Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gang, from what I see the 29er movement is coming along pretty well in many areas.

But we really don't have a killer fork. Lots of guys seem to think that the Reba is pretty good.

However we really need better if the evolution of our beloved wheels on the trails is to continue. Light free ride 29er bikes will need more travel than 100mm to be accepted.

Based on the fact that you can't have something until you really know what you want, let's get cracking...

What I want in a killer 29er fork:

1) stiff: 32mm tubes or better.
2) lock DOWN for climbing, remote would be nice.
3) anti bob ala TALUS.
4) quick 75-125mm on the trail travel adj. ala U-turn.
5) Marz like durability and smooth action.
6) 20mm axle option to foster freeriding development.
7) aprox. 44-45mm fork offset.
8) reasonable weight ???
9) cost: we will have to get this thing spec'ed by an OEM to keep the price down.

Just think of all the advantages that this fork can offer on the current crop of bikes. Even better, think of the bikes that could be built around such a fork

Let's make this dream a reality, chime in and tell me what I have overlooked & whatever.

Once this is pretty well hashed out here on the board, I'll make sure that the bigger players know what we want. Suggestions for that end please. GF himself is #1 on my list as well as Sherwood at Ventana and Speedgoat also.

29erchico

·
Registered
114 Posts
The fork adjustment knobs should allow for enough clearance under the downtube so there are no possible clearance issues like posted on this forum regarding the Reba....

I practically decided to order the Reba race but then read some probs with the adjustment knob for the floodgate hitting the downtube on some frames.

(P.S. if there is anybody out there with a Reba on a 20" Mooto-X, please let me know if it has the problem mentioned)

Good topic 29erchico, we need more good forks to choose from.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
29erchico said:
.... chime in and tell me what I have overlooked & whatever.

29erchico
I'll chime in. That's all good about the function and features. Ditto on all of that.

While we are at it - how about somebody make a fork or two that are cosmetically attractive? Choice of a few nice colors, ditch the big ugly stickers and put some shazam in the looks department.

Winwood fork = ugly as sin with that block white lettering (other fonts do exist)
REBA = what's up with the lousy sticker scheme REBA (other fonts do exist)
Zokes = ugly stickers and some fairly ugly colors that don't match much of anything
White Brothers = wins the award tor the least cosmetically appealing product I have ever laid eyes on. (good thing they work so well)

Finished chiming.

[email protected]

·
climb
2,293 Posts
BruceBrown said:
White Brothers = wins the award tor the least cosmetically appealing product I have ever laid eyes on. (good thing they work so well)
I actually like the WB look... old-school. There aren't 15 knobs and extra cables coming out of the fork. It look simple, and it is, and it looks great.

How about a nice curved steel fork that fit's disc brakes :D

As for squishy, I think everyone would be very satisfied with a 29.36 Fox...

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
29erchico said:
Ok gang, from what I see the 29er movement is coming along pretty well in many areas.

But we really don't have a killer fork. Lots of guys seem to think that the Reba is pretty good.
I hate to rain on your parade, but there a couple things I would like to point out:

-There is nothing close to a consensus on what the ideal 26" fork is, so why would 29" be any different? You have manufacturers like Fox who give you five different options for a 100mm fork. And then there's Marzocchi, who I bet couldn't even tell you themselves how many different 26" forks they offer.

-I would love to see more 29" forks as much as the next guy, but we have several options and I feel the suspension bikes are the limiting factor at this point. For 26" bikes you have maybe half a dozen main suspension fork manufacturers, but scores of suspension bike manufacturers. At this point it's almost a 1:1 ratio for the big wheels. It's probably hard for fork companies to get too excited about a market that seems dominated by hardtails/rigid bikes.

I'll be the first to agree that there's nothing wrong with making some noise for what you'd like to see (witness my sig.), but I'm just guessing it would be pretty difficult to find one fork that will meet everyone's expectations of the "dream" 29"er fork.

703 Posts
Rigid

FWIW, I like the looks of the WB too.

I had my first real trail ride on my Walt frame/fork today - that rigid fork had my vote (don't even get me started on the frame). Holy crap I felt fast when that thing hooked up in corners and held strong on banked turns. A bit rigid feeling in real rooty downhills, but I was out for the day and running higher pressure than I might normally (42psi front). I was reserving the right to swap that fork out for something squishy, but it's not gonna happen.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
20.100 FR said:
paralelogram, not telescopic.
increasing trail with compression
constant wheelbase.
I'll second that motion. Make it out of Carbon and Magnesium also for perhaps the lightest fork available?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hmmm....

29erchico said:
1) stiff: 32mm tubes or better.
2) lock DOWN for climbing, remote would be nice.
3) anti bob ala TALUS.
4) quick 75-125mm on the trail travel adj. ala U-turn.
5) Marz like durability and smooth action.
6) 20mm axle option to foster freeriding development.
7) aprox. 44-45mm fork offset.
8) reasonable weight ???
9) cost: we will have to get this thing spec'ed by an OEM to keep the price down.
Well, I don't see GF leading the charge in long travel 29erism. I think a 29" Fox 36 with 80-130mm of adjustable travel would be great but there is only one 29er frame out there design to accept >100mm of travel that I'm aware of (Lenz). Also, I think WB has already produced 5" (6" too?) thru axle 29er forks.

I like the industrial appearance of the WB, but I like the price and performance of my Reba Race better - fugly as heck stickers not withstanding (removed the instant I opened the box).

Sean

BTW - TALAS has nothing to do with anti-bob - it's just a travel adjuster.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Fox Talus & Manitou Nixon 29'ers!

