe more than on the Bullit.
I read 23mm floating somewhere out there on the web; may not be accurate. At work now, so I can't actually measure. Eyeballing it with a small ruler with metric earlier it was 22-23mm or so. Hey, if it's larger than the shuttle that isn't too bad. I'd rather shim it than have to deal with shaving down the shuttle!

Yeah, I'm not worried about two more small holes on the mount plates.

·
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a stock Iron Horse 07 Yakuza Iniki. Bought the complete bike, basically just to get the frame for the sizing and geometry I wanted.

Swapped all the parts off my Preston FR. (other than the rear shock and headset) Could never really get it to feel right for me, and wanted to get on something else. 8.5x 2.5 DHX 5.0 Air shock and Chris King 1.5 reducer headset are both on the way to me to replace the last two bits of stock junk. The Aniki frame fit with what I wanted size wise, and what I wanted to end up with geometry wise, after some tweaking to suit my needs. And this way I'm starting with a still new and warranteeable frame.

Then the stock parts spec is getting sold off to help pay for everything, along with the Preston frame/shock . Pretty easy.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Nice Bike

It's nice, but the title of your thread had me thinking I was going to see guys in pig costumes like that condom commercial on TV.
Where's my head at?
Great bike though...

·
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SuperKat said:
It's nice, but the title of your thread had me thinking I was going to see guys in pig costumes like that condom commercial on TV.
Where's my head at?
Great bike though...
See now I have to google that. No idea what the hell that commercial is.

Just waiting on the damn headset and DHX air. Maybe something like Blue or Sprain will be dry enough this weekend, though I'm doubtful. The stuff where this bike will be good still has a bit of melting/drying to go I guess.

·
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lumbee1 said:
Scrub, how tall are you? That bike looks short and fat.
it is short and fat! that's what i like in my bikes. 43" wheelbase, 15" seat tube, 22" toptube. i'm 5'9" with regular arms/toro, short-ish legs.

yeah, all the fit stuff would have me on the 17", but i'm way more comfortable on smaller bikes.

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
Whatever D_D

Dirt_Dog said:
I dropped my Preston right away once I realized it was overhyped and overpriced.
I don't understand either point. Mine was $950 (MSRP) with the 4-way air shock upgrade, faced and chased, delivered with a free King HS installed from Will at Fanatic Bikes. So I don't see it as overpriced.

I've been beating on it since June of 2006 and it's proven to be tough. It's still just as stiff and tight as when I built it up. I still love to ride it and it's my favorite bike. It does exactly what it was designed for (free ride) and fits me well. It can fit a huge azz tire (it has 2.7 MaxxPro Mobsters on it right now). So I don't see how it was overhyped either.

Now back to Scrub's new bike...

I will like to see how this frame works out for you Scrub. I have a bullit (and 2 more bikes) also and it's great. Very different than the Preston, so maybe you'll like the high pivot better. I'm sure you'll let us know :thumbsup:

·
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Duzitall said:
Now back to Scrub's new bike...

I will like to see how this frame works out for you Scrub. I have a bullit (and 2 more bikes) also and it's great. Very different than the Preston, so maybe you'll like the high pivot better. I'm sure you'll let us know :thumbsup:
it's very, very similar to my first full suspension frame. which i like quite a bit. felt good just playing around outside on it. won't be able to get any decent trail time for a while yet. sloppy trail season around here right now.

fit feels better than the preston so far.

IMO, the preston isn't overhyped or anything. it's a fine frame, just wasn't the right setup for me. still hoping that swd racing makes a recovery after steve's death and i can get my custom frame done with them!

15" seat tube 22.5" top tube. 43" wheelbase. 16.5" stays. 5.5" single pivot travel. 66* head angle built around a 160mm fork. 14" bb height (unsagged) 70* seat tube. 4.5" headtube. low, low, low dropped and braced to the seat tube top tube. zip tie cable/hose guides, iscg 05 mount, one set of bottle bosses on the downtube (think night riding - battery mount) and a chain hanger just because i can. having the forward shock mount setup so that a bullit style shock shuttle could be used to really tweak things wouldn't be a bad idea either.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
im guessing the shuttle is to allow using a slightly shorter shock, right? if so what size does it allow?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
The shuttle allows the use of different length and stroke shocks in various combinations to raise or lower the bike while at the same time affecting the head angle and such. If you're a tinkerer who likes to experiment with your frame geometry or suspension characteristics, an adjustable shuttle system like the older Bullit has is an excellent tool. I'm disappointed that SC dropped this feature from the newer Bullit. It was a simple and effective device.

·
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TNC said:
The shuttle allows the use of different length and stroke shocks in various combinations to raise or lower the bike while at the same time affecting the head angle and such. If you're a tinkerer who likes to experiment with your frame geometry or suspension characteristics, an adjustable shuttle system like the older Bullit has is an excellent tool. I'm disappointed that SC dropped this feature from the newer Bullit. It was a simple and effective device.
exactly. mocking things up in the workstand today, i may not need the shuttle for the 7.875 x 2.25 shock. looks like it'll just barely clear the tire at full compression - got to try it for sure. obviously the 8.5 x 2.5 is a go. think i'll have to tryit both ways, and whichever is least fun will end up being the backup shock. the numbers look good to me either way, but we'll have to see how it feels on dirt.

·
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
All done up. Fit/feels much better than the Preston, based on about two hours of trail time this morning, fine tuning/tweaking things.

14" bb height with the shorter shock, giving me 6.3" rear travel. Head angle is sitting between 66-67*, leaning more towards the 66* end. No idea on weight - 34-35# estimate.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
scrublover said:
All done up. Fit/feels much better than the Preston, based on about two hours of trail time this morning, fine tuning/tweaking things.
OK wait. I haven't been paying attention. You sold your Preston? We're totally not friends anymore.

So maybe you should have just held on to the Weyless, huh?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts