Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things that keeps me interested in pursuing this silly hobby is that it is actually possible to have representative samples of most of the VRC one lusts after without being a Fortune 500 CEO. As many of us have come to realize, it's not always about top dollar - more often than not it's about being in the right place at the right time and saying yes.

So, in the spirit of Santa-lists and all, if you could ADD five dream VRC bikes to your stable, what would they be and why?

I'll start:

5. Early 90's Rock Lobster single-speed. I. Want. One. Totally irrational, totally don't care.

4. 1988 Fat Chance. Spumoni. Box crown. Partial to Fats, always have been and I've had at least one since 1989.

3. 1985/86 Ritchey Annapurna. The first mountain bike I ever saw that "stepped it up a notch" was the Ritchey Commando at Duke's cycle in Toronto back in the day. A Commando, a Super Comp or, really, any filet-brazed Ritchey from this era would do just fine.

2. A fully WTB-kitted Potts CCR. Anyone who's actually seen one and doesn't want one isn't quite right in my books.

1. 1988 Rocky Mountain Wedge. The first mountain bike I ever saw that said "screw this utilitarian crap, I'm about the sexy". Double U-brakes, super sloping top-tube. I don't know who made them - Bailey or Brodie or Truelove or whoever - but man oh man that is the ne plus ultra of my list as a Canadian bike shop guy from the 80's-90's who grew up with mountain bikes.

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
5.1992 Kona Explosif Pro, black on black on black. Always wanted, never come close to owning.
4.Any year red/white/blue Ritchey P-series. Explanation unnecessary.
3.Purple anodized GT Zaskar, full m900, gold Rock Shox : buh-ling
2.1991 Zolatone grey/fluoro orange Marin Pine Mountain. A little piece of Norcal to call my own.
1.Ti Phoenix, see # 4 for explanation.

·
artistic...
7,620 Posts
Early salsa ala carte.

96/97 Ibis mojo

Potts ccr (and i would exclude everything else if i got one in a shade of maroon)

wtb phoenix

fillet brazed ritchey, slightly older than P series.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
1. 92 Specialized Stumpjumper Any color
2. mid 90's GT Zaskar polished finish (I lusted after those)
3. Cannondale Beast of the East (any year,Color,ect)
4. Canondale Raven (Raw Carbon) not so VRC.....
5. 86 Lee World Mountain Sport (First Mtn Bike)

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
1. Cunningham Indian or Racer.
2. Early Ibis Custom with drops and WTB RC's
3. Off Road Toad
4. Klein Attitude in g/p/w
5. Yeti ARC in turq/gray with ano purple.

I can't say my list needs much explanation. I have everything else I want already.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
3.Purple anodized GT Zaskar, full m900, gold Rock Shox : buh-ling

Have one that I may be willing to part with.

For me an:
Original GT Cyclone...very few were built that first year
Apex's old GT Psyclone in Team Scream

·
Registered
554 Posts
I second the RM Wedge. Like to add a Ti-Bolt too.

Maybe I'd ask for something simple for the sake of sentiment. I really miss my 1980 BMX. No idea what brand it was since I bought from the cop shop and my best friend's dad who was a car painter, painted it for me. Charcoal frame, lots of chrome and glossy black "mag wheels" (originally yellow, painted gloss black). This was the first bike I cutomized and thrashed until I snapped the steerer but never noticed until that final jump. :eekster: It sat in my parents garage for years until my dad tossed it out without telling me. Seems corny but I know what landfill it lays in and every once in a while I think about it when I drive by.

·
Sneaker man
3,657 Posts
1 Tomac Raleigh
2 GT Xizang
3 Klein attititude, linear horizon
4 fat chance you eddy
5 Ritchey P bike (always wanted a 23, but 22 or 21 will do)... or a Nuke Proof Ti... (OK both)

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Not in order of want, but:

1. Mantis X frame (basically exactly like Bushpig's current BOTM entry)
(alternatively, the multi-colored stripe frame at First Flight with a more understated build)
2. +/- 1990 Salsa a la Carte in white jelly bean
3. +/- 1990 Goat WTR in team orange+green
4. Grove Assault with all the trimmings in some god-awful neon color
5. something like the original Breezers with the extra lateral tubes. Even a modern remake would be awesome.

I guess I like steel bikes with loud paint and/or extra tubing. If I could add a sixth, I'd like to second the love for spumoni Fats. I'd really love a Yo in that livery with a five color segmented fork.

