Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my accident this week (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=154267), I am trying to figure out how to successfully "dress my body for the fall". Any good ideas how to do this if you are an aerobic trail rider that happens to enjoy rough singletrack and the occasional drop?

So far, I have been riding an XC helmet and sometimes knee/elbow pads, but this does nothing for my jaws or torso - both of which recieved pretty strong blows this week.

I have been scanning the web, and it pretty much seems like XC stuff (nothing except a lightweight helmet) vs. freeride/downhill stuff (heavy, hot, moto-style helmets and full body armor, not really something you can ride at length with aerobically)...

Any recommendations for trail worthy helmets that also cover the face, and trail worth protection for the torso itself (in addition to knee/elbow protection)?

Thanks!
Tal

·
Registered
262 Posts

I would highly recomend the MET Parachute helmet - it does not give you the protection of a proper full face but it should be good for protecting the chin/cheek area. The mouthguard can be easily removed using a coin and stacked in the backpack for thoose long ascends.

I wear it when I decide to ride a more technical trail and it is very good - good ventilation for my summer !!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The Specialized Deviant is a light full face with pretty damn impressive ventilation. Oddly, the carbon (way expensive at about $250) is heavier than the fiberglass version (way cheaper at about $130). If you have a good Spec dealer nearby, go and try one on. You cannot remove the chin piece, so it does not go full xc, but at about 31 oz it isn't bad. (For comparison, an E2 is about 11 oz).

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
I've often thought about getting a full face helmet, but the reality of summertime in michigan, w/ 1,000% humidity w/ 95 deg. temps makes that option unbearable - but, I bet one of those MET helmets would be tolerable in those conditions....I wonder how difficult it would be to grey market import one of those...?

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
what is that costume, a Jack Daniels bottle?

++++++++++++++++++

for XC riding protection -- meaning, armor that you can wear on longer pedaling-intensive rides and not get overheated or chafed by retention straps -- I think you can't beat Core Rat.

there are a few companies that make padded shorts. I have some from RockGardn. when I'm going to ride in super-rocky terrain where nasty hip pointers etc can occur, I wear lycra shorts as base layer, the padded shorts over top, and then baggies over the padded shorts. the padded shorts are very breathable, not like another layer of lycra.

full face helmets are more protective, but I've never seen one that is ventilated enough to wear on a long ride.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
So first off, I look at armor just like bikes. If you can afford it, (and armor is pretty cheap), it's really nice to have a light set for XC and a heavier duty set for rides where you really do stand a good chance of crashing.

I've got a MET parachute, I'm really happy with it- with the face guard on, it's really no warmer than my old bell XC helmet. The quality of the MET is really good. It's not a ton of protection, but it's perfect for the typical tech-XC rides we do that involve a few stunts & jumps. Taking the chin guard off is a :30 job but I'm planning on leaving it on unless we are riding pure XC. The MET is a nice compliment for my XC pads, the cheaper FOX standard ones. I can basically fit all this stuff inside my pack, it weighs less than 2lbs total and I can even climb with it on comfortabley. I wouldn't trust this gear for any serious crasjing though.

For heavy flow days, its the 661 full face and roach DH arm & leg pads. Good luck riding XC with this stuff, as a matter of fact it's not even comfortable to just stand around in. But, I've come out of some pretty serious crashes totally unscathed with this stuff- check my whistler vid for instance.

So I guess it depends on yoru riding style & terrain. The MET and roach FR pads would be a nice in-between set-up. You can't go wrong with roach!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Compromises, compromises...

tald said:
I am trying to figure out how to successfully "dress my body for the fall". Any good ideas how to do this if you are an aerobic trail rider that happens to enjoy rough singletrack and the occasional drop
Forearm protectors. I like the RockGrdn 2X4's 'cause they don't slip or chafe. Cheap too. Use these in conjunction with one of the new 2006 vented, and light, full-face helmets, such as the Specialized Deviant. Throw in a Camelbak, properly cinched down and packed with water and tubes etc....and you're good to go.

When its time to crash, try and break your fall with your forearm NOT your hands. This takes a concious effort but makes for relatively soft landings. Two of my buddies were out of action for months because they put their hands out and crushed/broke bones in their wrists.

Tucking and rolling gives the Camelbak an opportunity to take some of the hurt out of the crash and protects your spine. You'd be amazed at how strong those reservoirs are!

Do all of this and you'll protect your head, spine and hands. In other words, the important parts. As for separated shoulders, torn muscles and so on...well, like I said "compromises, compromises".

·
It's a Turner!
528 Posts
You sure that's the 2006 model?

What about the Vigor Vamoose II Carbon? I think it's around 35oz and $140.

tscheezy said:
The Specialized Deviant is a light full face with pretty damn impressive ventilation. Oddly, the carbon (way expensive at about $250) is heavier than the fiberglass version (way cheaper at about $130). If you have a good Spec dealer nearby, go and try one on. You cannot remove the chin piece, so it does not go full xc, but at about 31 oz it isn't bad. (For comparison, an E2 is about 11 oz).

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.