Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine used to have an old Ritchey P-23 back in the day, so I started googling and came across this beauty:

Can anyone shed some light on this model? What year is it? Does it use a 1" or 1-1'8" steerer? (The SID looks pretty recent). Any idea how I could find one, or should I just wait for eBay?

When was the last year that Ritchey made the P-series bikes?

I'm just drooling...TIA!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Looks like Wolfgang Boschitz' bike. Older frame, all new parts hung on it. Most likely a 98 1" SID with swapped lowers. Bike is probably around a 94 or so. 1" headtube.

Not typically the trend here in the VRC to build a bike that way.

www.oldmountainbikes.com is your #1 resource for Ritchey info. Also take a look at the sticky at the top of this forum. Might have more info for you.

Bikes like this are out there...but not a dime a dozen. You'll have to work to find one. Hound eBay every day. Timing and patience. It took me two years to get my P-23 and missed or lost out on several others before I landed a winner.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rumpfy! Yes, that's Boschitz' bike. He's got some crazy bikes in his arsenal.

Do you know when the last year it was that Ritchey made these bikes? Did any of them have a 1-1/8 headset size?

I did come across oldmountainbikes.com actually. Some good info and pics there.

Care to PM me what you got your P-23 for? ;-)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I think '97 was last year for P-21 but I haven't seen a '98 catalog. Never seen a 1 1/8" headtube on a P-series to date. What size P-21 are you looking for? :ihih:

·
Relax. I'm a pro.
1,466 Posts
What a b!tchin' looking bike. I love it.

I have no use for period-correct builds. I prefer to build a frame that I like with the parts that I like, regardless of era. This usually works out to a classic mid 90s frame with more modern drivetrain, bars, pedals, and maybe a short-travel Fox fork.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want that one! It looks to be a 17 or 18". I _should_ be riding an 18", but I do prefer smaller bikes, so I like 17's if I can find them. I'm also in love with that paint job. But hey, whatchu got? :)

And I agree with Vlad. I like "modernizing" the classics, too.

Found this listing on oldmountainbike.com for a '98 P-20, although it's the only one posted so he may not be correct about the year:

http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/cgi-bin/bikes.cgi?bike=P20 362

kb11 said:
I think '97 was last year for P-21 but I haven't seen a '98 catalog. Never seen a 1 1/8" headtube on a P-series to date. What size P-21 are you looking for? :ihih:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rumpfy said:
...Older frame, all new parts hung on it. Most likely a 98 1" SID with swapped lowers. Bike is probably around a 94 or so. 1" headtube.
What do you mean by "swapped lowers"? Are his lowers newer than '98? Are all SID lowers of the same 28mm stanchions interchangeable with each other? How about with Judy stanchions?

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
Here is mine. I think it is a 1996. Not in as good as shape as the other one posted, but it has all the original WCS goodies. I hope get it re-sprayed in the near future. 1" headtube.

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
bryanus said:
A friend of mine used to have an old Ritchey P-23 back in the day, so I started googling and came across this beauty:

Can anyone shed some light on this model? What year is it? Does it use a 1" or 1-1'8" steerer? (The SID looks pretty recent). Any idea how I could find one, or should I just wait for eBay?

When was the last year that Ritchey made the P-series bikes?

I'm just drooling...TIA!
looks like angles and BB height are srsly altered from using a tall fork. as far as i understand ritcheys are designed w/ long stems in mind. those don't go along well w/ tall front suspension IMHO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
captain8track said:
I have an Judy SL from 98 it has disc fittings as the sid on the picture. P-21's are the **** it should have topmounts for that real worldcup feeling! But I really like the "neo retro" thing, I'm working on that right now myself.
My P-21 is from 94. It also had the black Ritchey sticker on the down tube, after a respray by Ritchey I got a white sticker. But I don't know if you could come back from the sticker to the year it was buld. 1" of course.

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
top_ring said:
That bar angle seems funky. Is that comfortable for you?

Lovely bike.
Thanks
I just noticed that. No, I don't ride it like that. I think I changed something and forgot to straighten the bar. :madman:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How do you tink they do that? By milling down the steerer? Or by cutting away the stanchions and pressing them into a 1" steerer?

How _do_ they press in those stanchions anyway? I'd think they would just crush while being pressed in.

kokies said:
Check with /www.hippiesuspension.com, I think they can convert newer RS forks to 1"

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
bryanus said:
How do you tink they do that? By milling down the steerer? Or by cutting away the stanchions and pressing them into a 1" steerer?

How _do_ they press in those stanchions anyway? I'd think they would just crush while being pressed in.
Some of the early Sid's were available with a 1" steerer.

Also a 1" Judy bolt on crown will fit the SID lowers after the 1 & 1/8" pressed crown has been carefully removed (cut off). Do a search of this thread, there a few regulars who have completed the job.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.