Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
most memberable
721 Posts
I'm just glad I hiked/biked/trail ran all that stuff in the last 20 odd years, before they make sanitized-for-your-protection/user-friendly fire-road-wide trails for all!

Once all the new trails are in (5-10 years from now), (I hope) I'll still be young enough to hike/ride them.

Change is always inevitable...

·
Registered
616 Posts
there's going to be a public meeting and review of sorts.
I don't think any of it matters seeing as how most of the decisions were made before the public saw any of the drafts.

All those trails listed to be closed(trespassing)... someone hasn't been doing a very good job at managing open space, apparently.

·
Registered
616 Posts
truth of the matter is, if one is closed, another is built elsewhere.

I used to get upset because myself and so many others were trying to do "the right thing" and try and make legal and legit trails. Now, I just shake my head and figure I'll ride elsewhere. Not going to build illegally but if it's not signed, I guess it's a legal trail. I look around the park and there's no parking signs, no remote controlled vehicles signs, no smoking signs, no drinking signs and so on. If it looks like a trail and it's not signed as "no trail" then it must be a trail.

The claimed damage done is multiplied by closures as new trails just pop up elsewhere. City staff seems to work in a "as long as it's not in my territory" manner. Decision makers support everything from 30 million to a failed party in Balboa Park to multiple million on empty equestrian facilities but no one wants to support or back off road bicycle infrastructure.

People aren't going to stop riding. Some tickets may be issued. There will never be a resolution because there's not a problem (this is page out of Chris Z's book... a problem never existed, so no need for a resolution.)

Lots of riders are trying/have tried to do things "the right way" but it seems to have all fallen on dear ears. Now every canyon and open space will have a trail (most already do but they weren't all ridden). I saw a group of kids with picks and shovels the other day, digging away. Rode by and gave them a thumbs up. When you (this is for you city staff reading this) start to point a finger at riders, note you have three fingers pointing back at yourself and your lack of willingness for a resolution has led to the utter failure which is trails management in the city.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
truth of the matter is, if one is closed, another is built elsewhere.

I used to get upset because myself and so many others were trying to do "the right thing" and try and make legal and legit trails. Now, I just shake my head and figure I'll ride elsewhere. Not going to build illegally but if it's not signed, I guess it's a legal trail. I look around the park and there's no parking signs, no remote controlled vehicles signs, no smoking signs, no drinking signs and so on. If it looks like a trail and it's not signed as "no trail" then it must be a trail.

The claimed damage done is multiplied by closures as new trails just pop up elsewhere. City staff seems to work in a "as long as it's not in my territory" manner. Decision makers support everything from 30 million to a failed party in Balboa Park to multiple million on empty equestrian facilities but no one wants to support or back off road bicycle infrastructure.

People aren't going to stop riding. Some tickets may be issued. There will never be a resolution because there's not a problem (this is page out of Chris Z's book... a problem never existed, so no need for a resolution.)

Lots of riders are trying/have tried to do things "the right way" but it seems to have all fallen on dear ears. Now every canyon and open space will have a trail (most already do but they weren't all ridden). I saw a group of kids with picks and shovels the other day, digging away. Rode by and gave them a thumbs up. When you (this is for you city staff reading this) start to point a finger at riders, note you have three fingers pointing back at yourself and your lack of willingness for a resolution has led to the utter failure which is trails management in the city.
I totally agree. The Del Mar Mesa 7 year (So Far) debacle is reason enough for bikers who abstained from riding illegally to abandon all hope. Our legal option in that area was bulldozed. Now we are faced with more trails in North County that will also be destroyed by development. I used to frown upon those individuals who rode and built illegally. Now I feel that those individuals who have a deep love and passion for trail riding have been let down by our public parks staff and officials. Our voices, numbers and needs have been ignored.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.