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
5. GT 1981 26" cruiser
4. Manitou Non-answer non suspended.
3. IRD cross country racer. Have a semi stroker available, but they are a bit to weird riding. But if i get the other five who knows.
2. Ritchey Super Comp. I have one in my sights in my size too, but the original fork and stem was switched out to some IRD stuff. Will let this one dangle a bit. Hopefully the original bits get found or i find another SC in my size.
1. Ritchey Annapurna. Have this one with in arms length. Been working this one for a few years now. Has original fillet bullmoose bars and fillet stem. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh man I thought I had everything I really wanted but after putting a little thought in to it...not even close!

In no particular order:

Early Mountain Cycle with the big disc brakes and upside down fork. I remember seeing a guy for a few years during the early 90's at the big Laguna Seca Superbike and GP races. At the time it was so crazy and cutting edge looking it really made an impact.

Cunningham...any. I don't think that anyone has to explain wanting one of these.

My buddy Jim's full WTB spec Merlin. Haven't seen him for a while I wonder if he still has it?? Actually any late 80's Ti bike would be cool. I've always wanted a titanium machine ever since I was a kid looking at the BEAR racing table during the Moffet BMX races. At the time all the TI stuff was for the little guys. By the time they made it for the big boys I had to pay for it myself and that wasn't going to be a possibility for a few years!

American built aluminum Breezer. The owner of Velomeister had one with a Browning system on it. Pretty trick stuff to a high school kid.

Victor Vicente of America Topanga 20" wheeled mountain bike. The bike and it's creator represent everything that I find cool about American built and designed bicycles.

I think that if I could only have one it would have to be the VVA. Something tells me there will be a Breezer and Mountain Cycle in the stable long before I find one though.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Huh, for a minute there I thought this would be a thread about a car show with Tom Hnatiw

I'm kind of done trying to dig up vintage rides, but maybe if an IRD Stroker was in the right place at the right time in the right size.

Or a Nevil Devil, if they aren't all broken

Or Rhygin Juke SS, same as above.

Or a very specific 1988 Annapurna that a coworker had built with 130mm spacing front and rear so he could roll on two rear wheels with different gear sets. Even though it doesn't fit me it was a really neat bike.

Or an ORT

·
Relax. I'm a pro.
1,466 Posts
Tinker Juarez's Klein Attitude (or was it an Adroit) in purple nightstorm paint and load of Grafton parts

Chuck Texeira's Yeti ARC with modified purple ano'd Chris King headset

Salsa a la Carte, black with red, green, yellow splashes. Don't know what they called this paint scheme

Any Rock Lobster singlespeed with those b!tchin' wavy gussets

Fat Chance Yo Eddy

WTB Phoenix

Curtlo painted orange with blue ano'd Paul parts, like the old Outer Circle Racing team used to run

Ibis Ti Mojo

Libor Karas' Cannondale stock trials bike

Mountaincycle San Andreas like the one Jake Watson used to race

·
Bird watcher
878 Posts
Yeah tell me about it. I have the bars waiting for a matching frame and fork. The 26 cruisers were only added as filler though. In all reality if i get the Annapurna. I'm done. Unless other 200$ vintage bikes fall in my lap. The Anna is al the cruiser i need. Well that and the Cooks. Oh and the GHP. oh and the....

mechagouki said:
That nearly made my list too, recent prices make it an increasingly unlikely proposition.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Cook's Cruiser
Very early Ritchey in decent shape
80's SuperComp Red And White
A Merlin that fits
And for whatever reason, lately I have wanted a Plexus to put together as a rider.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a thing for midwest builders. This list will reflect that.

1. Early 90's Nuke Proof Ti. Always wanted to do a Julia Ingersol replica. See Rumpfy's "Inside the Pro's Bikes" thread for build.

2. Cherry Cycles Cherry Bomb. Super small builder out of Indiana who used to have ads in the back of MTB mags back in the day. Really nice frames. Build would be full XC Pro with Control Tech stem/post and Mag 21 SL Ti.

3. Wisconsin Built Paramount. Probably XC Pro with lots of Ritchey trim. Preferably with the super obnoxious paint job.

4. American ? (still haven't decided which frame I like best). The only non-Cunningham aluminum bike I think I would want. I wouldn't feel bad riding an American though, hence the higher spot on the wish list.

5. I really love to have another chance with the mid-90's Ibis Mojo I picked up last year for $200 and then sold to pay for my study abroad in Egypt. Build would be circa 94 team build with Hugi hubs, Mag 21 SL Ti, Contol Tech post, Ibis Ti stem and bars, Sachs New Success derailleurs, and Conti tires (with those sexy dark brown sidewalls).

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.