Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
mosstrooper
153 Posts
Good luck, that’s lighter than most people’s Druid builds
Agreed, and that's part of the reason why the Druid fits in my quiver better than the Dreadnought. It was really hard, on paper, for me to spec out a Dread build that was matched in terms of suspension and wheels to the intentions of the bike without it ballooning into the 35-36lb range, even with a lighter fork (say, 170mm Lyrik or 36) and an air shock. The capability of the bike really demands heavy duty rims (DT Swiss EX-grade or WAO Strife) and legit dual-ply tires (DD or DH casing). Then when I started thinking about the EXT option and potentially a coil conversion in the fork, the on-paper weight grew even more and I couldn't justify that kind of bike as any sort of pedal-able trail/enduro option -- it would be a shuttle/park rig. My Druid build will be ~31-31.5lbs with coil rear, air front, 2.4 Maxxis EXO+ tires, Cushcore XC inserts, and 1750g wheels... and that's about as light as I can imagine going, spec-wise, on a bike that's built the way the Druid is. Weight is less and less an issue these days with the suspension kinematics improving so drastically for pedaling, but it still matters; I can't imagine a 5-6k' pedaling day on a 37lb. bike being much fun.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,445 Posts
Good luck, that’s lighter than most people’s Druid builds
The Sentinel build I had spec'd out was about 30 lbs even on paper. The Dreadnought frame is about 1.5 lbs heavier than the Sentinel and a Fox 38 170mm fork is probably another 0.4-0.5 lbs heavier than the Fox 36 160mm fork. So, the same build should theoretically come out around 32 lbs and change. I guess we'll see :)

On the plus side, I was able to find a barely used 2020 Fox 36 Float 170mm fork :)

Reactions: pinkrobe

·
Registered
633 Posts
Subbing cause im kinda wanting to order one in May when fanatik gets them. Im currently on a banshee prime V3 which is super sick but im wanting to swap the frame out for something different just for comparisons sake. Build would swap nicely; 160mm Zeb ultimate, reserve 30s, etc, but im wondering if maybe i should just get a druid since its 130mm rear...hmm

·
Off the back...
2,265 Posts
Subbing cause im kinda wanting to order one in May when fanatik gets them. Im currently on a banshee prime V3 which is super sick but im wanting to swap the frame out for something different just for comparisons sake. Build would swap nicely; 160mm Zeb ultimate, reserve 30s, etc, but im wondering if maybe i should just get a druid since its 130mm rear...hmm
LOVE the Banshee Prime. That was such a sweet bike. I kinda wish I still had it...

·
Off the back...
2,265 Posts
Picking this up because my brand new Titan V3 was stolen. Got about 25 hours on it. Really liked it but I like trying new things so insurance is getting me a Forbidden.
Oh hell! That sucks, but at least you're getting a new bike...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Picking this up because my brand new Titan V3 was stolen. Got about 25 hours on it. Really liked it but I like trying new things so insurance is getting me a Forbidden.
Thinking of going from a Titan to the Dreadnought too so very interested in what you think when you get it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
New bike itch mainly. To be critical I would like more seat tube insertion and a very slightly shorter chainstay but apart from that it's mainly new bike itch. Titan is a sensational bike.
i get the new bike itch too. I read “slightly shorter chainstay” and got confused, but then i remembered not everyone rides an XL haha. 465mm static is enormous so im not totally sold on the dreadnought

·
Registered
67 Posts
i get the new bike itch too. I read “slightly shorter chainstay” and got confused, but then i remembered not everyone rides an XL haha. 465mm static is enormous so im not totally sold on the dreadnought
Yeah my xl is going to be over a foot wider than my GTI. Should look interesting

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The high Anti-rise is a real shame for this platform. Personally I'm not a fan of AR in general and it's not something you can change.
I would have wanted this category of bike with this suspension design to feel bottomless. But a coil shock will create a significantly different feel.
That said, it's only 1 review by 1 person. It's also the best looking bike I've ever laid eyes upon!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
The high Anti-rise is a real shame for this platform. Personally I'm not a fan of AR in general and it's not something you can change.
I would have wanted this category of bike with this suspension design to feel bottomless. But a coil shock will create a significantly different feel.
That said, it's only 1 review by 1 person. It's also the best looking bike I've ever laid eyes upon!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk
Tired of seeing all these black bikes. Can't wait to see someone post some photos of the nerds in real life

·
Registered
156 Posts
That is a pretty rough review and opposite a lot of the other First Ride impressions out there
The reviews on this bike have been laughable. I have two "very playful's" noted and one "not at all playful" so far, along with one "perhaps the best descending non-DH bike I've ridden" and one "nothing special". My two cents; a "first ride" is not the right venue for a review of this type of bike - it's too different and requires some setup and adjustment. I bet the Dreadnought rips but anyone who owns a Druid can likely speak to the break-in period. In this case, it's not the bike getting broken in - it's you. It DOES take 4-5 rides to adjust to some of the ride characteristics of the bike and make final suspension tweaks. Stuff that's been said like "the bike is hard to manual"... well, if you suck at manuals, then you will suck with them on this bike too, but if you can manual, it might take a few days, but you'll figure it out and be able to manual a Druid. I'm guessing the Dreadnought is the same, only moreso.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts