Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a college student here in chicago studying for finals brings many feeling such as stress and panic. However for me it also. this feeling is of freedom from life for about 3 months. With two weeks of school to go I find myself thinking more and more about my summer of racing and just riding. I day dream of the road riding to and from work where i sit on a beach as a lifeguard on lake huron or just getting off my road bike from work to eat dinner and head out to the trails for an evening ride. in all this thought i find something magical like a great excitment yet an inner peace that makes me forget about exams for a few minutes.
i also have restlesness since i have been saving and building as i go on my new salsa which i finished completly how i wanted to spec on friday. it has never seen single track.

anyway i just thought i would share this in the hopes that other riders feel the same way wether they are students of desk jockeys as i will be one day.

Ride and Smile

Attachments

·
Professional Nerd
298 Posts
amen my friend...

I am 3 weeks away from finishing my 4th year in Mechanical Engineering at Kansas State University. My new frame (Giant VT) will be arriving tomorrow and will be built up this week. Just in time for summer, but unfortunately...also just in time for finals. Deffinately not a needed distraction. Once built, it will be put in storage at my girlfriends house until summer to keep my temptations at bay.

Things are getting super hectic for me, as I have been spending (on average) 12 hours a day in the engineering building, 6 days a week. Every minute I am here working, my mind is wandering and dreaming of riding endless amounts of twisty singletrack in 80* weather.

Goodluck with your next two weeks, and cheers to summer!

-Danimal

·
Penis Goat!
806 Posts
I'm graduating in two weeks. I haven't done a single productive thing this weekend. I only have one final to study for. I could not take it and make a C in the class. I'm actually considering that. Life is great!

BTW, I hope both of you all either have or will get a coop or internship.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Well, I'm not graduating, but I have 2 weeks then finals, so I have ran out of time to try to get my grades up so I'm not on academic probation anymore. It'll be the start of my 5th semester, but I'll finally be a sophomore credit-wise!!!!! Hells yea. Don't fail classes, btw. i can't wait to be done, cause after finals is Moab, then going home to get on my bike and not get off until I have to go to class again. Or maybe work, to pay off all my credit card debt accumulated over the semester from my damn bike.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Please refrain from posting things this aggravating...

Just kidding...

That sounds great. I remember those summers fondly. As someone looking back from the "bad" side of 40 all I can say is enjoy it. While I still get to ride its a good week when I throw my leg over a bike more than twice. My rides are jammed between housework, yard work, work work and ferrying the kids about.

Enjoy!
John

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Jisch said:
Just kidding...

That sounds great. I remember those summers fondly. As someone looking back from the "bad" side of 40 all I can say is enjoy it. While I still get to ride its a good week when I throw my leg over a bike more than twice. My rides are jammed between housework, yard work, work work and ferrying the kids about.

Enjoy!
John
I've been out for about three yrs now and thought I'd have more time to ride and a nice paycheck to support my habit. At first I did, but then I got together with my money sucker, er...I mean my GF. :rolleyes: "I love her though" Then I bought a house. :D Spent this weekend painting and I'm still not done. :( I told the GF that I'm just gonna have to decate one day a weekend 'till it's done. I spent Sunday not doing a blasted thing because I've been painting since Thur and working the other evenings at the LBS so with rain this weekend I just vegged. Then I've got a few other little projects around the house I need to do. Rising gas cost don't help the pocket book either when it comes to riding. Had envisioned going back "home" (West Virginia) every other weekend to ride. Now I think I'll be lucky to get back there 3 or 4 times this year. But Patapaco, Gambrils is not too far so that works from me. On the plus side though, being able to afford my own home is great and I'll be able to by the latest "dream bike" I'm wanting this year. :D My newest mt. bike is 5 yrs old now. GOD, has it been that long already!?!?!?! :confused: Seems like just yesterday that I was taking her on the maiden voyage.

Congrats on getting through. It'll be worth it.

·
My pants are smart.
183 Posts
last semister of my masters - so freaggin excited. two weeks, two finals, and i am out. with work and a masters, its been hard to get a lot of time in on the bike.

but then there's that damn cpa exam...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am also doing mechanical engineering and it is the end of my fourth year. this semester seems to be one of the worst. thermo 2, heat transfer, numerical methods and manufacturing processes and principals makes my life of biking more and more in my thoughts than in the saddle

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Enjoy it while you can....

chirider990 said:
As a college student here in chicago studying for finals brings many feeling such as stress and panic. However for me it also. this feeling is of freedom from life for about 3 months. With two weeks of school to go I find myself thinking more and more about my summer of racing and just riding. I day dream of the road riding to and from work where i sit on a beach as a lifeguard on lake huron or just getting off my road bike from work to eat dinner and head out to the trails for an evening ride. in all this thought i find something magical like a great excitment yet an inner peace that makes me forget about exams for a few minutes.
i also have restlesness since i have been saving and building as i go on my new salsa which i finished completly how i wanted to spec on friday. it has never seen single track.

anyway i just thought i would share this in the hopes that other riders feel the same way wether they are students of desk jockeys as i will be one day.

Ride and Smile
really....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I got 3 weeks left...

Then another semester til im done with my masters. Finals are going to suck, 3 classes=2 final papers, 3 in class exams, 1 final problem set, and 2 oral exams...sh**, guess the bikes will be getting dusty over the next few weeks. I remember the beautiful lifeguarding days, you know where you work all summer knowing that if it ever gets too bad, its less than 3 months away from ending...oh and if someone want to offer me an econ/finance related internship that would be great too!!!

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Can't wait to race as well...fortunately, the Virginia weather has been treating me well and allowing me to take my new bike out (less than a month old!) between classes and practice. Last day of classes is May 3rd... and I have a final on that day, the 6th, the 10th, and the 13th. So close, but yet so far away... However, May 14th/15th brings the 12 Hours of Lodi--which for me marks the end of school and the beginning of the summer!

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Just finished (8 hrs ago) my fourth year in Aerospace Engineering. The past week I have done 3 all nighters staring at the computer writing reports and projects. I had to stay up last night to finish the last one, and rewarded myself with ~15 miles of singletrack and it was great. And yeah I slacked off all semester and left everything for the end, oh well I'm lazy.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
i remember it well...

dompedro3 said:
Then another semester til im done with my masters. Finals are going to suck, 3 classes=2 final papers, 3 in class exams, 1 final problem set, and 2 oral exams...sh**, guess the bikes will be getting dusty over the next few weeks. I remember the beautiful lifeguarding days, you know where you work all summer knowing that if it ever gets too bad, its less than 3 months away from ending...oh and if someone want to offer me an econ/finance related internship that would be great too!!!
Studying at the beach on weekday afternnons..aaahhhhh. ha, orals used to scare the shlt outta me when i was in school. Now however speaking before people and making sense comes real easy. So its not all that bad a skill to learn.

You might try finding a city, county or state agency that offers econ/finance interships. They are there you just have to find um. Also if it works out well they usually offer you a job. Its a pretty good gig.

·
Old Enough to Know Better
158 Posts
Some of us profs too!

Some of us profs are just as anxious for the semester to end as any student! All that extra time in good weather to get out and ride! It can't happen too soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ahh, I hear you! This is my finals week at U.Pitt in grad school. I graduate on Sunday with a gradudate degree in Telecom Engineering. Four years undergrad, then 3 of grad and working fulltime has drained me. All I can think about this week is hoping on my Orbea road bike and getting started on building my new Orbea MTB. I have the frame...I just need to start buying the parts and putting it together before my trip to Moab in July.

·
Registered
73 Posts
4 weeks...

A bit later than most of you, but 4 weeks until I have finals.

At the end of my junior year doing computer science. Currently in a co-op that works really well.

12 units + work is about right, especially with doing 300/400 level classes this semester.

Last two semesters will be a semester's worth of 300/400 again, then 100/200's that are all general education. Ah, a 123 unit major with... 12 units that they had me take that don't count towards anything.

Can't wait to get out of school. Out out though, not just this summer. :)

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ugh I just had the day from hell, turned in a pset at 8AM, turned in a paper at 12:30PM and then another paper at 2PM. At least I'm pretty much done until finals which start 5/12 :eek:.

I dunno if I can do two more years of this stuff, have to take summer school this summer as well, at least the weather will be nice in Berkeley and I can get a lot of riding in. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.