Soupboy said:
Well, I don't see GF leading the charge in long travel 29erism. I think a 29" Fox 36 with 80-130mm of adjustable travel would be great but there is only one 29er frame out there design to accept >100mm of travel that I'm aware of (Lenz). Also, I think WB has already produced 5" (6" too?) thru axle 29er forks.

I like the industrial appearance of the WB, but I like the price and performance of my Reba Race better - fugly as heck stickers not withstanding (removed the instant I opened the box).

Sean

BTW - TALAS has nothing to do with anti-bob - it's just a travel adjuster.
I would like to see a frame to match one of these forks! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me started :mad:

SS'ing is my first love but dang just think if..................

·
minister of chaos
312 Posts
I'd like a stiff, lightweight fork with about 50mm of travel. I don't want a lot of knobs cluttering up the design. Quality damping is important, but I don't need knobs that let me change it constantly. Let me change the shim stack and oil height and weight if I want to change the damping. I'd rather set it right once that constantly have to wonder if some jackass came around and fiddled with it slowing down my compression damping by few percent. A lockout would be unneccesary with that liitle travel, as would any stable platform design. The only external control would be valves to pump up the positive and negative air chambers. Without all the superfulous knobs levers and swithches, it should be relatively inexpensive to make. Even with a top notch damper, it should easily come in under $300 and quite easy to make under 3lbs.

In all truth, that is the fork that I want. I know that I will never get it. Why not? The market is too small, and suspension compnies are in the business of convincing us that we need what they are selling, not selling us what we need.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Now- There you go!

Frank Tuesday said:
I'd like a stiff, lightweight fork with about 50mm of travel. I don't want a lot of knobs cluttering up the design. Quality damping is important, but I don't need knobs that let me change it constantly. Let me change the shim stack and oil height and weight if I want to change the damping. I'd rather set it right once that constantly have to wonder if some jackass came around and fiddled with it slowing down my compression damping by few percent. A lockout would be unneccesary with that liitle travel, as would any stable platform design. The only external control would be valves to pump up the positive and negative air chambers. Without all the superfulous knobs levers and swithches, it should be relatively inexpensive to make. Even with a top notch damper, it should easily come in under $300 and quite easy to make under 3lbs.

In all truth, that is the fork that I want. I know that I will never get it. Why not? The market is too small, and suspension compnies are in the business of convincing us that we need what they are selling, not selling us what we need.
I agree, I don't feel the need for long travel either. Ditto on all the crazy "knob" stuff. Besides, I would be willing to bet that 50mm of smooth, properly damped travel would feel an awful lot like 80mm of travel on a kiddie wheeled bike. I just don't think 29 inch "XC" rigs need anything more than that. And whilst I'm at it, I would also add that this amount of travel plays right into Bigwheel's idea for a linkage fork, which I would also LOVE to see!

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
You XC guys already have plenty of choices...let's get the FR going.

I want a 29" version of the Manitou Flick+, RS Pike, Marzocchi Z150, etc. 6" travel with travel adjust/lockout for the uphills and a 20mm thru axle.

And while they're at it, someone needs to make a 2.5" tire. None of this incremental 2.2-2.3 BS...let's see something with real knobs, like a the 2.5" Weirwolf or Timberwolf in a 29".

Imagine how stable a hairball downhill would be with a big front tire on a burly front axle. That's what I'm talking about.

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I would also add that this amount of travel plays right into Bigwheel's idea for a linkage fork, which I would also LOVE to see!
Buy one of those Crosslinks off the ad banner for $150 and have someone fabricate some longer stanchions.

I know an engineer who made a 29er out of a Trek Y-bike years ago by doing this and welding up a new swingarm. This guy was so far ahead of the curve. He still rides it.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forkin' for the future!!

I really would like to see some light freeride 29er bikes made. Call it "all mountain" if you want. That's why I think having the adjustability go above 100mm is a good idea.

But I know for sure that I would like to ride my 293 up to the top of the famous "babys head" section of Pauley Creek trail and dial in more travel than my current Marz MX Pro's offers (105mm) and point that sucker towards Downieville. WAHOOO!!!

I think that a lot of folks are forgetting that one could set up a 130mm fork with lots of sag and have your bike ride no higher than it was designed for. That would have to offer extra plushness on the landing when any air is caught.

I also suspect that for high downhilling speeds having a slightly (10-15mm) longer fork won't turn a nimble handling bike into a truck. Feel free to correct me here!

Possibly 75-125mm is a bit much, so how about 80-120mm?

A lot of why I want this dream fork is that I want the 29er world to evolve.

Viva la evolution!

29erchico

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
29erchico said:
But I know for sure that I would like to ride my 293 up to the top of the famous "babys head" section of Pauley Creek trail and dial in more travel than my current Marz MX Pro's offers (105mm) and point that sucker towards Downieville. WAHOOO!!!
That's *exactly* what I'm talking about.

Torsional stiffness is even more important than travel in the babyheads. I've been up there in a big group and it was pretty clear: anyone with 5" or less and a QR had major problems, but anyone with 6" and a 20mm axle could just point it straight through. I would take 5" and 20mm over 6" and a QR any day.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
29erchico said:
I think that a lot of folks are forgetting that one could set up a 130mm fork with lots of sag and have your bike ride no higher than it was designed for. That would have to offer extra plushness on the landing when any air is caught.
Um, if you're running 42% sag on a 130mm fork (to match the ride height of a 100mm fork with 25% sag), then your spring rate (whether air or coil) is going to be impossibly low and you will bottom out the fork way to easily. If it was that simple then you wouldn't see travel adjust features on so many forks.

At this point in time 5" seems to be the sweet spot for 26" wheels. The sooner we see it for big wheels the better!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.