Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I may be dreaming, but I really want to see more girls under 15 get into Mountain biking. partly because I want girls to be with at the races but partly because many of them do not understand what is available. nobody promotes it.
So with my parents help and a coach (that I hope will stay on next year) I am trying to do something about it.

Take a look at www.xtremepink.com this is my dream....please play around with it a bit as my dad is managing the web site and wants me to test it out and make sure it works and give me feedback about my idea and the site and where I can go from here, the name everything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Xtreme_Pink_Racing said:
Ok I may be dreaming, but I really want to see more girls under 15 get into Mountain biking. partly because I want girls to be with at the races but partly because many of them do not understand what is available. nobody promotes it.
So with my parents help and a coach (that I hope will stay on next year) I am trying to do something about it.

Take a look at www.xtremepink.com this is my dream....please play around with it a bit as my dad is managing the web site and wants me to test it out and make sure it works and give me feedback about my idea and the site and where I can go from here, the name everything.
Pink,

There is a big movement here in the desert for Jr athletes. Take a look:
http://www.teamnova.org/

·
Registered
151 Posts
awesome

I think it's great. I wish I had been into something like that when I was 12. Instead, I started mtbing when I was 26. When I have kids- girls or boys- they'll be on a bike (and skis, etc.) as soon as they are physically able ;)

·
Registered
789 Posts
That's great XPR, I wish you the best. Cudos to you and your father.

For whatever it's worth I will put a link (or two) on my webpage in hopes that some more people find your site.

Have you considered asking Michelle at the Fly Gulz about some cross promotion?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Dad has spoken to Michelle many times. In fact he asked Michelle to start a JR development program under the Flygurlz name. We ride out of Hardwood and Collingwood right now so michelee would have been a perfect fit.
Michele is busy with other directions for the team right now and was unable to take it on but has agreed to look at clinics and stuff next year.

Talking about FlyGurlz we stopped in Tim Horton's in Bracebridge today after teh o-cup race and tehre was a group of 4 or 5 of them all in line behind us. I wanted to jump up and down screaming I ride too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Xtreme_Pink_Racing said:

Thats awsome. Good job on setting up that organization. I think it is far more important to encourage young women in that age bracket to take part in athletics than it is for boys. Society naturally leads boys into sports. Whereas the reverse tends to be true for girls. That is a shame because it has been proven that pre-teen girls who get involved with sports have higher self-esteem and are far less likely, later in life, to end up with teen-pregnancy or in abusive relationships. Those very early teen years in a young girls life are indeed the most critical in determining the future path their life takes.

Here is another organization that is run by a woman who agrees with everything I just said.
Girls On The Run

·
Registered
922 Posts
What a great start to your program. Best wishes in making it grow.

I'll second Team Ritchey Nova as a good model. They started out here in Texas several years ago and have grown into the premeir Juniors Program with team members getting lots of poduim time in Texas and at the Nationals. The best part of thier program is how they have gotten sponsorship support. Both product and cash.

Another key to this development is to make sure the race promoters in your area are providing age appopriate time/distance races and ample catagories. It's hard but you may have to nag to get it. Here we have a TON of Juniors catagories to allow for a good race for all level of juniors; The 15 yo who has raced for years as well as the 15 yo who shows up for their first race. We have 16 juniors classes. This is a huge deal in keeping juniors; compitition at every level that progresses. Our 0-10 and 11-12 beginner racers usually race a 1/4 and/or 1/2 of what the other beginners race. Not some lame flat track or something that takes them an hour.

Here's a link to the over all results you can check the numbers of junior racers http://www.tmbra.org/results/spring_04/overalls/tresults.htm

Five years ago we put this system in place and have seen our junior numbers climb every year since. Now some of our juniors are the best in the country.

Good luck!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.