Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm revving up to order a custom frame for an all-rounder bike, very much modelled on a Salsa Fargo, and I'm tempted to have it spaced for 150mm hubs and an 83mm bottom bracket.

Being an eternal noob, however, there's probably some huge drawback to this that I've overlooked, so please give some feedback.

As far as I can see...

Advantages
- Tougher and stiffer frame and drivetrain
- Dishless rear wheel
- Wider Q-factor

Disadvantages:
- Fewer parts options, and more expensive
- Spares difficult to find when travelling
- Heavier all round

I'm 275lbs before gear, and I want to do some touring, plus I already use Kneesavers, so strength and width are both a big draw for me.

So, is there some glaring deficiency with an 83mm/150mm that I should know about before ordering a frame?

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
You should be discussing this with your frame builder.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have every faith that my frame builder knows a lot about running a Chinese titanium factory, but not so much about the ride characteristics of the products. In any case it's not a discussion I want to have in Engrish via email.

I'd rather be sure myself.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Seems like you pretty much nailed it. To me the parts availability is the main issue:

Most if not all the 83mm cranks out there will be DH/Freeride, very heavy for an 'all rounder' bike.

For wheels it'll be a similar story and you'll probably have to have a custom wheel built with a 150mm hub and a lighter rim, unless you wanna ride full DH wheels.

Secondly, I am not sure but I have never seen a quick release style thru axle in a 150, it's always a thru bolt. This means you're carrying a large allen wench in your pack or walking home.

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
What ddprocter said...also, personally I have issues with heel strikes on cranks and chain stays, which 150 would just make worse. Not done any touring myself, but does that have an effect on balance with heavy panniers?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
wider q-factor is not an advantage. It's a huge, huge disadvantage if you're going to be pedaling much.
The drivetrain will not be "tougher" or "stiffer" simply by moving them out 5mm.

Q-factor is the #1 reason why 150/83 is not found on anything but DH and fatbikes. Parts availability would change if people wanted it to. The width of your hips doesn't, and pedaling with your feet that far out is a knee injury just about guaranteed eventually.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Heel strike could be a risk, because I'm planning to install some more proportional cranks too, but wider Q-factor really is a benefit for me. Pedal extenders are the parts available for that! I was getting shocking knee pain until a cycling physio puy 20mm extenders on. I've got very odd proportions, however, which is why bike fitting is a nightmare and I'm looking to a custom frame. I don't imagine there's a huge market for a wide Q-factor bike.

Weight and parts availability are still the big issues, but there's also the risk of going right down the rabbit hole with oversizing everything. Hell, if I'm having an 83mm BB and a 150mm rear hub, it only makes sense to have a 135mm front hub! And 220mm cranks! Oversized headset! 48-spoke wheels!

And that's a fatbike.

Think I'll stick with the standards until I'm rich and can have whatever ridiculous frankenbike I want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts