Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I race some XC, and currently have a Sniper. It’s a fun bike, but the ride and feel of my Ripmo and older Ripley LS are much better. I’d love Ibis to make a “Ripley XC” or similar, 100mm travel “down country” bike. Light, stiff, modern geometry, race-ready but fun. I know a Ripley can be raced, but this bike could be raced BETTER.

(FWIW the Sniper frame/shock is about a pound lighter than the Ripley in the same size, from what I can gather. My XL Sniper frame with shock was 5lbs.)

Further dreaming: Take the Ripley front triangle, re-jigger the links to reduce travel and make it a bit more efficient, perhaps with a new rear triangle too. Since you don’t need to cut a new front triangle mold, spend that $$ on fancy magnesium links and ti hardware, maybe adjust layup to optimize lightness. Spec with a shorter, digressive-tune shock and 120mm stepcast 34 fork. I’d buy the HELL out of that bike...

·
Registered
710 Posts
They could take my money. I've been waiting a LONG time for ibis to fill that niche. Now Pivot comes out with the Mach 4SL and it is pretty much that bike I've been waiting for, so I may reluctantly have to betray my ibis loyalty.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They could take my money. I've been waiting a LONG time for ibis to fill that niche. Now Pivot comes out with the Mach 4SL and it is pretty much that bike I've been waiting for, so I may reluctantly have to betray my ibis loyalty.
Yeah, similar thoughts. Love Ibis CS, build quality and reliability. Threaded BB doesn't hurt my feelings any either.

I can understand how making a twitchy world cup race bike was not a priority for Ibis. But perhaps with the "down country" theme of race-ready bikes that are actually fun and capable, Ibis will get on board.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exactly my thoughts. I would sell my HT Carbon frame for the Mach4SL. Absolutely stunning. Similar bike is the BMC Fourstroke from Swiss

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like an SB100
Certainly a similar niche. But the SB100 has the kludgy "switch infinity" thing and has been the subject of endless issues with hardware loosening, multiple on-the-fly updates etc. Check the Yeti forum.

Sniper is also in this category, and also has had issues with loosening bearings. I like mine but it does seem to sacrifice stiffness/durability for ultimate lightness.

Mach4SL seems pretty good, but still ain't an Ibis! (Also no fan of BB92 bottom bracket...)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Couldn't wait for an Ibis XC bike, so I bought an SB100. Build quality was not close to Ibis or Pivot. The "updated" SI link was flexy (I've NEVER felt a bike flex before this one), I changed it to the original SI (the one before the upgrade) and it creaked like hell, just like all the reports. Sold it ASAP and ordered a Mach 4SL. Wish it was an Ibis though. If they come out with something similar, I'll sell the Pivot and get it the Ibis. ;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Couldn't wait for an Ibis XC bike, so I bought an SB100. Build quality was not close to Ibis or Pivot. The "updated" SI link was flexy (I've NEVER felt a bike flex before this one), I changed it to the original SI (the one before the upgrade) and it creaked like hell, just like all the reports. Sold it ASAP and ordered a Mach 4SL. Wish it was an Ibis though. If they come out with something similar, I'll sell the Pivot and get it the Ibis. ;)

Not to be a Yeti bashfest, but this is EXACTLY what I encountered with my experience with the SB100:
https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/tested-yeti-sb100-bike-loved/

·
Registered
710 Posts
Most of the other options have their issues. The Blur is pretty solid, but there have been loose shock issues. People seem to gut their Oiz and replace nearly everything, including the rear shock. The Lux is hard to get and the specs turn many off (though Gripshift and 720mm bars don't scare me off). Treks are Treks...same with Specialized. The Mach 4SL is sweet, but pricey.

I don't blame ibis for releasing the Ripley and they will do well by it, but I was sad to see it wasn't a Mojley SL, or whatever they would call it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am pretty sure they have something in the pipeline for the near future as their range of products is actually well sorted and all the major bikes got an complete overhaul in the last 2 years (only exception is Mojo-Family).

Looking forward to see a 90/100mm DW-Link insane fast XC-Fully in the next 2 years. Maybe it is the upcoming model made and laminated in USA?

You can already book a day-one-order by me, Ibis!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Still seems like an odd choice. They need to update the M3 and HD4. An XX bike just seems out of place for ibis but maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I am. I'd get one to replace my V1 Rip.
I know why you say that it seems like an odd choice, but it makes sense too. They play in every mtb niche except fs xc and full blown downhill. ibis tends to have bikes that work well all around. Arguably every one of their current offerings could be used as a "trail" bike. A fs xc bike fits into this nicely. Something geared towards light weight, efficiency, and fast climbing. Because of that, I don't see them doing a dedicated downhill rig, but who knows.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hans pretty much confirmed an xc bike is coming in the bikerumor podcast.
If you haven't listened to this podcast its worth your time. And yeah, Hans pretty much lets the cat out of the bag on a short travel XC bike in the interview. Sounds like they are ramping up to build it in house as well. Cool!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you haven't listened to this podcast its worth your time. And yeah, Hans pretty much lets the cat out of the bag on a short travel XC bike in the interview. Sounds like they are ramping up to build it in house as well. Cool!
You mean the short-travel XC-Bike will be the US-Project?

Did he said something about the date?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was at an Ibis Hakka demo event recently and Tom, president of Ibis, did a talk and Q&A after the ride. When pressed a bit about tariffs, carbon built in house, etc. he mentioned they are working on a new bike that will be built in CA. If I recall correctly he said it's about 18-24 months out. I think he also said they bought a new building nearby to build this bike. Putting the pieces of the puzzle together I'm thinking that's the new XC bike.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.