Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you want in a bike for gravel racing, some cx, and road/gravel training and group rides?

I want road style race handling and acceleration with just a little bit more comfort (thinking a steel version of a modern road race bike will be comfortable enough).

I want clearance to run up to 29x2.1s just in case (maybe will scale back a bit)

I want disc tabs to run the road versions of the BB7s

I want a ridiculously light/stiff crankset (with slightly lower than road compact ratios- I think. Probably a mountain crankset or cx specific crankset 36/46?)

I want 12-27 cassette in the rear with 9 or 10 cogs depending on the deals I can find.

I want the option of running SS- should I use an eccentric bottom bracket? Or would I be better off (since it's primarly going to be geared anyways) not messing with that for fear of slipping and/or the reduction in stiffness vs going bb30 or even just traditional? again this is something I don't know a ton about.

how does that sound to you? what would you change? I'm going to have the opportunity to build something along these lines soon.

Also, who makes an off the shelf fork that will fit my needs? I don't know enough about geometry to know exactly what I'm looking for here... I'd like a fork with disc tabs that will allow the rest of the bike to be built around it such that it will feel like a "road race" bike on the road. I find most cx bikes and certainly something like a crosscheck to be far too comfort oriented (even for long long rides). Should I just ditch the idea of the disc brakes? Even then what fork has the clearance I want that is at all applicable. Perhaps the fork will have to be created by the frame builder?

huge thanks to anyone with input- I have a lot of ideas/questions I'd love to here some opinions on up there

·
Registered
47 Posts
My attempt at the same mission was a Salsa Mamasita with White Bros carbon fork, disc brakes and drop bars with road levers. However, I found it was a jack of all trades, master of none. And I never found a situation where I wanted tires as wide as 2.1. I ended up building a Jamis Supernova for cx, road training and gravel expeditions. I have found that the cross frame with road wheels/tires is good enough for group rides and with 34c tubulars it is good enough at cx/gravel.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Buddy is building a Lightspeed Ti frame up, he will is going Dura Ace, with Fulcrum rear wheel, and cantibrakes...

He is going with a Carbon front fork Fulcrum wheel, with Vee Brakes, and a Carbon Fork with Disc brake, BB7s, and a Mavic Speedcity front, for off road, and winter.

·
I need a new name
906 Posts
I was thinking about the same type bike today. I found the Lynskey Pro29 to fit the image of what I think will do the job nicely. It has disc tabs and sliding dropouts for SS or geared use. I'm not sure about road race acceleration or handling. For the fork I'd look at one of the carbon fiber options. My thought was to get a TT length comparable to what I'd get on a road bike and put some WTB Mountain dropbars on it. Component group will be a mix of road and mtn parts.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Carbon seat and chain stays...

take a lil of the edge off.

2silent said:
What would you want in a bike for gravel racing, some cx, and road/gravel training and group rides?

I want road style race handling and acceleration with just a little bit more comfort (thinking a steel version of a modern road race bike will be comfortable enough).

I want clearance to run up to 29x2.1s just in case (maybe will scale back a bit)

I want a ridiculously light/stiff crankset (with slightly lower than road compact ratios- I think. Probably a mountain crankset or cx specific crankset 36/46?)

I want 12-27 cassette in the rear with 9 or 10 cogs depending on the deals I can find.

I want the option of running SS- should I use an eccentric bottom bracket? Or would I be better off (since it's primarly going to be geared anyways) not messing with that for fear of slipping and/or the reduction in stiffness vs going bb30 or even just traditional? again this is something I don't know a ton about.

how does that sound to you? what would you change? I'm going to have the opportunity to build something along these lines soon.

Also, who makes an off the shelf fork that will fit my needs? I don't know enough about geometry to know exactly what I'm looking for here... I'd like a fork with disc tabs that will allow the rest of the bike to be built around it such that it will feel like a "road race" bike on the road. I find most cx bikes and certainly something like a crosscheck to be far too comfort oriented (even for long long rides). Should I just ditch the idea of the disc brakes? Even then what fork has the clearance I want that is at all applicable. Perhaps the fork will have to be created by the frame builder?

huge thanks to anyone with input- I have a lot of ideas/questions I'd love to here some opinions on up there

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
2silent said:

Hey Drew,

The Gary Fisher Presido would line up with a lot of your wants.

Should be comfy, can't say how it handles.

Good to 1.8's

Nope.

Um, it has the BB90 BB shell. This helps stiffen things up a lot.

12-27 cassette, 10 spd.

I want the option of running SS- should I use an eccentric bottom bracket?
Sliding drops, so yes.

Or would I be better off (since it's primarly going to be geared anyways) not messing with that for fear of slipping and/or the reduction in stiffness vs going bb30 or even just traditional?

The BB30 creates a stiffer cranks, but barely. The BB90 creates a stiffer frame, more substantial.

Just for the record this is the cross bike I will be getting here soon. I have ridden/raced a cross bike on the road without problem. AND, I am selling my Trek XO-2 if interested...

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Logantri said:
FYI, I would not want disks. All the BB7 road set ups I have seen never seemed to feel all the great. Also, it adds a fair amount of weight to a bike that you want to be road ride/race able.
Disagree on all accounts. I semi taco'd a wheel at Iron CX this year and was still able to complete the race (crashed at mile 15 of 62). If I were on canti's my day would have been over. In that same race, I saw many guys have braking issues with their cantis on the descents reaching 40+ MPH on dirt roads. For those two reasons, amongst others, I would never stick cantis on any kind of gravel grinding/single track/road bike.

My disc equipped La Cruz is just as happy on the weekly "A" road ride as it is tackling light single track with the mountain bikers. (I've done both in the same day)

The only bike I would ever replace my La Cruz with is a titanium La Cruz.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking back at last year (my first year of any of this stuff btw) there were certainly a few times I got into situations where the discs would have been very helpful. Another reason for me is that I can, at least initially, use my $$ salsa/hope 29er wheelset rather than having to build up something else. I will look into weight a bit more and try to find a bike to ride with them on it.

Any thoughts on the Winwood fork?

·
Cheesiest
1,613 Posts
2silent said:
Looking back at last year (my first year of any of this stuff btw) there were certainly a few times I got into situations where the discs would have been very helpful. Another reason for me is that I can, at least initially, use my $$ salsa/hope 29er wheelset rather than having to build up something else. I will look into weight a bit more and try to find a bike to ride with them on it.

Any thoughts on the Winwood fork?
I third the disc idea! I have Shimano Br-505s and my wife has bb7 roads and they're both better than rim brakes. FTR, we are in Seattle.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts